Walk every day or every other day ?

Have you previously timed yourself walking over rough ground? I mean, when covering more than a few miles or other than as a military activity?

Maintaining an average of 4mph is good going, particularly if you're walking alone with nobody to compete against. That's about the same speed that a healthy person would consider a brisk walk on level footpaths.

Rather than increasing speed, increase distance. Also, if there's a health aspect, do two short laps rather than one long one. That way, if you start to falter, you've only got half the distance to go to get back to safety.
I push myself hard as I guess I believe the no pain no gain mantra , I`m only competing with the Jack Russell who is faster and has more stamina than me.

Just curious, but what are you wearing on your feet? My max pulse seems much lower walking in lightweight shoes, compared to when I wear issue boots.
Lowa Desert boots , brilliant in this warm weather for letting your feet breath and protecting your feet/ankles against rocky terrain.

Corona Lock Down has given me time to try and get back in shape , in my fifties , only around 10lb over weight , was seriously ill last year , maybe over it now (Big C) , I `m currently walking every other day and getting in 30-35 mile per week but I seem to have plateaued , knackered at 3 hours and dont seem to be improving on speed , average around 4mph over rough terrain with a light pack.
How`s best to improve ? I`d like to stick to every other day due to time constraints and I want to boost my immune system, not compromise it .
Suggestions please.
Why do you need to improve? What you are doing is good for you, mentally and physically, you’ve been very ill and aren’t getting any younger. Yes, it is frustrating, but that’s only because your younger self said push, improve, that’s the way your mind thinks. Unfortunately your body is saying “ram it big boy”. Give yourself a break, you now need to cruise through life and enjoy the walk, not punish yourself because you can’t keep up with Mo Farah.

Just because you sit on your fat arse all day and can't be bothered to get out for a run.....
Another one jealous of my retirement plan.

Lowa Desert boots , brilliant in this warm weather for letting your feet breath and protecting your feet/ankles against rocky terrain.
Sounds like a good idea with more breathability. I've been using the Haix high liability boots, and have been sweating like buggery in them recently. They suit my feet quite well though, so I've considered trying to get hold of the desert version of the Haix.

Sounds like a good idea with more breathability. I've been using the Haix high liability boots, and have been sweating like buggery in them recently. They suit my feet quite well though, so I've considered trying to get hold of the desert version of the Haix.
I have Meindl desert boots.
Excellent to be fair. Comfortable and light as well.

I avoid Gortex lined boots unless its pissing down , they draw your feet.

I aim for a couple of miles each day and have a regular route that keeps me away from people for the most part.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

B42T

LE
Walk TWICE a day. Make them brisk if possible and aim for a minimum of 20 minutes each. That's the advice I got from the Nurse Practicioner.

To avoid getting out of breath adopt the Huff 2 3 4 method. Where you breath out hard [huff] followed by a slow deep breathe in for the 2 3 4, then huff again. Get into a rythym using your paces, breathe in slow and deep for the 2 3 4 and then a big huff out as if you are blowing water out of a snorkel. The idea is that you need both the air you breathe in, but also need to get rid of that CO2 just as importantly. It soon becomes an easy thing to do and you can walk briskly without getting out of breath.

Get the second walk in before going to bed and don't eat afterwards, but a drink would be ok.
Try it and you'll see for yourself.
Start off on about 8 cans of wifebeater then gradually add on some spirits to get your stamina back up to when you were 25ish :D

RigPig

War Hero
Have a look at some of the exercise videos on line. The daughter and I do the Joe Wicks school PE daily. You can work at your own pace and stop if required. it works the body, not just the legs. I’ve also told my mum about one that is for old people who need to stay sat whilst exercising.

RP

I want to see Dingerr doing something like the Top Gear challenge where they took on a couple of squaddies and lost.
Id like to see them do a challenge in cars with hand controls, having to get a wheelchair in and out the car, then get somewhere in it.

Have a look at some of the exercise videos on line. The daughter and I do the Joe Wicks school PE daily. You can work at your own pace and stop if required. it works the body, not just the legs. I’ve also told my mum about one that is for old people who need to stay sat whilst exercising.

RP
They're just " exercise videos ".

Speed is fine, personally, much faster and you'll massively increase the possibility of injury on uneven ground.

I'd look at some other functional activities that can help strengthen stuff like mini sprints. Don't be put off by the word 'sprint' because I mean short bursts of exercise faster than normal.

During your walk, once you're warmed up drop the pack, and do a little 'sprint' on safe ground for 7 seconds, walk back, do a few more then carry on with the walk. For only 7 seconds, you shouldn't raise your heart rate too much, but you'd be surprised how this can help things.

Next walk, either do a couple more or up the 'sprint' pace just a tiny bit. Or play it even safer, just do it once a week if you're worried about injury.

Think long game, it's small gradual stuff but the difference over a few months is bonkers. It'll help with functional strength for tendons, ligaments and explosive movements - climbing and jumping a stile for example.

Speed is fine, personally, much faster and you'll massively increase the possibility of injury on uneven ground.

I'd look at some other functional activities that can help strengthen stuff like mini sprints. Don't be put off by the word 'sprint' because I mean short bursts of exercise faster than normal.

During your walk, once you're warmed up drop the pack, and do a little 'sprint' on safe ground for 7 seconds, walk back, do a few more then carry on with the walk. For only 7 seconds, you shouldn't raise your heart rate too much, but you'd be surprised how this can help things.

Next walk, either do a couple more or up the 'sprint' pace just a tiny bit. Or play it even safer, just do it once a week if you're worried about injury.

Think long game, it's small gradual stuff but the difference over a few months is bonkers. It'll help with functional strength for tendons, ligaments and explosive movements - climbing and jumping a stile for example.
I can do that , currently I deliberately pick hills rather than the easy route , it knackers me but I hope it does me good , clearing/vaulting a five bar gate would something I havent done for a few years .

Last edited:

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Corona Lock Down has given me time to try and get back in shape , in my fifties , only around 10lb over weight , was seriously ill last year , maybe over it now (Big C) , I `m currently walking every other day and getting in 30-35 mile per week but I seem to have plateaued , knackered at 3 hours and dont seem to be improving on speed , average around 4mph over rough terrain with a light pack.
How`s best to improve ? I`d like to stick to every other day due to time constraints and I want to boost my immune system, not compromise it .
Suggestions please.
15 minute mile is a good pace and unless you want to start doubling to achieve 10 minute mile pace; why bother? Enjoy the walk for its scenery, peace and wildlife, forget 'no pain no gain', complete nonsense at your advanced years!

I've both sets of boots. Concur with Lowas breathability, but they are heavy. Haix are bloody heavy, but a great winter boot. They will need new soles soon, as the tread I found to wear quite quickly.

Latest Threads