Walt or not?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by YorkieDragoon, Apr 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wore a pair of my grandfather's old cufflinks a couple of evenings ago. He was in the crabs during WWII until the early '50s. The cufflinks were from 578 Bomber Sqn. Someone commented on them, asking if I was in the Air Force. Replying that I wasn't, I was harangued for wearing them, as I was allegedly pretending to be in the Air Force.

Now- quite apart from the fact that I would never wish anyone to gain the impression that I was a crab, this did make me wonder if wearing something discreet like a pair of my grandfather's cufflinks, to a unit that hasn't even existed for the last 60 years, can really be construed as walting.....? 8O

2. Ignore them. I proudly wear my fathers medals, no2s and beret when I go out to the shops. So proud of that, I even have his old capbadge tattood on my arm, chest and neck.

When people ask me if I really am a Sally Army vet, I just stare into the distance.

3. I am in the Navy, but I proudly wear my great uncle's para beret badge on my black ferret. I can't see a problem with it - unlike the ruffians who chased me all the way to Aldershot train station on ABF day.

4. I wear my Grans old uniform in honour of her service, i have been accosted on quite a few occassions and lambasted for not being a member of Fany, so i lower my rates and that usually appeases them.

5. I was really glad to see the replies in this thread, as I have for some years been wearing my grandads puttees from World War One, admittedly they do look a bit strange with a dinner suit, but one becomes attached to things, don't you think. They smell as well.

6. I wore my Dad's old dress uniform and medals at Remembrance last year as I'd left mine at camp. So what if he was an SS-Unterscharführer with 2 wound badges and the Iron Cross with oak leaves.

7. I liked that. :D

8. My dad was an SS-Obersturmfuehrer so I hope you click your heels if you see me on the way to Witherspoons for a quick Jaegermeister or two.

They have also built a Synagogue at the end of our street.

Could be fun.

9. when i was a kid in the 70s my family were so poor me and me brother got our school clothes from the army and navy shop!

i got bullied for being dressed as a japanese general!!!!!!!! :D

10. You're that scouse 'comedian' that used to talk about the jeeeeeeeeemins you are. Or the 'fokkers in their messerschmidts'

Can I claim my £5?

11. Wearing my late grandfathers chefs whites and checked trousers brings out such strong emotions in me I cant help but skulk around with greasy hair, spotty skin and a miserable face while uttering 'One sausage, 1 piece of bacon’ and rapping hungry men over the knuckles with a fish slice.

12. My old man was 22 SAS, i would wear his medals but nothing else.

13. That sounds quite painfull. Do you bleed very much when pinning them to your naked flesh. Have you got photo's?

14. I use harry black silly

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

As I have recently taken to dressing like Adolf Hitler I shall expect undying loyalty and plenty of heel clicking if we ever meet

I shall put a plan together to get that synagogue sorted for you I'll organise a night (just got to think of a name)

Oh hang on scrap that the shop keepers back

Ben(Mr)
    [​IMG]