Walking the dog around a Sacred War Memorial?

bealine

Clanker
In a few weeks, we are driving to the South of France. As some ARRSERS know, I work for an airline and part of my package includes free air tickets to exotic places with palm trees, semi-naked ladies etc so why am I driving?

It's because our poor old dog has an enlarged heart and is getting on in years, bless him! We can't leave him behind because we would worry about him and could never forgive ourselves if anything happened to him while we were away enjoying ourselves! I think in his twilight years, he will probably live longer if he's always with us - he is family, after all.

So, on the way down, I would love to stop at Thiepval to pay my respects to the men of the 36th (Ulster) Division who fell on 16th July 1916, including members of my own family. (No bigotry, I promise - there were Irish Catholics who fought alongside Lord Carson and his Ulster Volunteers too.) I have always wanted to see the Ulster Tower too, but I could leave my dog in the car and just have a quick look in.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/somme/memorial-36-division-ulster-tower.htm

Thiepval would be a good, sensible place to stop for a sandwich and to walk the dog (he can only manage 20-30 minutes) but do you think it would be appropriate? Horses, dogs and even carrier pigeons fell at the hell that was the Somme in the service of the British Army and I was thinking that as long as I don't allow him to cock his leg or squat by a sacred memorial stone, I wouldn't be seen as desecrating the Holy ground, would I?

What is the consensus of opinion please?

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
Just scoop the poop and it'll be cool.

If anyone complains explain that he is a direct descendent of one of the working dogs of the British Army who sadly died in a Mustard Gas attack, then punch them in the throat and walk on whilst paying your respects.

D

Deleted 20555

If it is holy ground and since the flying spaghetti monster/odin/jehovah also made dogs then one can be fairly sure that he won't send a thunderbolt down to smite you for bring one of his creatures with you on your jaunt.

Is this REALLY want you want to know or are you just fishing for someone to tell you what a fine fellow you are?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I have another solution for you.

You have free flights to hot places where there's naked ladies, and old dog and a wife.

Can you see where I'm going yet?

Simply leave the old dog with the wife and hop on the plane to hot naked lady land.

Serious answer - probably better not to take the dog in, but if you can leave him in the car, what are you even worrying about?

Push comes to shove, so long as he doesn't actually piss on anyone's grave, I'm sure it'd be fine.

bealine

Clanker
No - I'm not a fine fellow at all - otherwise I would be making a special pilgrimage to Thiepval without tagging it on as part of a holiday!

If you can stand the strong Antrim accent, this song sums it all up for me really!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
God, that's awful.
At least if the kilties bugger off we can pack in the waste of money which is the Ulster Scots.
Surely we don't need any collusion with republicans.

Dog will be fine just tidy up after him

jim30

LE
Dont you think that in these 'enlightened' times, walking your wife and forcing her to piss in the ground is a bit 'politically incorrect'?

Ps - when will the photos be uploaded to your website?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

In a few weeks, we are driving to the South of France. As some ARRSERS know, I work for an airline and part of my package includes free air tickets to exotic places with palm trees, semi-naked ladies etc so why am I driving?

It's because our poor old dog has an enlarged heart and is getting on in years, bless him! We can't leave him behind because we would worry about him and could never forgive ourselves if anything happened to him while we were away enjoying ourselves! I think in his twilight years, he will probably live longer if he's always with us - he is family, after all.

So, on the way down, I would love to stop at Thiepval to pay my respects to the men of the 36th (Ulster) Division who fell on 16th July 1916, including members of my own family. (No bigotry, I promise - there were Irish Catholics who fought alongside Lord Carson and his Ulster Volunteers too.) I have always wanted to see the Ulster Tower too, but I could leave my dog in the car and just have a quick look in.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/somme/memorial-36-division-ulster-tower.htm

Thiepval would be a good, sensible place to stop for a sandwich and to walk the dog (he can only manage 20-30 minutes) but do you think it would be appropriate? Horses, dogs and even carrier pigeons fell at the hell that was the Somme in the service of the British Army and I was thinking that as long as I don't allow him to cock his leg or squat by a sacred memorial stone, I wouldn't be seen as desecrating the Holy ground, would I?

What is the consensus of opinion please?

I wouldnt see it being aproblem.

On a similar note - me and the long haired sunray went to the RAF memorial at Runnymede during the summer and couldnt go in with the dog. som twat was flying a model helicopter inside though. Who was being disrespectful there?

bealine

Clanker
Indeed! (....and didn't the RAF use dogs to carry despatches? I know the RFC (Royal Flying Corps) did as my grandad used to mention them.

He's a bloomin big dog if he can cock his leg up the side of Thiepval....;-)
Seriously there are plenty of grassy area's around the memorial car parks so should be no problem , given the history of the area if you or he has a pee or crap anywhere in the surrounding countryside you are probably doing it on the spot where someone died .
Having lost my best mate and loyal companion for 13 1/2 years my Collie in July I can only say spend as much time with your dog as you can now so you don't regret not doing so later. It may sound soppy but I still put my hand out at night expecting him to be there and don't sleep well without the sound of his breathing coming from where his bed used to be next to mine .

Indeed! (....and didn't the RAF use dogs to carry despatches? I know the RFC (Royal Flying Corps) did as my grandad used to mention them.

Yes, but they quickly found that pigeons had a far greater success rate at getting the message back to HQ after you'd thrown them over the side of the aircraft.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
No - I'm not a fine fellow at all - otherwise I would be making a special pilgrimage to Thiepval without tagging it on as part of a holiday!

If you can stand the strong Antrim accent, this song sums it all up for me really!

I thought with spending lots of my time in over the water and having a parent from Co Tyrone I could stand anything. Jesus ten seconds in and I'm thinking "What language is he singing in?", thirty seconds in and I'm thinking "Has he got something up his nose?", forty five seconds in and I'm looking for the off switch!

I thought with spending lots of my time in over the water and having a parent from Co Tyrone I could stand anything. Jesus ten seconds in and I'm thinking "What language is he singing in?", thirty seconds in and I'm thinking "Has he got something up his nose?", forty five seconds in and I'm looking for the off switch!

At least the Banjo is in tune, it could have been much, much worse.

Latest Threads