Walking the Nile

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Starts next Monday and follows a former Para Reg officer on a journey the full length of the River Nile.

Over 4,000 miles and taking best part of 9 months!

I'm looking forward to watching it, with a cold beer and my feet up......... Can't say as I'd fancy it? You?

I would love to do that. Or something similar. Time is a problem though
Back in 1972 I drove from Iserlohn to Sheffield to see my parents and then drove from Sheffield to Athens and back to Iserlohn, through Yugoslavia each way, which was communist at the time. A couple of years later I drove from St. John, New Brunswick to New York and back, just for the hell of it.
Never had time enough for long distance walks.

Dread

LE
Walk the Nile? Sod that for a laugh!

4,000 miles of swarms of mozzies: my idea of living hell. I'll stick to driving from Budapest to Bamako each year. Aircon comfort in a Landcruiser, the old Paris-Dakar pistes and (this year) the extremely remote chance of Ebola.

Hopefully, before I'm too old, the situation with the Tuareg and muslim nutters in Southern Algeria and Libya will calm down to enable me to drive E-W across the Sahara and not just go N-S on the western edge.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Lose how? Misplaced, shuffled off the mortal coil, kidnapped, murdered?

Hopefully kicked into the river near some crocodiles.

'...And we never saw him again, M'Lud...'

Walk the Nile? Sod that for a laugh!

4,000 miles of swarms of mozzies: my idea of living hell. I'll stick to driving from Budapest to Bamako each year. Aircon comfort in a Landcruiser, the old Paris-Dakar pistes and (this year) the extremely remote chance of Ebola.

Hopefully, before I'm too old, the situation with the Tuareg and muslim nutters in Southern Algeria and Libya will calm down to enable me to drive E-W across the Sahara and not just go N-S on the western edge.

Not a chance of the latter; Tuareg are currently well behind in the independent homeland stakes, miles behind the Kurds (current winners) and Palestinians.
Chaos to carry on UFN

Always wondered how people manage to take the time out, family, finances etc to achieve these things........?

I imagine they get a TV production company to finance it for them

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Thanks for the heads up Snailio.
I want too watch this.;)

Always remember, if something is on Ch4 and you really want to watch it but there is something else on at the same time, it will be repeated on C4+1, then More4, then 47, then C4 again, ad infinitum.

They did it with the Guy Martin programmes. Not that I fancy him either or anything.

Always remember, if something is on Ch4 and you really want to watch it but there is something else on at the same time, it will be repeated on C4+1, then More4, then 47, then C4 again, ad infinitum.

They did it with the Guy Martin programmes. Not that I fancy him either or anything.

I work with a guy who is the spitting image of Guy Martin, except he's a redeemed scouser with a skinhead

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I work with a guy who is the spitting image of Guy Martin, except he's a redeemed scouser with a skinhead

You have to share with your friends.

<<Off topic>>

I thought about you the other day when I found my old notebook from Upavon. Were you there for the great theft of the DITrg(A) smoking bench when I deployed the Registry Regt (and Bob the driver) to regain it?

<<Back on topic>>

Clarkson did it in a second hand BMW rep mobile. What's the fuss?

I imagine they get a TV production company to finance it for them

Depends who you know. If you know people in the business it can fall out of a session in the pub, I know Wheeler Dealers did.

If you don't know people and have an idea you first put together a one to two page pitch of your programme idea. Then you can pitch it to a production company, who will pay you a negotiated fee if they manage to sell the idea to a broadcaster.

Latest Threads