Walt or not?

I wore a pair of my grandfather's old cufflinks a couple of evenings ago. He was in the crabs during WWII until the early '50s. The cufflinks were from 578 Bomber Sqn. Someone commented on them, asking if I was in the Air Force. Replying that I wasn't, I was harangued for wearing them, as I was allegedly pretending to be in the Air Force.

Now- quite apart from the fact that I would never wish anyone to gain the impression that I was a crab, this did make me wonder if wearing something discreet like a pair of my grandfather's cufflinks, to a unit that hasn't even existed for the last 60 years, can really be construed as walting.....? 8O

YorkieDragoon said:
I wore a pair of my grandfather's old cufflinks a couple of evenings ago. He was in the crabs during WWII until the early '50s. The cufflinks were from 578 Bomber Sqn. Someone commented on them, asking if I was in the Air Force. Replying that I wasn't, I was harangued for wearing them, as I was allegedly pretending to be in the Air Force.

Now- quite apart from the fact that I would never wish anyone to gain the impression that I was a crab, this did make me wonder if wearing something discreet like a pair of my grandfather's cufflinks, to a unit that hasn't even existed for the last 60 years, can really be construed as walting.....? 8O
Ignore them. I proudly wear my fathers medals, no2s and beret when I go out to the shops. So proud of that, I even have his old capbadge tattood on my arm, chest and neck.

When people ask me if I really am a Sally Army vet, I just stare into the distance.

I am in the Navy, but I proudly wear my great uncle's para beret badge on my black ferret. I can't see a problem with it - unlike the ruffians who chased me all the way to Aldershot train station on ABF day.

I wear my Grans old uniform in honour of her service, i have been accosted on quite a few occassions and lambasted for not being a member of Fany, so i lower my rates and that usually appeases them.

I was really glad to see the replies in this thread, as I have for some years been wearing my grandads puttees from World War One, admittedly they do look a bit strange with a dinner suit, but one becomes attached to things, don't you think. They smell as well.

I wore my Dad's old dress uniform and medals at Remembrance last year as I'd left mine at camp. So what if he was an SS-Unterscharführer with 2 wound badges and the Iron Cross with oak leaves.

FiveAlpha said:
I wore my Dad's old dress uniform and medals at Remembrance last year as I'd left mine at camp. So what if he was an SS-Unterscharführer with 2 wound badges and the Iron Cross with oak leaves.

I liked that. :D

FiveAlpha said:
My dad was an SS-Obersturmfuehrer so I hope you click your heels if you see me on the way to Witherspoons for a quick Jaegermeister or two.

They have also built a Synagogue at the end of our street.

Could be fun.

when i was a kid in the 70s my family were so poor me and me brother got our school clothes from the army and navy shop!

i got bullied for being dressed as a japanese general!!!!!!!! :D

doonhamer said:
when i was a kid in the 70s my family were so poor me and me brother got our school clothes from the army and navy shop!

i got bullied for being dressed as a japanese general!!!!!!!! :D
You're that scouse 'comedian' that used to talk about the jeeeeeeeeemins you are. Or the 'fokkers in their messerschmidts'

Can I claim my £5?

Wearing my late grandfathers chefs whites and checked trousers brings out such strong emotions in me I cant help but skulk around with greasy hair, spotty skin and a miserable face while uttering 'One sausage, 1 piece of bacon’ and rapping hungry men over the knuckles with a fish slice.

looney said:
My old man was 22 SAS, i would wear his medals but nothing else.
That sounds quite painfull. Do you bleed very much when pinning them to your naked flesh. Have you got photo's?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
LancePrivateJones said:
FiveAlpha said:
My dad was an SS-Obersturmfuehrer so I hope you click your heels if you see me on the way to Witherspoons for a quick Jaegermeister or two.

Could be fun.
As I have recently taken to dressing like Adolf Hitler I shall expect undying loyalty and plenty of heel clicking if we ever meet

I shall put a plan together to get that synagogue sorted for you I'll organise a night (just got to think of a name)

Oh hang on scrap that the shop keepers back

Ben(Mr)

LancePrivateJones said:
FiveAlpha said:

Could be fun.
The problems of wearing a fascist uniform to a remembrance parade only really became apparent when I started allocating seating to the elderly veterans using a bullwhip and screaming 'links' or 'recht'. The towering, burning chimneys of the local power station and the waft of a pig roast at a local open day only added to the atmosphere I thought.

FiveAlpha said:
LancePrivateJones said:
FiveAlpha said:

Could be fun.
The problems of wearing a fascist uniform to a remembrance parade only really became apparent when I started allocating seating to the elderly veterans using a bullwhip and screaming 'links' or 'recht'. The towering, burning chimneys of the local power station and the waft of a pig roast at a local open day only added to the atmosphere I thought.
What problems were they? I would have thought a nice black uniform with a couple of skulls on the collar and hat would have got the elderly in line a lot quicker than Army No 1s? Or was it because the seating wasn't responding to the bullwhip?

Excognito said:
FiveAlpha said:
LancePrivateJones said:
FiveAlpha said:

Could be fun.
What problems were they? I would have thought a nice black uniform with a couple of skulls on the collar and hat would have got the elderly in line a lot quicker than Army No 1s? Or was it because the seating wasn't responding to the bullwhip?
As an ex Lancer I've always had skulls on my collar

YorkieDragoon said:

Now- quite apart from the fact that I would never wish anyone to gain the impression that I was a crab,
this did make me wonder if wearing something discreet like a pair of my grandfather's cufflinks, to a unit that hasn't even existed for the last 60 years, can really be construed as walting.....? 8O
You're a crab you are. :)

I still wear my great grandads respirator when the wife farts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The Intelligence Cell 7
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 9
Mighty_doh_nut Infantry 38