Walking Stick identification needed

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
This picture (of Sir Benjamin Slade) appeared originally in the D Telegraph on Friday and was duly repeated for slow learners as 'news' in the D Mail on Saturday. I am curious as to Sir B's walking stick. It looks remarkably like a new-fangled and complicated gun that was delivered to my ship shortly before we deployed foreign (to Simonstown, Mauritius, Sydney, Auckland, Japan, Singers, Hongkers, Fiji, Pearl .. it was damned tough in the Cold War but someone had to do it ..) in 1967 AFTER I had laboriously trained up all my chaps on the trusty bolt-action almost sailor-proof No.4 Lee Enfield. The Lee Enfield had served the Navy perfectly well for over fifty years and wasn't broke and didn't need fixing .. this was a damned modern thing .. too fiddly by half ..

walking stick 001.jpg

I don't know but it looks like a world-beating piece of kit. Maybe we should adopt it as a replacement for the plastic thingy?

B

bokkatankie

Slanty Leg Replacements are all the rage nowadays. However, one is forced to wonder why his belt is undone and he appears to be wearing boots Cav Twat.

Obviously, yer man is an upper class ratter: if the handsome Jackie by his side doesn't get 'em, the Great Gun will soon disassemble Rattus norvegicus into it's constituent parts.

Slanty Leg Replacements are all the rage nowadays. However, one is forced to wonder why his belt is undone and he appears to be wearing boots Cav Twat.
Maybe he's forgotten that he's got a rope round his trousers and the cartridge belt for shotgun shells. Mind you at least that stick has wooden furniture, so the Bess might be brown.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In my regiment he would have qualified for stick man!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The UK is totally and utterly fcuked!

after a member of the public reported that they felt threatened by the image

I think I may have to change my name to "Wonko the Sane"

As sure as night follows day............plod pay yer man a wee visit.

Baronet's gun stunt backfires when officers swoop on wedding - Telegraph

So the Police:-

- have dealt with him for years over firearms licensing,

- have long since taken away his active firearms,

- know full well he has a large collection of harmless de-acts,

- have actually carried out an audit of his de-acts, including all the ones featured in various press photos,

- know he is in the habit of being photgraphed with one of his de-acts,

... and yet they still respond with armed response and a full call-out over some drivelling idiot's complaint about a photo in the national press?

F*cking pricks.

Really, get a grip. Why not just get the FEO to give the old boy a call and advise him its perhaps not best idea to pose for photos for the gutter press? Why not act with a modicum of common sense and/or integrity for once?

Oh, and BTW stop complaining about the cost of administering firearms licensing: you helped create this mess of hysteria, bureaucracy and extra-judicial restrictions and repressions - now its your problem to deal with...

... and yet they still respond with armed response and a full call-out over some drivelling idiot's complaint about a photo in the national press?

No they didnt it was a pre-arranged appointment not a "swoop" or a "raid" and saying they were armed Officers as if they fire and manouvered thier way up his driveway. This bit is pure bollocks:

"The baronet (the scruffy attention seeking old twat), whose family have lived in Maunsel House since 1772 and are descended from royalty, said: “The guests had been warned before. I said, 'I’m warning you, they may come in helicopters, there may be roadblocks, they may be fully armed, they may start shooting so keep your head down.’  We tried to keep the police out the way. You’ve got to really, it makes people nervous, they might stop drinking."

Stop sniffing the gun oil.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
' it makes people nervous, they might stop drinking' .. the old boy's sense of humour and priorities seem to have survived ..