Wake Up Call for CMD & Fox

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Do you honestly think that Cameron, Fox, Osbourne and Alexander are going to take any notice whatsoever of this?
  3. Mr_Fingerz

In all honesty? No.

But, I think that they would be very foolish not to. The implied fall back is "if we can't do it then our Allies (for which read the US) will." To which I would reply - not if it's not in their immediate or long term interests they won't.

2015 could well be a re-run of 1982.
  4. I've got to fully agree with you there. I think that its all going to end in tears in that we're going to end up having a military disaster. Perhaps then, and only then will something be done but, somehow I doubt it.
  5. ................................

What Call me Dave and his Generals (and they are just as deeply mired!) rely on is the ability that the military have to do stuff with next to no resources and still somehow manage to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

We have a real aversion to saying no or to accepting failure when faced with a task, but are no longer in a WWII Battle of Britian scenario. Indeed to abuse Churchillian logic - the British military have done so much with so little for so long, that it seems they can actually do anything, with nothing, forever!!
  6. Has anyone mentioned the usual bollaux about the Falklands yet?
  7. Of course they will not. They will ask Cable the Clown what to do next. The Clown will say:

Cut more from the Defence budget;
    Send more money to the corrupt African dictators;
    Pay all benefits, at full rate, to all immigrants;
    Give more money to the greedily corrupt European Soviet Union;
    Raise taxes for all those on over £20,000 per annum;
    Make the City of London work to rules written in Frankfurt, Singapore and New York;
    Raise carbon taxes with immediate effect on all except immigrants;
    Build wind-farms on all areas designated as 'Outstanding in Natural Beauty'.

(Further Limp/Dim rubbish to be promulgated following approval from the European Soviet Union).
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Are you sponsored by Crayola?
    • Like Like x 3
  9. This close enough for you?
    btw, I agree that CMD et al are going to the square root of f-all about this. It will be "noted" and "filed" correctly. It will also come back and snap at the posterior of the government in power at about the 2018/2019 timescale.
  10. Have a nice day.
  11. Thought so, one presumes MPA is going to be shut down and dug up in 2015 then.
  12. Didn't Norway find itself in a similar position before World War 2? If I recall the story correctly, they cut their defence budget and called the Minister of Defence the 'Minister for Peace Promotion' or some such. I don't know if their version of the TA was meant to do most of the fighting, but it all made it easier for the Germans to invade.

The Norwegian resistance movement saved the country's reputation, but it shouldn't have gone that far.

Perhaps we are in some bizzare big science project where experiments are proved by endless repetition and the lessons to be learned are never implemented.
  13. That is too true.
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Done what, exactly? It's a sad truth, but we got our arrses kicked in Iraq, and we are well on the way to the same result in Helmand. Whatever spin you put on this, we have not 'won', which means, in effect, that we have lost. The Army sadly has very litttle credibility as an organisation within any area of Whitehall or Westminster, I'm afraid. Support soldiers, yes, that's a vote winner, but support the MOD/Army? No-one likes a loser.

A couple of other reality checks:
    - underlying this is the fact that There Is No Money. Brown spent so much, nad borrowed so much more, that we cannot afford to spend more on defence.
    - HCDC reports are routinely produced, and just as routinely ignored. Their report on the move to S Afghanistan, published a couple of weeks ago, was pretty hard-hitting, and made a few headlines then. It's been forgotten now, and the same will happen here.
    We also
  15. I think we have been lucky not to have had a disaster in Afghanistan or Iraq already, such as an isolated platoon being overrun and captured or wiped out. We are also very fortunate that the quality of the soldiers serving in these conditions are up to the challenge and don't make themselves easy targets. It is only a matter of time though. The opposition only has to be lucky once - we have to be lucky all the time.

It wouldn't take too many casualties to occur in one incident to spark off a major outcry in the media, with the subsequent witchhunt in Parliament.

If the Taliban (or any other future enemy) can pull off something like Warrenpoint then we shall see...