Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wales to Nationalise Railways

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

It worked when I was a kid.

My NHS trust has been in special measures for 8 years I think now because of rubbish management

But that's the wonderful NHS when run by Labour in Wales

I wonder if they will go back to slam door rolling stock and carriages full of twigs

4(T)

LE
Are they even allowed to do this without permission from Westminster? Presumably liability for any financial disaster ultimately rests with the English taxpayer?

SNP’s next bright idea?

Are they even allowed to do this without permission from Westminster? Presumably liability for any financial disaster ultimately rests with the English taxpayer?
Dunno.

I've said elsewhere though that Boris should invoke emergency powers and suspend devolvement for covid. I'd then not give it back.

Another of Blair's poisoned legacy.

neil82

Old-Salt
My NHS trust has been in special measures for 8 years I think now because of rubbish management

But that's the wonderful NHS when run by Labour in Wales

I wonder if they will go back to slam door rolling stock and carriages full of twigs
I live in the area that they cover, I go south whenever I need anything from a hospital (and bronglais is nearer)

Hohenidoom

Old-Salt
Not that it'll make a great deal of difference in the short or even medium term - even the continually useless governments of the UK can manage to not **** up relatively easy lines like Wales + boarders.

The hard bit comes when they're left to try and deal with the massive long term issues surrounding capacity, decent stock, the state of the lines and the brewing problem of fare inflation.

There's also the north south divide for rail in Wales, up in the north of Wales it's quicker to get to London, Glasgow or Edinburgh by train than to get to Cardiff

There's also the north south divide for rail in Wales, up in the north of Wales it's quicker to get to London, Glasgow or Edinburgh by train than to get to Cardiff

It must be the same for road transport.

There's a heavily subsidised air link from Valley to Cardiff.

Cardiff airport was a white elephant on the old days. Paid for by the English taxpayer, I would imagine.

And no one in Wales is actually complaining that it's easier to get out of Wales than it is to travel to their big city.

And no one in Wales is actually complaining that it's easier to get out of Wales than it is to travel to their big city.

Strangely it's not something I've heard complaints about

I hear plenty about how useless the devolved government is though

Not that I have any time for wee krankie and her lot, but......
Genuine question, why would that be such a bad idea.?
2 different types of policing. I believe BTP operates under PACE84 whereas Police Scotland doesn't. I stand to be corrected.

cymraeg

War Hero
Interesting and understandable. Wonder if they give the train set back in the end or is this a brave new world. Wonder what the franchise termination costs will be to the tax payer if not or will they just enact a law and give them both fingers

Not that I have any time for wee krankie and her lot, but......
Genuine question, why would that be such a bad idea.?
She likes to have as few uniformed services as possible. Scotland used to have a number of constabularies. By only having one "top job" to which they might aspire all the police officers will tow her line. It also means that the (say) six Chief Constables can't produce a defence against what she might have planned.

She did the same with the fire service, eight become one. Whilst it accept some reduction produces savings, that level of reduction lessons any potential political intervention against her. Only one FF can become Chief, best do as the boss says. All this from a party that claims it likes devolved responsibility. Somebody push the hypocrisy detector button.

As for BTP - slightly different. If a train en route from Glasgow to London crashes, where has the negligence occurred? Was the driver safe to operate when the loco left Glasgow, was there a fault on the line in the boarders, or was the train incorrectly serviced before it left London the previous day? This is the very reason why BTP exists.

In short its another power grab by the Holyrood Greater Council

Interesting and understandable. Wonder if they give the train set back in the end or is this a brave new world. Wonder what the franchise termination costs will be to the tax payer if not or will they just enact a law and give them both fingers
I doubt the franchise agreements allowed for the forced collapse for railways by government. They would have been bid, priced and negotiated on predicted passenger volumes. Wouldn’t surprise me if the franchisees aren’t going back to governments to initiate break clauses.