Walking 32 miles

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by fnel88, May 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi lads,
    Well exactly what it says on the title. I just wanted to know what an average time to do this would be. Partly im doing this because its what I enjoy doing most weekends and partly because it should help when I get to catterick. The walk is from matlock bath train station down to cromford canal and then following the high peak trail all the way down to the tissington trail. From their we will follow the tissington trail down to ashbourne. Just wanted to know of any advice in terms of training and kit I should be taking. Ive got an idea but just want to make sure im along the right lines.
  2. The time to do it will depend on you, both your fitness and your attitude. When I was 15-16, I did the Crosses Walk (65 miles) in 22 hours and 20 minutes but took slightly longer to do the Lyke Wake (39 miles). I could have done a second lap of the Crosses but was totally shagged at the end of the Lyke Wake, despite the Crosses being the more strenuous of the two. I put the difference down to being bored on the Lyke Wake.

I doubt that you'll do much better than 4 mph, but allow for just 2 1/2 mph if you're meeting somebody at the end, otherwise they'll worry.

Thinking on, the Lyke Wake took just over 20 hours, just getting dark after a midnight start.
  3. Thanks for the advice. We decided that when we get to the end we will be camping at ashbourne beats paying £60 for a b and b when we can pay £7 for a pitch. If we stick at 3mph then im thinking about 10 hours for the lot and just making sure that I have plenty of food and water along the way.
  4. Make sure you're wearing sensible boots and proper walking socks. If you get blisters on a walk of that distance, your speed will drop right down and you could end up doing some proper damage!

(talking from painful experience!)
  5. Put tents down at Ashbourne before you start. That way you'll know for sure that you have a pitch when you arrive. Also, when you find that your walk takes 16 hours, you won't be putting your tent up in the dark, much to the annoyance of your neighbours.
  6. I got a decent pair of boots about 8 weeks ago ive been using and i've been using some decent walking sox but did see some soxs called 1000 mile soxs but don't know if they are much cop.
  7. it shouldnt take 16 hours because ive been putting in some decent walks and keep fit running and general ploymetrics. But im sure my feet will feel like crap at the end but it should be a good walk.
  8. The further you go, the more tired your muscles will get and your speed will definitely suffer. It happens to the fittest people.
  9. I'll make sure I take that into consideration as it will definately effect the time as puttees and yourself have just highlighted.
  10. If your boots fit and you've got decent socks, your feet should be OK - you wear ordinary shoes and socks for more than 10 hours most days, don't you? What you don't do most days is walk up and down stairs for hours at a time.

Search the site for 1000 milers, you'll find plenty of comments about them. Mostly adverse.
  11. I think the 2.5 mph figure that puttees stated is about right - after all, it won't all be even terrain. Have fun though, the hill walking in the UK is the best I've encountered anywhere in europe! More people should do it. Make sure you're using a map and compass & not GPS - it'll stand you in good stead when you hit the Infantry Training Centre!
  12. ...if you don't get lost... :)

(I didn't know that there was an ITC at Ashbourne)
  13. You daft sod, he said he was going to Catterick eventually!

Then again, I've never been to Ashbourne.. hmm..
  14. Naismith's rule is the way to work out how long you should take. This assumes that you can walk at 3 mph over flat ground, and makes allowances for change in height, which means you have to have a good look at your route and work out the contours. You should really plan in appropriate rest stops for food, and a 5 minute break every hour or so.

edited to add: 1000 mile socks have a mixed review. I have had a pair for years, and they are great in trainers. For proper walking, use zinc oxide tape to cover areas of your feet that are prone to blisters, and wear a pair of liner socks under a decent pair of walking socks..
  15. I always use three miles an hour is a good rule of thumb, two miles an hour in rock, scree and turf moor, thats allowing for breaks and blowing out of your arse on the steep bits.

I used to live in the High Peak and you have to plan for bad weather. I've seen snow storms come out of nowhere in June, twice, the worst was in 1975.

My minimum, Good boots, good socks, change of socks, breathable wet weather gear, a good wooly hat, gloves, water, more water, an emergency bivvybag, sweet stuff (I take dextrose tabs or kendal mint cake) in case you start to flag or get too cold. This all needs to be worn or carried in a good daysack, Tesco carrier bags don't work (you laugh, but I've seen it on the Crib Goch in winter). Even on marked trails take the OS maps, 1:50000 or 1:25000 in a waterproof map case and a silva compass (priceless on moors, in snow, heavy rain, fog and cloud). Tell someone what you plan to walk and and tell them when you get there, they can raise the alarm if you get lost, Youth Hostels and post offices are usually helpful in this regard. Carry a mobile phone, a whistle and a small torch.