Wales to launch pilot Universal Basic income

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Benefits are not a devolved matter? Or so I thought...

Are they expecting the English taxpayer to foot the bill for the bennys around here being a bit damp?

Drug dealers, slum landlords and shops selling 50" flat screen TVs will love it though... So it'll be an election winner.

I've never understood what positive effect giving money to people with reasonable- to high-incomes is (if Universal Basic Income truly is regardless of income). And I certainly don't see any long-term benefit in diverting efforts and resources away from supporting people who are not working to find work.

Work gives people so many so much more than just cash in their pocket; it provides skills on which to build better, more interesting careers; it provides social bonds; it provides a sense of purpose; self-esteem; and, importantly, it occupies the time and effort of people (especially some people with troubles and / or weren't brought up well) who would otherwise be causing trouble / committing crime.

Each to their own, I'd rather have a lie in every morning and sit around in the garden reading books or bimbling around doing my own thing.

Work is over rated. Who wants to get stressed out and sit in traffic every morning or spend time with people you don't particularly like or care about? There are very few jobs that are actually enjoyable, I'd much rather do whatever I want whenever I want.

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
People looking to re-train vocationally or study for a degree etc is one group it might make a really positive difference to. So many people I've known have been put off study because of the worry of retraining as a plumber or getting a decent degree because there's no support for the former, and they worry about debt for the latter.

People looking to re-train vocationally or study for a degree etc is one group it might make a really positive difference to. So many people I've known have been put off study because of the worry of retraining as a plumber or getting a decent degree because there's no support for the former, and they worry about debt for the latter.
Potentially.

doesn’t it just run the risk of creating inflation though? You’re £100 now is worth £100. We give everybody an extra £25 and you’re £100 becomes worth £75.

Wasn`t this tried out in one of the Scandinavian countries (Norway ?). If I recall correctly it failed miserably, as a large proportion of the population were inherantly lazy, and quite prepared to take the cash to cover basics, whilst spending the day in front of the box, instead of trying to increase their income by working.
I have no idea if this happened. I will do little research. In the meantime, if the Government wants too give me free money so that I do not have too work again......ever! Just sign me up, I'm all for it.

SK

HCL

LE
£560 per month, I read, as universal basic income.
That wouldn't last long in UK.

It's more than £409* as an over 25 singly on UC but less than the £594 for a couple. Be interesting if they pay a different rate for couples or treat it as for each individual. I think they'll have a couple's rate as it'll save hundreds of millions.

*There's a 0.5% rise being applied to April assessment periods payments this month.

Potentially.

doesn’t it just run the risk of creating inflation though? You’re £100 now is worth £100. We give everybody an extra £25 and you’re £100 becomes worth £75.

Do you mean if it is paid for by printing money?

BTW would it not be £80 rather than £75?

No. With true UBI, which this isn't, the concept is zero-to-nil administrative overhead. That means the entire operating cost - around £10Bn/year - of the DWP goes away. But it's fine, its former staff will get UBI too.

Absolutely. And benefits are largely administered in Washington, Tyne and Wear too.

Do you mean if it is paid for by printing money?

BTW would it not be £80 rather than £75?
Giving people more money by either method drives inflation.

if people are given ‘free’ money’ then wages need to rise . After all, what do people need to work for if a good percentage of their income is given to them.

The welfare state was a great idea and set up to help people. We have a chunk of society who can’t work.

I know of many, many people who have had to take the conscious decision to not seek employment as when factoring in benefits, they’d be working a 40 hour week for £1 an hour. I’d be happy to lose £40 a week to forego a 40 hour working week.

Are you still allowed back into England for free on the grounds that you've suffered enough?
Yes, but Drippy Drakeford has ensured that it will take you so long to travel along the 30 miles of M4 between Newport and Bristol that you will give up and go home!