Walt in Singapore

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by somme883, Dec 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone know if this military novel writer based in Singapore served with 3 Para from 1979-87 including in the Falklands - and apparently also with the SAS - as he claims in local TV interviews in Asia? His pictures on his website of his "Parachute Regiment Days" don't have any pics of him and don't look like they are 79-87 vintage - not using 58 pattern webbing, freefall pic upside down etc.

Mark Powell Author
  2. Considering one of his HALO pics was a mate of mine who's now dead I would hazard a guess that.........
  3. Here's his Facebook profile:

Not many ex Para Regt blokes on there as his friend!!
  4. somme,no one really cares mate.If yer man is harmless,leave him alone perhaps?
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Well if he has nicked someone's name, it'd be in rather poor taste. Clr Sgt Powell died in Iraq in 2007.
  6. True but I reckon the family of the bloke in the HALO pic might get the hump that he trying to pass himself off as him!

I'm referring to this image by the way:

Mark Powell Author

The blokes been dead over 10 years and many of his HALO pics used to hang on the wall of the Peggy in Aldershot.

Edit to add: It's the solo freefaller pic.

7. That's not the bloke in the HALO pic Gremlin......it's a bloke with the initials of KW who was in the PF's and Red Devils.
  8. Gremlin

Didn't mean that it was JD. I'm just saying that if he is making up porkies and has used an assumed name, then it's a bit of a cunt's trick.
  9. Totally agree.
    Usually on FB if I click on a Para Regt blokes profile who said he served in the 80's it usually pops up with a couple of dozen mutual friends but there's none on this guys site.
    Just noticed as well that in the group of 4 blokes stood on the tailgate that one of them looks like the ex brother-in-law of a poster on this site....I'll point it his way.
  10. Its the NAAFI bar, now Ive got the outragebus revving, so you go and get a length of hemp to hang him with
  11. Unless of course he's using his 'prior' service and experience to lend credibility to his writing and speaking engagements. If he has falsified his past then it casts into doubt what he writes and talks about.
  12. The righthand person in the black and white photo looks as though its him
  13. He is a busy guy, give him that.

Busy months ahead. SAS survival course in UK, joining a team of anti-pirate experts in feb and Africa poaching unit in March. And write!

Me im packing brussel sprouts.
  14. Gremlin

Possible, apart from a few minor facts if you take his dates of 79-87 as true:

The SA80 wasn't in service until 1987.
    Given the chest rig those guys are wearing it's either NI or training for deployment; None of the PARA Bn's were in Ireland then.
    Likewise if he was meant to have been in the SAS, how can there be a picture of him with an SA80 in PARA dress, unless he was RTU'd?
  15. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Personally I was never para reg nor in the army in the dates he claimed.

However, any charlie with a grinning physog on their website with "extremely covert individual" written underneath might not be a walt but he certainly is an utter cretin.

Having looked at his para reg piccies I would say the last one of the sniper isn't a scanned print from 20 years ago...