Wall Street Journal : Taliban to take a leaf from Vietnam..Tet 2.0.?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Goatman, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

For those barely shaving on here, the Tet offensive took place in South Vietnam in 1968.

TV images of US marines and MPs storming their own Embassy in Saigon thought to have had a significant impact on hastening US withdrawal , even though militarily Tet was a disaster for the VietCong and North Vietnam seriously debated withdrawing support following its failure.

Taliban Evoke a Vietnam Flashback - WSJ.com

Also chimes with USFOR lack of trust for ANSF allies: during Tet, Vietcong disguised as South Vietnamese Air Force infiltrated USAF base ( and executed a number of USAF personnel
  2. I suppose aproblem with a Tet-like jobbie would be a sizeable chunk of the Taliban (to my knowledge) enlist for the pay, which is higher than the average Afghan's wage. Does Johnny taliban want to stop the safer (for them) opportunistic IED-ing of ISAF and engage ISAF in fighting which will likely result a much higher mortality rate for him? Time's on their side, and they know it. They're aware that full scale warfare is unwinnable for them (they've known that since Ivan had a go, and he was a damn sight more ruthless than ISAF), they're just sticking to the plan.
  3. Aren't there also accusations that the Tet Offensive was used to bleed the Southern Vietnamese pinkos white to ensure total Northern dominance when a unified Vietnam came about?
    As CC said can't see it being in the Taliban's interests to risk it, just because it worked once, it could just as well harden the Americans stance with Obama possibly not wanting to be the President who 'lost' Afghanistan or could simply lead to the Talibs getting an absolute hammering and cost them the men and equipment they need for having a crack at the ANA when the West buggers off.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

funny old world when the Wall Street Journal predicts something , which gets pooh-poohed by military experts ...and then comes to pass......

Life imitating art ? Or shrewd observation ?

A friend of mine has a son working in Kabul - she was bricking it yesterday when the phonelines stopped.........it will be instructive to see how this bears on the proposed peace talks in Qatar.....

SOURCE -( also Telegraph, Times. D Mail etc )

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...and the Reuters piece today:

6. Despite what The WSJ might infer, this latest attack in Kabul was a pin prick by comparison with the Tet Offensive.

This was the kind of reporting which helped to mould US domestic opinion back in '68.

Tet Offensive 1968, US Embassy & Saigon fighting - YouTube

On the plus side, the corespondents tended to wear cotton rather than kevlar.

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yeah......vivid memory from my childhood of a very young Martin Bell reporting from Saigon during Tet clutching one of those old style OB mikes ........ according to Robert Mcnamara , following Tet, Gen Westmoreland asked for a further 50,000 troops to press home what he saw as the U.S military advantage.

The response was along the lines

" General, if you can't win this war with 450,000 men what makes you think you can win it with half a million ? "

Michael Yon busily describing it as a nuisance raid of no military significance......... on y voit......
  8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Now I feel really old. I wonder how much they bribed the guy for planning permission to put a high building overlooking the site. Or is that too much farsightedness even for a long game as Afghanistan?