Walking the Pembrokeshire Coastal path

Penally Range Control 01834 845950
Still had the number on my phone from some climbing up there. Incidentally opposite the camp is a very well preserved block ofWW1 training trenches, have a look on google earth or follow the link

This 3 word address refers to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.
You beat me to it... ;)

Well yes there is that but I have wild camped for best part of 25 years and only been asked to move on and a crafty fiver fixed that :)
There are plenty of wooded sections and if asked I'd never recommend, nor admit to staying overnight in the abandoned military building at ring-contour 103, to the west of Strumble Head (886394). ;)

Several sections are also well away from roads or habitation, so while regularly walked, aren't visited in the middle of the night by rangers or the Heddlu... Serial-killers and PIRA, however... ;)

DaveDaffe

War Hero
There are plenty of wooded sections and if asked I'd never recommend, nor admit to staying overnight in the abandoned military building at ring-contour 103, to the west of Strumble Head (886394). ;)

Several sections are also well away from roads or habitation, so while regularly walked, aren't visited in the middle of the night by rangers or the Heddlu... Serial-killers and PIRA, however... ;)
Cheers mate :)

Cheers mate :)
No worries. You're welcome to the serial-killers and PIRA arms-caches... Though we haven't had any recently... That we know of... ;)

There are a few beaches that are hot-spots for knobheads lighting fires and leaving litter and broken glass everywhere, so are well-patrolled in the summer and best avoided: Poppit Sands (Cardigan sheet 153488 ) Newport Sands (Cardigan sheet 052404), Abereiddi Bay (Haverfordwest & St David's sheet 796313), Whitesands Bay (Haverfordwest & St David's sheet 731270), Newgale Sands (H'west & St David's sheet 847220), Freshwater West (Pembroke & Tenby sheet 885995) and basically anywhere where a town or village fronts onto a beach. If you have a look on the map for the other isolated beaches, particularly those well away from roads or at the end of very minor roads, you should be ok.

One totally legal spot I can recommend is the field behind the 'Old Sailor's' pub (formerly the 'Sailor's Safety') at Pwllgwaelod, just east of Fishguard (Cardigan sheet 005399). In the past I've camped there for nothing simply by asking the landlord. There's also an outside toilet and water stand-pipe in the field. It's also one of the best pubs in the area and a beautiful spot. However, I haven't been down there since the change of pub name, so it might be a new landlord and might now be a commercial campsite, for all I know. Worth looking them up and giving them a ring in advance.

The hardest part of the route is definitely the St Dogmael's (Cardigan) to Newport stretch, as it's got some truly massive cliffs and deep coves, so shedloads of steep climbing and descent. Most people therefore start at St Dogmael's and do that section first, to get it out of the way early. You can then camp at Newport (very nice commercial campsite right on the harbour-front) or push on to the above-mentioned Pwllgwaelod.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Last edited:

DaveDaffe

War Hero
No worries. You're welcome to the serial-killers and PIRA arms-caches... Though we haven't had any recently... That we know of... ;)

There are a few beaches that are hot-spots for knobheads lighting fires and leaving litter and broken glass everywhere, so are well-patrolled in the summer and best avoided: Poppit Sands (Cardigan sheet 153488), Newport Sands (Cardigan sheet 052404), Abereiddi Bay (Haverfordwest & St David's sheet 796313), Whitesands Bay (Haverfordwest & St David's sheet 731270), Newgale Sands (H'west & St David's sheet 847220), Freshwater West (Pembroke & Tenby sheet 885995) and basically anywhere where a town or village fronts onto a beach. If you have a look on the map for the other isolated beaches, particularly those well away from roads or at the end of very minor roads, you should be ok.

One totally legal spot I can recommend is the field behind the 'Old Sailor's' pub (formerly the 'Sailor's Safety') at Pwwlgwaelod, just east of Fishguard (Cardigan sheet 005399). In the past I've camped there for nothing simply by asking the landlord. There's also an outside toilet and water stand-pipe in the field. It's also one of the best pubs in the area and a beautiful spot. However, I haven't been down there since the change of pub name, so it might be a new landlord and might now be a commercial campsite, for all I know. Worth looking them up and giving them a ring in advance.

The hardest part of the route is definitely the St Dogmael's (Cardigan) to Newport stretch, as it's got some truly massive cliffs and deep coves, so shedloads of steep climbing and descent. Most people therefore start at St Dogmael's and do that section first, to get it out of the way early. You can then camp at Newport (very nice commercial campsite right on the harbour-front) or push on to the above-mentioned Pwllgwaelod.

Anyway, hope that helps.
You are a star cheers man!!!

Latest Threads