Walking the Pembrokeshire Coastal path

DaveDaffe

War Hero
Any of you lot walked the Pembrokeshire coastal path? I'm looking to do it next year and wild campers each night. Anyone done this? 186 miles start to finish so I'm aiming for maybe 15-20 miles a day.

Any of you lot walked the Pembrokeshire coastal path? I'm looking to do it next year and wild campers each night. Anyone done this? 186 miles start to finish so I'm aiming for maybe 15-20 miles a day.
There isn't anywhere along the Pembrokeshire Coast Path where you can legally wild camp without the land-owner's permission.

DaveDaffe

War Hero
Which is why the national park rangers love doing late evening and night-time rounds on the popular spots... ;)
Well yes there is that but I have wild camped for best part of 25 years and only been asked to move on and a crafty fiver fixed that :)

Because I'm not getting any younger.
None of us are mate, sniffle, sob! Hope it's better than the Pennine way which I did uuuummm a few years ago (270 miles in 10 days), just a muddy trail.

DaveDaffe

War Hero
None of us are mate, sniffle, sob! Hope it's better than the Pennine way which I did uuuummm a few years ago (270 miles in 10 days), just a muddy trail.
I've done sections of it and the views are amazing but this time I want to do the entire route

Also check with Range Control as parts of the path are subject to restrictions from Penally and Castlemartin ranges (phone number will be available on google)

Ahhh yes of course Devex I will make a note of that!
It would be a much more interesting walk if you didn't worry about those silly red flags ;-)

Are you doing it within a set time frame? If you have the luxury of taking your time then great, if not, it could be strenuous.

DaveDaffe

War Hero
Are you doing it within a set time frame? If you have the luxury of taking your time then great, if not, it could be strenuous.
I'm taking a couple of weeks off work so have 14 days to do it which will be plenty and mean that some days if weather isnt too good I can have an easier day

Could make for some interesting photographs LOL
I remember the beaches around Kimmeridge having some impressive ordnance lying around, so you could be right

Also check with Range Control as parts of the path are subject to restrictions from Penally and Castlemartin ranges (phone number will be available on google)
Penally Range Control 01834 845950
Still had the number on my phone from some climbing up there. Incidentally opposite the camp is a very well preserved block ofWW1 training trenches, have a look on google earth or follow the link

This 3 word address refers to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.

Good point. The coast around the south-west corner of Castlemartin Range (from Freshwater West 887992 to Elegug Stacks 926946) and across the front of Manorbier Range (071970 to 080974) are never open to the public, except on rare occasions a couple of times a year, when they do guided public walks (the National Park normally organises and advertises these).

The stretch on Castlemartin Range from the 'Green Bridge' (Elegug Stacks 926946) to St Govan's Chapel (966930) is periodically closed on firing days, but otherwise open to walk (the active range days are advertised locally and probably on line somewhere).

I've never known the stretch from St Govan's (966930) to Broadhaven (977937) to be closed since the 1980s.

Penally Range is active fairly randomly and rarely pre-advertised, though standing orders are for the coastal path to be opened between firing details, so just wait for a bit and the sentry will let you through (better to go when they're not firing though, as the range contains some of the best-preserved WW1 practice trenches in existence - have a google for an aerial photo of the Penally trenches and take one with you if you want to have a mooch around).

Failing that, the diversions are well-signposted and easy to follow.