Walther Wever

Serpico

War Hero
Evening lads,

I'm finally getting round to starting a degree in history soon, and have also long wanted to write on the subject too. As I'll need to be researching and writing some pieces for the degree, I figure I'd be as well to take the plunge now and cut my teeth, as it were.

So, as per the thread title, am planning a project writing about how Wever's death may have affected WWII in a rather large way, IE, had he not died and the Uralbomber project continued, perhaps it could have contributed to knocking both us and Russia out of the war.

I'm wondering if is there any decent biographies of Wever, or any in depth sections about him in any Luftwaffe themed books? And what book detailing the history of the Luftwaffe would folk consider to be definitive? In English or German.

Lastly, how does the whole idea strike you, would it be something you would pick up off the shelves and read?

Cheers

An excellent idea, if he had lived the Battle of Britain may have ended differently, and even if not, the Blitz would have been far more painful for us.

As he died (comparitively) well before WW2 started there is not much on him in the popular literature. Which degree are you doing? Your supervisor should be able to point you in the right direction but try Eagles of the Third Reich and the JSTOR database.

Good Luck!

@JamesCorum (sometimes seen on these means, albeit last clarifying the origins of a tie), is the man for this…

His book The Luftwaffe: Creating the Operational Air War 1918-1940 is an excellent starting point; the work he did with Richard R Muller - which, at present, you’re likely to have to get from a library via ILL - The Luftwaffe’s Way of War: German Air Force Doctrine 1911- 1945 would also be helpful. Edward Homzoe’s Arming the Luftwaffe is old, but also worth a look.

You’ll find some stuff in Allen R Millett & Williamson Murray’s Military Effectiveness series (3 vols) which is worth a look, and Murray’s Luftwaffe: Strategy for Defeat would probably be helpful.

Latest Threads