Wait...what? Didn't even know it existed...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I see that, although mentioned in the article as an anachronism, there's no mention of "tied to the mast and flogged" being removed.

Last edited:
...... becuase some might regard that as a reward?

On a tangent, back in apartheid days, naughty prisoners were often shoved into solitary, and put on a no-salt diet, on half rations, for a month.
Sure, they lost weight, but the lack of salt, which we all overuse anyway, was apparently the worst part about it.

On a tangent, back in apartheid days, naughty prisoners were often shoved into solitary, and put on a no-salt diet, on half rations, for a month.
Sure, they lost weight, but the lack of salt, which we all overuse anyway, was apparently the worst part about it.
In those Inside Lockup type programs whenever they talk about food the lack of salt in cooking and it's absence from the mess hall is often noted.

Cramps nightly, presumably?

I read somewhere that the medical effects of a bread and water only diet were that the bread expanded in the stomach then formed a solid blockage as it moved lower down the bowel, hence the added "inconvenience" of constipation.

I am drawing no conclusions with regard to the Navy here......