Waitrose - Park up the ourage bus were too slow

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by the_boy_syrup, Nov 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Looks like someone already used the Outrage bus on Arsses behalf

Really, disgusting? - shock of their lives to see a Chinook on the adverts?

People want to grow the fukc up a bit
    Dare we not show anything featuring soldiers these days incase it upsets the liite mites or their fans and famillies

My dad died of cancer I'm off to see if I can get the local tobaconists shut down
    As ex forces I believe I'm well within my right to do this in case it upsets my over sensitive soldier grief genes

Waitrose forced to remove clip from Christmas TV advert after complaints it would distress military families

Waitrose has been forced to remove a sequence from its Christmas TV advert following complaints that it was offensive to families of British soldiers.

The one-minute commercial was originally broadcast featuring a scene which depicted British troops returning home to celebrate with their families.

It finishes with the slogan: 'This Christmas, there's only one place to be.'

Waitrose removed the sequence following a flood of complaints from members of the public.

The company has admitted it may have 'distressed' families whose relatives had been killed or who were not returning home over Christmas.

The offending sequence shows a photographer and a group of soldiers landing in a Chinook military helicopter as they travel home to be reunited with friends and family.

Colonel Bob Stewart, the chairman of Action for Armed Forces, said: 'I do think this is a bit insensitive, both to the families of those who have been killed and to those troops who are still out there.
    'It does seem as though Waitrose are commercially trading on the goodwill the public have for the armed forces.'

John Pittman, 66, from Yeovil, Somerset, one of those who lodged a complaint, said he was 'shocked' by the 'upsetting' advert.
    He said: 'I was quite shocked by it. I think it's staggeringly insensitive to service families and could especially upset children.
    'I had the shock of my life because I know a lot of military families and I thought that it was totally inappropriate.
    'What a thing for children who are looking out of their windows for parents who aren't coming back to have to watch - it's disgusting".

towards the end of the one-minute advert a man dressed in camouflage clothing can be seen returning to Britain on a military helicopter packed with soldiers.
    As the Chinook lands the man's son can be seen eagerly waiting by a Christmas tree for his father to come home.

However, the ten-second scene has 'distressed' the families of servicemen and women who have given their lives or will be serving in Iraq or Afghanistan this Christmas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231188/Waitrose-forced-pull-Christmas-ad-complaints-offensive-families-servicemen.html#ixzz0Y0u5OSSn

[​IMG]

2. Valid point bud,we should ban travel/holiday advert's to Ireland etc etc etc to please one and all

3. The difference is BS is the fact we are speaking about little children here not adults and it must be distressing for them to watch the advert knowing they wont see their mum or dad at Christmas or their parents wont becoming back . I Personally think it was right to pull the Christmas ad and not cause any distress to these children

4. the_boy_syrup

Really kids can detect a drab green chinook with a bloke in civvys and two blurry figures in the back ground to Afghanistan ?
    It dosen't even show any soldiers did the Chinook have to tank on it's way back from Afghanistan or can it do it in one hit ?

Chubb is that you

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

In a oner!!!!

Right, he was offended on someone-else's behalf. Where have we seen that before?

As for shock of his life, utter utter crap!

6. Boy Syrup is not Chubb, but you lot need to get over yourselves and stop finding shite on the internet that we think is interesting.

Can I have a light please Gremmers?

7. Hardly outrage bus material, but I can see the point. The marketing department should have clocked that one and changed the wording.

8. Gremlin

Read the two posts above yours properly you tit!

And no I am not driving 60 bloody miles to give you a light, you lazy sod!

9. the_boy_syrup

Wasn't trawling the t'internet looking for sh1t that you may find interesting

I posted it in an effort to stop a 25 page Chubb and Chubb - u - likes getting outraged and calling for a boycott of Waitrose

I'm in York do you want me to pop up and give you one

A light :wink:

10. Didn't we go through this last year when the ad was aired in the run-up to the festives? I seem to recall some outrage-by-proxy on Pprune at the time.

Yep, thought so.

11. 60 Miles? From the Beach? You ignorant cunt.

Boy Syrup, it's been a hard days night, trust me. I was searching in vain for something in the RHQ thread that I could help with when I finished work, but found this first and it's wank. I've had bigger shites and bigger things to worry about.

Gremmers, you are still a lazy cunt.

Lunch tomorrow if you are down this way.

Stinking lazy orrificers. I shite em. :wink:

12. Gremlin

Thought that it rang a bell! Wasn't the bloke coming home a Journo or Snaps of some sort? -that was for Cloudbuster btw.....

& OK sluggy, it is 72.4 miles then, better?

To clear things up Glossy is the current name of our resident loon.

13. Nice catch babe x

14. Gremlin

Not me, the Maestro cracked it at post #1 on Monday!

15. Where did Waitrose get a wokka from? I am outraged, OUTRAGED I tell you. Our boys are sufferring from a lack of choppers and Waitrose uses one for its adverts. The world has gone mad. Where's the outrage bus? Theres never one around when you need one. Now I expect 3 will come along all at once.