Walking on the peakdistrict

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by jabcrosshook, Jan 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll appologise in advance for any bad english, I'm on someone elses laptop and the keyboard is odd for me to use.

Right my mums had a mad idea of the family going on walks in the peakdistrict at weekends, nothing to mental as it's a family thing.
    My question(s) is, what things would an individual need to have, regarding clothes, equipment?
    And anything they'd need to know?
    Never done anything like this before so any information would be appreciated.
    Decent pair of walking boots and socks - THATs IT, going walking as nature intended.

You can put some pants on..................................................................Your head (most heat is lost through the head.
  3. The Peak District is relatively low down and with 10 million people within an hour's drive is never going to be too empty! Having said that, it should be treated with respect!

Stick to the paths and roads (I think some roads are closed at the weekend) and you can stay with good quality trainers and boots. Wear a good waterproof and fleece and carry a rucksack containing hat and gloves, thermos and something to eat.

If you are planning to walk on the moors, then wear good fitting boots and socks. Jeans are not recommended as they are of no use once wet. Older members of the party might welcome a walking stick!

It's a good place to practise your map reading, too!

4. many exponents recommend walking poles at all ages as it takes pressure and impact of the knees and also works out the upper body.
  5. Learn to read a map and use a compass.

1) warm waterproof clothing. (Whatever the weather or time of year.)
    2) Some food - chocolate etc. that you keep in case you get caught out. Don't eat it till you're on the bus home.
    3) a water bottle and a flask of tea or soup.
    4) a mobile phone
    5) Proper boots.
    6) a survival bag in case anyone is taken ill on the hill.

It can get very nasty very quickly. Make sure someone knows the area you will be in and when you will be expected back.

Then enjoy it in the knowledge that you've prepared for any unpleasant situation.
  6. Kendal Mintcake is a good food for 'emergency rations'. It's packed full of energy and happens to taste absolutely vile. It therefore guarantees you won't eat it before you need it! :)

Get yourself a half decent pair of walking boots. You don't have to spend serious money. I got my first pair for under £50 and they were fine. Take waterproofs and spare clothes, enough water, and most importantly a nice lunch! Maybe a small gas burner for a cheeky brew?

Have a good trip!
  7. Oooooh Kinder plateau is one to test your navigation skills. Essentially it is miles of featureless moorland. So best advice for an easy walk would be to stick to the edges.

There is good car parking in Edale (about £6 for the whole day). And depending on the fitness/bravery of the group you can either head up Grindsbrook - across to Crowden - to the Woolpacks - Noe Stool - then down Jacobs Ladder back to Edale on the Pennine Way. There is some slight scrambling on the climb up, but nothing too scary. Or for a more gentle ascent and descent head over the other side of Edale to Mam Tor for a walk along that.

The bottom line is you won't be going above 600-odd feet so it's not ball-busting, but if you want to go across the plateau you need to be spot on in navigation if you leave the path. And if you leave the path - be prepped for bog trotting!

Kit list: boots, trousers, fleece or soft shell, waterproof jacket, hat, gloves, compass & map, flask mit brew, some lunch, and a torch.

Walking poles are only useful on hard ground not in Kinder Scout bogs!! :-D
    With the weather this weekend, it should be great for bog trotting, since the snow/ice layer will make it a hell of a lot easier!
  8. Did he do the Peak District? 8O
  9. If your dragging the oldies around then do the walk around Langsett res. They have put some new woodland paths in all on the flat, then when you get to the stone bridge its a slight climb up to the moor. Then you can follow the path around the res and over the dam or go across the moor to Derwent (boggy in places/steep climb back up)
    Alternate for a wee climb is Man tor (crowded, especially at weekends).
    Kinder is good for a bit of map and compass work.
    Get a guide book and the Explorer map OL1- The Peak District/dark peaks
  10. W.A.Poucher wrote an excellent guide book to walks called "The Peak and Pennines" It is well illustrated with photographs as opposed to Wainrights drawings. Although written quite a long time ago, even if out of print, would be available at abebooks.co.uk or even the dreaded waltbay.
  11. As a family we've often used the 'Pathfinder' Guidebooks by Jarrold Publishing, they're based around 1:25000 OS maps and have a good variety of circular walks ranging from easy to not so easy and also contain details about refreshment stops and parking etc. (You should of course be carrying the relevant map for the area as well in case its needed).

Ex_stab has given a good summary of the type of kit to be taking and his comment about 'whatever weather or time of year' is probably one of the most important things to remember.

Re comments about Kinder, did the pennine the other year and tbh once you get up to the plateau its a bit like a motorway now they've put flag stones on the national trail route...
  12. Thanks alot.
  13. No use whatsoever in some of the deepest gorges and valleys!

14. Theres a nice walk up to Higher shelf stones from the top of the snake pass where the pennine way crosses it. Follow the paved (in part) PW north and after about a mile or so branch off to the left to the Trig point and rocks obvious on the skyline. Great views and also the wreck of a Superfortress on the side of the hill with memorial.