Walt Spotting

Just had a poss sighting while taking sprogs to McD's. Guy in dpm's hiking boots and maroon hiking boots.Badged up with flag, 16 AA brigade and DZ flashes- No Para wings!! Got right knocky when asked him how he could be a para without wings. Whaddya reckon Walt or not. Also in deepest Sussex and nearest unit TA sigs or PWRR.Maybe he was just a rupert who'd got lost? :?

Sorry typo- brain going gaga should read Maroon Para T shirt!!

Well done, you reminded me of a walt I saw on Sunday...meant to post this.
I was sitting in a mate's car on a garage's forecourt, waiting for him as he queued to pay for petrol, I saw a guy in DPMs - what looked like an Arctic smock - filling up his motor on the next set of pumps to my left, I was reading the paper and thought nothing of it, as I didn't have a good view, but as he walked off to pay, I clocked a sandy beret popping out of his trouser pockets, neatly folded so the 'Winged Dagger' was on full view!!! He looked in his early 20's - mid 20's at a push.
My mate passed him in the doorway but didn't see this and when I told him he was going to wait around, but the queue was long and we were late....so left him to his Walt devices.

Wish I'd done something now - even if I found out it was legit (TA?), I could have told him not to be a dick!

I was at Pegasus bridge for the D Day memorial a few years ago, and the Walts were swarming like flies on sh*t. One night, I was nearly ran off the road in the unit minibus by one of these clowns driving an unlit half-track out of road side woods.

I saw a bloke the other week all dressed up in full dpms and para beret on a friday night in a chippy in Edinburgh. He didnt have any DZ flash or para wings on his shirt and (i may be very wrong) but i dont think any para units are in Edinburgh at the moment, and TA is on tuesdays.
What do you reckon, walt or not?

Rossi said:
I saw a bloke the other week all dressed up in full dpms and para beret on a friday night in a chippy in Edinburgh. He didnt have any DZ flash or para wings on his shirt and (i may be very wrong) but i dont think any para units are in Edinburgh at the moment, and TA is on tuesdays.
15 (Scottish) Company 4 PARA?

hackle said:
Rossi said:
Glasgow I believe. Mind you, Friday night he could have been hunting down his last decent meal before a trg. weekend?

Cuddles said:
hackle said:
Rossi said:
Glasgow I believe. Mind you, Friday night he could have been hunting down his last decent meal before a trg. weekend?
Sounds very much like 15 Para Coy. Not all have got wings (on their dpm). Damned good Bn in the old days!! :cry:

It's interesting though that many are not sure whether these guys are Walts or real...? Maybe the answer is if you're not sure ask them outright for an example:

"Hey are you guys re-enactors?" That way if they are real then all they're going to do is tell you to F off. :lol:

Rossi said:
Paras reside in Edinburgh.

devilish said:
Rossi said:
Paras reside in Edinburgh.
Exactly. AFAIK, 15 (Scottish) Coy are in both Glasgow and Edinburgh. As T_S mentioned, successors to a fine and sadly disbanded battalion.

Someone 'all dressed up in full dpms' on a Fri night, and in a chippy 8O , did not seem so extraordinary to me either.

Probably getting his fish supper before going on a weekend jolly.

Got two possible walt badge wearing saddo's at my place at the moment.

How do I check up to see if they really are jumps qualified and Commando-ed up?

Carlos_Hathcock_II said:

Carlos... You some kind of Marine Sniper then? 8)

A walt (short for Walter Mitty) is a person who either big times their military credentials or claims to be something they're not. example pillocks who dress up as paras , sas etc when they are really shelf stackers at the local Tesco

Could use some help/advice with a poss walt that I've just been reminded about. Anyone familiar with Worthing will now the Assembly Halls. The guy who runs the bar there has tons of SAS and para pics and photos and when questioned does a good job of fronting it out. Is anyone aware of this place and is he a walt or for real? Would love him to be a walt as his beer is outrageously expensive.

PAWPERSOG said:
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:

Carlos... You some kind of Marine Sniper then? 8)

:oops: Yep. USMC and Navy Seal and ...and....and.....er..... no. Not a marine at all. :lol:

Private_Pike said:
Could use some help/advice with a poss walt that I've just been reminded about. Anyone familiar with Worthing will now the Assembly Halls. The guy who runs the bar there has tons of SAS and para pics and photos and when questioned does a good job of fronting it out. Is anyone aware of this place and is he a walt or for real? Would love him to be a walt as his beer is outrageously expensive.
He's probably genuine, after all, Worthings crawling with SF types, just ask BB. :wink:

Private_Pike said:
Just had a poss sighting while taking sprogs to McD's. Guy in dpm's hiking boots and maroon hiking boots.Badged up with flag, 16 AA brigade and DZ flashes- No Para wings!! Got right knocky when asked him how he could be a para without wings. Whaddya reckon Walt or not. Also in deepest Sussex and nearest unit TA sigs or PWRR.Maybe he was just a rupert who'd got lost? :?
Can you remember which DZ flash? Its possible it was someone posted to one of the Bde Units (eg Sigs or Medics) who has not done P Coy or Jumps. If this bloke was trying to Walt, surely he would definitely had a set of wings somewhere??

Ghost

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Waltenkommando 68
T The NAAFI Bar 11
S Current Affairs, News and Analysis 33