Walkie-talkies, 2 Way Radios...advice please?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by SausageDog, Feb 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to buy some decent 2 way radios for use over ranges of up to a few miles.

Prepared to get the Ofcom License if it's worth it, but I understand that limits you to one per programmed frequency as dictated by the license.

Any experience with any brands other than Motorola which I have used extensively?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Let's say price isn't an issue, but they're not going to be used that much, so say £150 per radio tops.

I'll use them for hunting purposes primarily, as in communicating with others over vast area of farm land.

3. damn you Sinner! I was looking at some new Kenwoods lol! What in particular grabs your shit about them?

What are the Icoms like for range and clarity mate?

4. We had Kenwood radios in the prisons I thought them good.

5. Ok, so that throws a huge Jarrod-shaped spanner in the works. Sinner disses the Kenwoods, Jarrod think's they're the shizzle-bizzle....

6. It is supposed to be a punishment, not a holiday camp!

I'd imagine most prisoners have far greater worries than Jarrod bumming them.. Like Bubba from E-Wing....

• Like Like x 1
  7. I think the Police used to use Kenwood too. We did have a decent mast though so that would of course make a difference. Battery life was good and they were simple to use.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Twas Motorola back in my day, but things move on. Most coppers I see these days seem to use bloody mobile phones, with their tribal band festooned arms, the knobbers.

So, no clear winner yet?