Walk every day or every other day ?

Corona Lock Down has given me time to try and get back in shape , in my fifties , only around 10lb over weight , was seriously ill last year , maybe over it now (Big C) , I `m currently walking every other day and getting in 30-35 mile per week but I seem to have plateaued , knackered at 3 hours and dont seem to be improving on speed , average around 4mph over rough terrain with a light pack.
How`s best to improve ? I`d like to stick to every other day due to time constraints and I want to boost my immune system, not compromise it .
Suggestions please.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Improvement in fitness takes longer as you get older

Take what you've got, chap.

For now.

After all, whether we like it or not, we are older: we're not 24, on the bloot for a weekend and then run off the hangover (helped by a couple of 'broak!' stops) and all good until the next time.

Muscles, tendons, cartlilage, lung and heart capacity, etc - it's all a little bit different and . . . used.

As the Leader of the Opposition remarked when I was having a sulk, 'Yeah, well-have a gaze down the promenade: the blokes 10 years or so younger are (mostly) weebles and get breathless stirring a cup of tea. Those who are your age are in flid carts.'

She's right, y'know.

Take up cycling, you're in the borders where some roads are nice quiet and fast cars galore….
lung training to get your cyclic rate improving...

Seadog

ADC
I’m knocking on the door of 60 and walking 90 minutes 6 days a week, and laying off the booze with just one bottle of ( quality ) wine on a Friday.....hic! I’ve lost 6 kilos since 1 April.

On my weekly shop, the checkout chicks in Waitrose dig me, I can tell.

itchy300

Old-Salt
Look at the the things that's happening round your training not just the sessions themselves.

Hydration/nutrition, sounds obvious but when I've got something coming up a food diary is mega, you can see all the s**t you're eating and more importantly the good stuff you're missing.

On the days in between training get in PT kit and do a warm up and 20 minutes stretching

Look at HIIT training, the sessions are short and give a good cardio workout while targeting specific muscle groups if required. It's also free, has loads of variation and can be done in the garden.

Rest days are as important as training days.

I would be very hesitant to do what the squaddie in all of us says and start piling weight into the Bergen. No one trains like that anymore, you cant get fit if you're injured.

Id stick with the weight/distance you're doing and the time will come down. Where I'd make my gains if I were you is gradually start adding a HIIT session in once a week then a second once you're comfortable then a third etc... tidy the diet up and sounds weird but try Pilates or yoga

Troy

LE
Walk TWICE a day. Make them brisk if possible and aim for a minimum of 20 minutes each. That's the advice I got from the Nurse Practicioner.

To avoid getting out of breath adopt the Huff 2 3 4 method. Where you breath out hard [huff] followed by a slow deep breathe in for the 2 3 4, then huff again. Get into a rythym using your paces, breathe in slow and deep for the 2 3 4 and then a big huff out as if you are blowing water out of a snorkel. The idea is that you need both the air you breathe in, but also need to get rid of that CO2 just as importantly. It soon becomes an easy thing to do and you can walk briskly without getting out of breath.

Get the second walk in before going to bed and don't eat afterwards, but a drink would be ok.
Try it and you'll see for yourself.

average around 4mph over rough terrain with a light pack.
Have you previously timed yourself walking over rough ground? I mean, when covering more than a few miles or other than as a military activity?

Maintaining an average of 4mph is good going, particularly if you're walking alone with nobody to compete against. That's about the same speed that a healthy person would consider a brisk walk on level footpaths.

Rather than increasing speed, increase distance. Also, if there's a health aspect, do two short laps rather than one long one. That way, if you start to falter, you've only got half the distance to go to get back to safety.

Re your thread title - get stuffed.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Walk every day that you feel you can; if that's every day, all to the good. If not, do what you can as 'every little helps'. In any case, stay well and bon chance.

Get some elasticated waistband trousers and forget about it.
Try braces, belts just crease you up.
As for walking, well forget that i live in a small town and i couldn't walk to the end of the street and back due to shot knees. Besides at my age, were's the fun in that?

