Walking with the Wounded. Sponsered 100km Hike across Jordan.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Hello to you all.

My wife, Nikki, is currently in training for an event she has volunteered to attend in Late October this year.

" The Wadi Rum Challenge " hosted by the Walking With The Wounded charity, which will be raising funds to provide a more accessible and quicker to attain mental health service geared towards those that who have served and other services such as employment and court advice, to name a few.

100km across Jordan over 4 days on some challenging terrain with the aim to raise at least £800 in sponsorship.

Apart from a limited amount of recreational hiking, this is the first time that Nikki has attempted something of this scale and she is going at this full bore with a substantial amount of jogging, weights and starting to put some decent miles under her boots at the weekend to get trail fit. I am proud of the effort she is putting in....especially as I keep sneaking in heavy items for her to carry without her knowledge.

If my basic media skills are working, I have hopefully put a link to her sponsorship page at the bottom of this and we would dearly appreciate any sponsors for this valid cause.

Welcome - Walking With The Wounded

This sponsor page has been given the thumbs up by Bad Co.

Last edited:

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Nikki has just done her first 10 mile , hilly terrain, test hike in her new boots, a properly fitted set of Scarpa Mistral GTX....and the boots are perfect for her

Rucksack we have chosen is a Lowe Alpine 25 litre Aeon, with excellent fitting and support....not expecting to carry much weight beyond essential stuff but the comfort is important if new to trekking.

If anyone has good suggestions for clothing choices, lightweight hiking equipment or tips and tricks for the trek, plus feel free to share as it will be very much appreciated.

@Joker62 did a 100km walk. It might be worth hearing about the painful bits.

Is she doing this for her benefit or someone else's?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I once spent a few days there, not doing anything as strenuous as walking 100km.

Weirdly beautiful place, gets a little warm. The biggest issue we had was the sand is very soft in some places, a shemagh is a wonderful piece of kit to carry along with sunglasses

we had to be the only people who'd hire a mute guide.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Is she doing this for her benefit or someone else's?
Nikki has had a literal front row seat in dealing with the fallout of mental health concerns. To be blunt, that was me from dealing with a rapid series of highly stressful and horrendous incidents in the emergency services......and receiving bugger all useful assistance.

This opened her eyes to how hard it is to attain prompt and effective help when it was needed.....especially as almost all my colleagues and ex-army mates had signs and symptoms causing concern

Good luck!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Joker62 did a 100km walk. It might be worth hearing about the painful bits.
Mine was 100Km over a flat course, very little in the way of undulations, plus it was done in 24hrs so more of a speed walk rather than an endurance walk. Clothing wise, could I suggest a pair of these trousers:-
Amazon productVery lightweight, multitude of pockets for snacks and the like, showerproof (not that that will be needed). A pair of walking poles might come in handy too.
As for painful bits, I'd worn in the boots I wore so no blisters, but 100km will take it's toll as I lost one toenail before the finish and another a couple of days later, other than that it was just muscle pain from the amount of walking and extreme tiredness as I'd been awake for close to 48hrs before I got back home. I hope the OH enjoys it, sponsor money on it's way, good luck to her.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
At the Adventure Film Travel Festival this weekend in the Cotswolds with the opportunity to put up a few posters.

Quite a lot of support by people who deem mental health services to be lacking and especially lacking for the armed forces. Interesting that it received a lot of support from people who have no direct connection to the forces.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
95% of sponsor money raised.

The training is going quite well indeed. Having to juggle what needs to be achieved around work commitments, looking after family and other aspects obviously limits what can be done though.

22km walk today over varying terrain and a few long steep sections throughout and 5 hours taken to to cover it, with the proposed route in Jordan being approx 25km each day with 6 to 8 hours suggested.

Nikki is currently carrying the rucksack she will be wearing at the exact weight required.

We are intending to do a 3 day ( 25km-ish a day ) back to back walk on the bank holiday at the same pace and weight and I am of the mind to only increase the level of weight and distance that Nikki does slightly, over the next few weeks with consideration that we are old gits who heal and recover slower and I do not want to over train her.

Suggestions on how to progress are appreciated if you have done this type of stuff before.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Update on the training for the " Walking With The Wounded " trek that my wife Nikki is doing in October this year

INJURED.

Not Nikki, me. Whilst out hiking with her, I was the silly bugger not paying attention and managed to do a backflip down an incline and knackering me ankle.....I have now introduced Nikki to the morale boosting phenomenon of having to do even more miles by hiking ahead and then coming back to me due to my pathetic limping.

Excellent amount of sponsor ship raised for mental health services so far.