Walking Hadrians wall advice required.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by wheel, Apr 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am hoping to walk Hadrians wall later this year probably September. Has anyone done the route ?. I would prefer to camp along the route so reccomendations for camp sites would be welcome or is it as well to use B&Bs. Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

2. Always fancied doing that. Thought I'd do Carlisle along to the east coast then walk north along the coast line to Berwick. Might see you there then.
    Enjoy :wink:

3. It's an absolute cracker. Early September is a good time to go, fewer children and lardy arrsed septics.

Some good advice here :wink:

4. Dolly Thanks very much missed that topic first time round.

5. walk along the A69 and hitch hike much less chance of being attacked by some hairy arrsed sweaty sock

seriously, great walk [ avoid school holidays].

6. Doing it (again) from next Thursday. Only going for a couple of days this time as I am taking my son. Dumping the car in Corbridge then bus to the wall. Taking my time showing the sights to HH junior and will camp out just next to Vindolanda.

Following day walking to Birdswold then bus to Carlisle for night.

Back to Corbridge following day (via foot and bus) taking in a couple of other non roman sights.

Have gear, 24 hour rat packs and dry kit. Sight and walk is well marked.
    Watch out for the section of wall just past housesteads fort. Its where Kevin Costner did his bit after landing at Dover and suddenly he is at the wall. People always get photographed there in high season.

Its a cracking walk

Edited to add: This is my first time back since mid 90's so will be walking it a lot slower than last time :D

7. Just watch out for those horrible scots. They dont half lower the tone.

8. If you need a base in the Newcastle area don't forget that 39 Regt RA are in Albemarle Barracks.

Its really close to Heddon on the Wall and is handy for the 'toon too.

Suggest you give the adjt a ring. When I was p there they were usually quite willing to loan out their transit accommodation.......to the right causes of course!

Good Luck!

9. Used to be a good camp site at twice brewed, I think its still there just off the military road on a farm.

10. this might help

Attached Files: