Walther G-22

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tried one of these today.

Layout is good, balance fine, handling and controls good. Iron sights usable. Very reliable - no stoppages and a very smooth action. Generally pleasing all in all...
    [​IMG]
    ...except: - the worst trigger I've ever found on a real firearm. (I'm not exaggerating) and a tendency to split groups. At 50 yds, a .5" group of three with the other two opening it up to 1 1/4" or 1 3/4"
    This is shot rested off a bag with 9x scope. By comparison my old BSA Sportsman with 6x scope turned in between 1/4" and 1/2" under the same conditions.

I think if the Walther had a decent trigger and the groups could be tightened up it would make a very useful rabbit rifle, especially with a bipod, moderator and Night vision sight. The layout would lend itself to the task.

Any thoughts?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Got to say I dont see the point in this type of gun, but if you like it and its fun maybe its worth having a custom shop work on the trigger?
    It may even be worth checking yourself if the mechanism is simply enough to take apart and polish yourself...

3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've got one coming in for a customer this week - I'll let you know what I think.

Edited to add: I've just spoken to the Importer, and they said they've tried all sorts of faffing around with indirect trigger pull mechanism, including a fixed block that the rod runs through half way down its length - all without enough of an improvement to warrant the effort.

It's like having a progressive pistol trigger, but without the finesse. Those that have used these firearms for any period of time are saying that they basically get used to it and it ceases to be a problem, and the bullpup config and subsequent short length advantages for firing from vehicles outweighs the issue with the spongy trigger.

I've ordered two - one in black (RH) and one in green (RH) - but if anyone wants one, I can get the 630mm barrelled versions too, or even order them in dessert (the god knows why) camo, or digicam.

Don't bother ordering the 'brown' stock as it looks like the colour has been put on with a crayon.

I'm doing them for £420 - unfortunately, that's because the pooooond has crashed in value.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I did hear a couple of moans about them when they first came out a year or two ago, lets face it without the money spend on accessories the 10/22 is probably no ccompetition but priced in the US at Walmart at less than $150 retail makes it hard to walk past!

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You cannot expect much for that price, sounds like junk not worth spending the time/effort/money on....

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats why they sell so many, you can spend about 3 times the value of the rifle in addons. This may be the answer with the G22 but they probably arent priced that way and they will never achieve a 10th of the volume that Ruger have managed!

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's cheap and cheerful, and for close-in bunny whacking and the like, a bit of a giggle - but you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Ruger is a totally different ball-game, and you pay a lot more for it.

Would I buy one of these? Only if I was skint, had another vermin control rifle, and fancied it for a laugh, or wanted to shoot at close range from inside a vehicle . . . . otherwise, if I was skint, I'd get a CZ, and if I wasn't skint, I'd get a Ruger or something else.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We pay more for our Rugers than we should considering the work needed to make them accurate, whats the retail on the G22 Biped?

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Retail on the G22, as standard, RRP: £434

I'm afraid there's bugger all margin to reduce the price beyond what I'm doing at £420 (Though for ARRSERS, I might be able to drop it another £10).

[​IMG]

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

For that money I would expect a decent trigger unit!

11. This shouldn't be dismissed as a gimmick. The layout and ergonomics are first class. As soon as you pick it up you feel like it's an extension of you.
    I think with work the trigger and group splitting could be fixed but unless you have the capability yourself it's going to make it rather expensive.

I would still seriously consider one. (I have my own workshop!)

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've also got a GSG5 coming in - I'll let you know on that one - no experience or knowledge of it at this time.

Price is £490

[​IMG]

13. The extra £70 for not being taken for HARDMAN476? Well worth the cash!

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I can see that being trialled on squirrels!

15. Biped:

Bet you keep the GSG-5, very good fun.

You can keep the Walther though, it looks gayer than a FAMAS with a tulip stuck in the muzzle.

And cheers for your help before Chrimbo again, he was made up!!