Walkie-talkies, 2 Way Radios...advice please?

I'm looking to buy some decent 2 way radios for use over ranges of up to a few miles.

Prepared to get the Ofcom License if it's worth it, but I understand that limits you to one per programmed frequency as dictated by the license.

Any experience with any brands other than Motorola which I have used extensively?

Let's say price isn't an issue, but they're not going to be used that much, so say £150 per radio tops.

I'll use them for hunting purposes primarily, as in communicating with others over vast area of farm land.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Ok, so that throws a huge Jarrod-shaped spanner in the works. Sinner disses the Kenwoods, Jarrod think's they're the shizzle-bizzle....
I think the Police used to use Kenwood too. We did have a decent mast though so that would of course make a difference. Battery life was good and they were simple to use.

I think the Police used to use Kenwood too. We did have a decent mast though so that would of course make a difference. Battery life was good and they were simple to use.
Twas Motorola back in my day, but things move on. Most coppers I see these days seem to use bloody mobile phones, with their tribal band festooned arms, the knobbers.

So, no clear winner yet?

For a start get the name right: They are called transceivers not walkie talkies or CB or radios or whatever

The usual operational parameters are based on line of sight. This of course is bullshite. There are any number of factors that will block, bend or otherwise **** up your signal. It's basically black magic. If you really want to guarantee a non-dropout signal you'll need a powerful transmitter and a diversity receiver.

I've been using 2 metre Alinco kit for the past 20 years for flying purposes ( not air band) and Motorola GP stuff for land based comms. As long as you can find a non busy frequency then you should be fine. Make sure that the handset has the capability for a head set/earpiece and you won't be scaring the wildlife. The benefit of the 2m Alinco stuff is that the channels are not pre-set which means that you can choose what frequency you want. You can also TX and RX on different frequencies. This freedom of choice over the airwaves is illegal of course - they are also known as scanners.

In the old days the ham blokes would attempt to triangulate the 2m signals and drop us in it with the GPO. We would cargo strap their doors shut and torch their ******* busy-body vans with the anoraked cnuts inside - screaming over the ether for help. Who's ******* laughing now eh? You can't trap us - we're free floating spirits - the clouds are our home and the wind our carriage.

For a start get the name right: They are called transceivers not walkie talkies or CB or radios or whatever

The usual operational parameters are based on line of sight. This of course is bullshite. There are any number of factors that will block, bend or otherwise **** up your signal. It's basically black magic. If you really want to guarantee a non-dropout signal you'll need a powerful transmitter and a diversity receiver.

I've been using 2 metre Alinco kit for the past 20 years for flying purposes ( not air band) and Motorola GP stuff for land based comms. As long as you can find a non busy frequency then you should be fine. Make sure that the handset has the capability for a head set/earpiece and you won't be scaring the wildlife. The benefit of the 2m Alinco stuff is that the channels are not pre-set which means that you can choose what frequency you want. You can also TX and RX on different frequencies. This freedom of choice over the airwaves is illegal of course - they are also known as scanners.

In the old days the ham blokes would attempt to triangulate the 2m signals and drop us in it with the GPO. We would cargo strap their doors shut and torch their ******* busy-body vans with the anoraked cnuts inside - screaming over the ether for help. Who's ******* laughing now eh? You can't trap us - we're free floating spirits - the clouds are our home and the wind our carriage.

You're going to have a monstrous ******* hangover in the morning mate!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
spaz The NAAFI Bar 3