Walking the Line 2007

Michael Yon is back in Iraq finally

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/walking-the-line-2007-2.htm

Here are some highlights
Then he told me a story about a courageous and respected Iraqi commander who’d accompanied his patrols all over Iraq for nearly a year. When the dead body of this same Iraqi commander was brought into the morgue, doctors found gruesome signs of torture. His legs were beaten by planks of wood. A drill had been used to bore holes into all of his ribs, his elbows, his knees, and into his head. Doctors estimated the man endured this torture for days. Apparently when the fun was over, or they’d extracted what they needed, or the terrorists were worried about being discovered, or they had another victim waiting for their attentions, they shot him. CSM Mellinger, with just a momentary flash of anger in his eyes, said the Iraqi forces know who did this, and it’s only a matter of time. But time bends when every day in Iraq brings with it a hundred new stories of murder, torture and bodies scattered by bombs.
This does not look like a big or intense war to people at home. It doesn’t look like that because we have so few troops actually in combat. But for those who are truly fighting, this is a brutal death match where every mistake can get them killed, or make worldwide headlines. Yet when the enemy drills out eyes or tortures people with acid, it never resonates.

There is an explanation for why when some of these young soldiers and Marines go home and people are trying to talk with them they might be caught silently staring out a window. Many people back home seem to think they have an idea what is happening here, but most do not. And nobody is here to tell the story of our people in this war.
That’s why I love to go out with infantry. Worst job in the world, not “cool” like Special Operations Forces, but devoid of pretense with lots of straight talk in small words... They say things like, “Don’t stand up on this roof because you’ll get shot,” instead of, “The security situation in Ramadi is tenuous and so visitors are advised to wear helmets in the case of some untoward event or happenstance that might occur in a combat zone.”

Chief_Joseph said:

Here are some highlights
Then he told me a story about a courageous and respected Iraqi commander who’d accompanied his patrols all over Iraq for nearly a year. When the dead body of this same Iraqi commander was brought into the morgue, doctors found gruesome signs of torture. His legs were beaten by planks of wood. A drill had been used to bore holes into all of his ribs, his elbows, his knees, and into his head. Doctors estimated the man endured this torture for days. Apparently when the fun was over, or they’d extracted what they needed, or the terrorists were worried about being discovered, or they had another victim waiting for their attentions, they shot him. CSM Mellinger, with just a momentary flash of anger in his eyes, said the Iraqi forces know who did this, and it’s only a matter of time. But time bends when every day in Iraq brings with it a hundred new stories of murder, torture and bodies scattered by bombs.
Now you know what we had to pick up out the ditches in Northern Ireland after NORAID sponsored freedom fighters had had their fun!

meiktilaman said:
Chief_Joseph said:

Here are some highlights
Now you know what we had to pick up out the ditches in Northern Ireland after NORAID sponsored freedom fighters had had their fun!
Thankyou for that insightful little tidbit. You may not know this, but we Americans don't bring our paycheck to the pub every friday to drop off our donation for "freedom fighters" in Ireland. Most americans have never heard of NORAID. The few who do are Irish-Americans, and those few that do know of it do not support it (at least out here, maybe boston its different on the east coast). In all truth, I was not aware of its existance until I joined ARRSE

No worries Cief I wasnt having a go at you.

I was in camp Lejuene a few years ago doing an exchange with the 2nd Anglico and there was more than a few USMC guys that spoke to me or my mates and declared themselves pro IRA so you can understand how touchy we can be at times about the subject.

I appreciate your post isnt about the IRA but what I was trying to highlight maybe in an insensitive way was we have been dealing with stuff like this since the 60's. while you guys have only really become aware of what makes a terrorist a terrorist since McVieigh blew up the FBI buildings and obviously the tragic events of 9/11

meiktilaman said:

I was in camp Lejuene a few years ago doing an exchange with the 2nd Anglico and there was more than a few USMC guys that spoke to me or my mates and declared themselves pro IRA so you can understand how touchy we can be at times about the subject.

I appreciate your post isnt about the IRA but what I was trying to highlight maybe in an insensitive way was we have been dealing with stuff like this since the 60's. while you guys have only really become aware of what makes a terrorist a terrorist since McVieigh blew up the FBI buildings and obviously the tragic events of 9/11
What was your response? suitably witty or suitably violent?

meiktilaman said:

Well, in this case the victim was Iraqi anyway. Anyway, we can have a discussion about the IRA another day