Walking/Trekking Sandals Advice

Plenty of shoe and boot threads about but wondered what people are wearing in terms of walking/trekking sandals when doing city breaks etc in the heat of the Summer.

Needing a replacement pair and thought I would tap into experience of those who may have some old faithfuls that are still on the market or may have found recent bargains.

DDS card at the ready, thanks in advance.

Just make sure that whatever you buy has enclosed toecaps; stops stubbed toes and handy for kicking beggars.

UORMan

War Hero
Depends where and when you are walking.
You need to take into account, will you be walking over "sharp" stones etc, that may cut into the soles or is it very sandy, in which case it could get between your sandal and foot and cause abrasions, if your footwear going to get wet often, therefore maybe rule out leather. Do your feet sweat a lot, so you may need socks.

You could try a "hobnailed" sandal, with socks, it seemed to work Ok for the Romans

Can you get sandals that are fully enclosed, designed to be worn with socks so people don't have to see your rancid feet?

Sounds much better.

Rocky sandals. There are a few wet environment ones that work well for scrambling over rocks and surf fishing, so should be fine for bimbling down the high street enhanced by white socks.

Last edited:
Plenty of shoe and boot threads about but wondered what people are wearing in terms of walking/trekking sandals when doing city breaks etc in the heat of the Summer.

Needing a replacement pair and thought I would tap into experience of those who may have some old faithfuls that are still on the market or may have found recent bargains.

DDS card at the ready, thanks in advance.
Just don't...for the love of everything that is sacred do not do it...they are the most disgusting items of footwear ever invented. Wearers should be stoned, whipped then flogged....

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Clark's. Every time.

But it depends what you mean by walking/trekking. If I was doing any serious walking I'd put on walking boots, whatever the temperature!

I have some Karrimor closed toe sandals from Sports Direct; almost cheap enough to be disposable, though they are lasting well in wet wadi conditions.

Just make sure that whatever you buy has enclosed toecaps; stops stubbed toes and handy for kicking beggars.
Or a size bigger than You normally take.Toes then protected by leading edge. I had a pair made by Chatham. Leather uppers and sturdy sole. Still going strong after four years in Asia and Africa. I was surprised the leather held up so well in the humidity.

Ho Chi Minh sandals have good grip - provided you remember not to mix radial and crossply.

Keen Newport have shod my trotters for the past 8 years, same bomb proof pair (stand fast Dingerr) and have helped make me the windswept and interesting guy that I am.

Leather uppers have faded from too much sun and salt water, but the anti bacterial sole still does a good job in keeping the feet to just honking levels of odour.

You could get SOURCE sandals - the company that gave us VIRTUS
I wore them for years and they were pretty good. They were inspired by the excellent Yankee TEVA sandals. Nowadays there are so many inexpensive alternatives - such as the karrimor model mentioned in an earlier post.

I recommend trying out CROCS classic model - they aren't cheap but since I tried em I stopped using sandals.

You could get SOURCE sandals - the company that gave us VIRTUS
I wore them for years and they were pretty good. They were inspired by the excellent Yankee TEVA sandals. Nowadays there are so many inexpensive alternatives - such as the karrimor model mentioned in an earlier post.

I recommend trying out CROCS classic model - they aren't cheap but since I tried em I stopped using sandals.
1565180088087.png
I think i've seen You on Metzitzim beach Loofkar... ;)

View attachment 409136 I think i've seen You on Metzitzim beach Loofkar... ;)
Crocs are one of the better things to come out of the USA in recent years. They are mega comfortable, weigh almost nothing and very easy to keep clean. You can use them freely on land or in the water. They were originally designed as an improvement on topsider shoes for yachting. Due to their almost zero weight and versatility, I consider them better than sandals for carrying on treks - sandals are inevitably heavier. I have more than one pair since I use them as house shoes too.