Corona Lock Down has given me time to try and get back in shape , in my fifties , only around 10lb over weight , was seriously ill last year , maybe over it now (Big C) , I `m currently walking every other day and getting in 30-35 mile per week but I seem to have plateaued , knackered at 3 hours and dont seem to be improving on speed , average around 4mph over rough terrain with a light pack.
How`s best to improve ? I`d like to stick to every other day due to time constraints and I want to boost my immune system, not compromise it .
Suggestions please.

An average of 4 mph over rough terrain is pretty good. I've been doing a bit of walking myself lately (not as much as you though) and have found that I start to feel it after 15-20 km. I think this is due to the fact that most of my training has been on shorter routes (6-13km), and that it's not that often I walk further.

I'm considering trying to fit a longer route (20km +) in weekly, but realistically it's probably going to be less often.

Just curious, but what are you wearing on your feet? My max pulse seems much lower walking in lightweight shoes, compared to when I wear issue boots.

Blogg

LE
What bugs me is how quickly any gains drop off as you get older

Injury to lower leg has meant I have been hobbling around for nearly 2 months, only just get back to any distance.

Up at 05.00 this morning and out with dogs, did around 9 miles through woods and heathlands (they did about 30 of course).

Nice day, bright sun, around 12C and no other humans in sight.

And right now I could happily go back to bed

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Flippant answer. Eat normally, do no exercise five days per week, then skip two days. The hard part is skipping for two days.

Sensible answer. I was put out to grass retired at 59, about 16 stone, looking at 40" waist trousers. Shortly thereafter Zero Alpha had a diabetes wake-up call (because of a blood test while she was being prescribed pills which in the USA have been questioned for use with those who have had pancreas issues. She was never diagnosed as diabetic).

We both walk to the shop daily (stand fast during lockdown). I suggested we take a circuitous route across a field, doubling the distance. We got Fitbits (other devices are available). We found the circuitous route gave us half our daily recommended 10,000 steps. Fitbit also encourages us to be active every hour, nine hours a day by walking 250 steps.

In the afternoon we take another walk (route dependent on how steps are progressing).

At 60 in March, Zero Alpha decided she would walk the Moonwalk marathon for breast cancer (last weekend as it happens) to mark outliving her mother. (Now cancelled.) I'm exempt because I'm asthmatic and she won't let me walk the dirty, smelly streets of London for nine hours. Diet change: she has almost entirely eliminated carbs (two small new potatoes instead of the recommended ⅓ plate; riced cauliflower instead of rice: shredded courgette or squash instead of pasta), I have been rather less ruthless. We still have joint, potatoes and seven veg on Sunday.

When lockdown was called, 0A and Alien Minor 2 were both easily banging out 20 miles. They've just restarted since the lockdown was eased.

Zero Alpha has never been an exercise freak, but we've both lost an enormous amount of weight (I'm sure I could easily wear 34" waist trousers; I was 32" when I left the army over 30 years ago).

Oh and we drink essentially zero alcohol.

Last edited:
Lose weight?
eat the sAbe low carb, high protein diet as the wife now she’s diabetic.
weight just drops off.

Suggestions please.
If you are going to yomp to exhaustion, I would recommend that you stick to no more than 2 or 3 times a week and get yourself a recreational oxygen tank (unless you can talk your Doc into signing you up for much cheaper per liter medical oxygen tanks) will as well as a SpO2 monitor. Hypoxia, whether chronic or acute, is definitely bad in every way possible, especially when it comes to "the Big C." It can cause growth of new blood vessels to tumors, tumor growth, increases chances of metastasis, and makes it harder to kill.

As far as boosting your immune system the usual recommendations are exercise, eat your fruits and veggies, get enough sleep, and keep a positive outlook. Vitamins A, B6, B9 (Folate) C, D3 and E are the vitamins to be making sure you get enough of, and Iron, Selenium, and Zinc would be your go to minerals. Of course, getting those vitamins and minerals from food is better than supplement pills, especially where vitamins A and E are concerned as too much of either of them can cause issues with certain types of cancers.

Latest Threads