Waitwith Lines, Catterick

Are there any old sweats out there who are able to assist me with the exact location of the former Waitwith Lines?

It was the site of an armoured training regiment camp during WW2 and post-war through the National Service era. I understand that it was an old hutted camp of the wooden spider type and that the training regime there was notoriously harsh even for the times. I believe that its was closed down and demolished soon after a soldier under training there met his end in somewhat suspicious circumstances.

I'm guessing that it might have been one of the old camps out on the Shaiba training area, but I may be mistaken.

Are there any old sweats out there who are able to assist me with the exact location of the former Waitwith Lines?

It was the site of an armoured training regiment camp during WW2 and post-war through the National Service era. I understand that it was an old hutted camp of the wooden spider type and that the training regime there was notoriously harsh even for the times. I believe that its was closed down and demolished soon after a soldier under training there met his end in somewhat suspicious circumstances.

I'm guessing that it might have been one of the old camps out on the Shaiba training area, but I may be mistaken.
This was the last camp to the north of Catterick Garrison and was always the RAC Training Regiments barracks.

I myself did my Basic Training there with a regiment known as 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales Own)
They were such a bad training that they were moved from Waitwith Lines in May/ June 1960 after a big scandal exposed in the Daily Mirror, about the treatment being meted out to the Trainees.

I was badged to the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars, the successor to your fathers 8th Hussars, they were amalgated with 4th Queen's Own Hussars in 1958.

I think that Waitwith Lines was closed after that episode.
The next time I went to Catterick was to an Old Comrades reunion and I found that Waitwith Lines was no more the camp were the QRIH were was now the last camp in the North with a direct access to the Tank Training Area on Catterick Moors.

There is an Old Comrades troop in York, currently run by a Bernard Sharp, if you check on the QRH website you will see contact info for the various OC Troops round the UK.

Hope this is of some help.
My name is George Moores and I served with the QRIH for 22 years finishing as the Int and Training WO and have been in civvi street since 1982, am now fully retired but am in close contact with the current regiment and The Old Comrades Association.
From here: http://ronfry.blogspot.co.uk/2005/02/yet-another-photo-of-dad-at-catterick.html

Yep, thanks for that, but I already know this reference. It doesn't really pin down the location. I think that when he says, "the camp were (where?) the QRIH were was now the last camp in the North with a direct access to the Tank Training Area on Catterick Moors" he is talking about Bourlon Lines, as that has a back door onto the tank training area.

Waitwith Bank is some way NW from there, but I don't know if that indicates the vicinity of the camp (which puts it in Shaiba Training Area.) Another ref. I have found states that it was off the Richmond Road, which would put it somewhere further out of town from Gaza Lines, but quite a long way east from Waitwith Bank . There is no sign of a camp here, unless it was built over with MSQs or is now heavily forested.

There was also something called a 'cinegym' on the camp, whatever that was.

Surely its one of the lines which is now Cambrai or Alma. The blog says it had now become the barracks with direct access to the Tank ranges, which both these have. Just a name change, I'd guess.

Just checked with a friend - the Red Shield the was on Ava Road until a couple of years ago was originally linked with Waitwith, and its site was directly between the main gates of Alma and Cambrai - perhaps Waitwith became two separate barracks.

Just checked with a friend - the Red Shield the was on Ava Road until a couple of years ago was originally linked with Waitwith, and its site was directly between the main gates of Alma and Cambrai - perhaps Waitwith became two separate barracks.
I think that Alma, Cambrai, Megiddo have been there for a good long time, albeit not now the original buildings. There were also once Tigris, Euphrates, Basra, Mosul and Shaiba Lines out on the training area. You can still see the old hard-standings.

What few references that I have found indicate that Waitwith was somewhere up on the furthest north end of the garrison.

Last edited: