Walking stick Shotguns etc.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, May 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any practical experience of how the law is actually implemented in respect of these. I know what the law says but in practice things are often different and I have no experience in this regard.

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

From umberellas to walking sticks that was quick. TBH, I don't know but due to the fact that they are a concealled weapon, most likely no chance, however like swordcanes/swordsticks there maybe some leeway with regard to antiques.

3. Come in Radio Tokyo. What the fcuk are you two talking about.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

He's got tons of 'em from £150-£1500+, all priced in Sterling, which infers no probs I would guess, though with certain caveats.

6. About ten years ago i saw a selection of walking sticks chambered for 22lr 9mm and 410 carts, i must admit to being very tempted.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I believe that the 97 act made them all section 5 unless chambered in obsolete calibres!

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I have a dim memory from early in the war of such a thing at home - I do distinctly remember it taking a .410 cartridge (I was always a nut for numbers). By the time I was of an age to be more aware it had disappeared. I suppose someone had got hold of it in case the Invasion happened.

9. I'd thought that but we now know of course thanks tot the Mick Shepherd case that the "obsolete calibre" requirement is just a Home Office Fiction nad that the only requirement for S58(2) is that it be an antique.

10. msr

msr LE

I thought you needed a Home Office special license:

"Why do you want one?"
    "Starting a collection"
    Under breath "F**k off you mong head ex copper, stop trying to exceed your authority."

msr

11. I really, really want the nice 1500 quid one, its sooooooooooooo Steed.

12. Mick Shepherd suggest that though they are section 5 you can get them on S2 as part of a collection if you don't shoot them - Authority from Firearms ADmin Office required.

Better Idea. Build a shotgun that's just a very basic model minimum 40 " overall., folding trigger etc but not designed to look like a walking stick particularly.

13. Bill Harriman has just written an article in Shooting Times on this very subject. Ordinarily these are indeed S5 if they are chambered in a readilly available calibre and if I read him correctly that's more to do with some European weapons directive than any of our firearms acts. Here's the "BUT". Each case should be judged on it's own merits. If you are out poaching or clay shooting with one, then you are indeed a naughty boy and will fall foul of the law, but if you have one purely as a curio, and it can be deemed an antique by virtue of it's actual age and you never fire it then you should be ok. He successfuly defended a bloke who had one when Plod took exception to it and nicked him. Bill argued that because of the age it was a genuine antique, and that because the prosecution could present no proof that he owned it with the intent of shooting it the judge threw it out of court.
    Is that a legal precedent?
    I think the main factor here was that the gun in question was very old. You'd not get away with it if it was made in the 40s or 50s I think.