WAGs Exercise?!?

Evening Everyone, I just wondered if anyone has organised a wives exercise or if anyone has any information on how you go about organising one? In the UK.

I am sure there will be a barrage of abuse, but someone must have done one before........

Cheers

:santa:

BATUS have one every year (or used to). Speak to the RSM.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Might I suggest that you talk to the leading lights of the Wives Club? (That'll be Mrs CO and Mrs RSM (unless your unit has gone completely co-ed)).

Thanks Dingerr, I was in BATUS when they did one, it was more like wives Adv Trg though and I am looking at making them lepoard crawl at least.......

Just do a simple exercise.

Issue them with ponchos and doss bags and get them to camp out over night.

Give them hexis and rats.

They can do little things like how to move without a weapon. Stick them on a night nav, with RVs with wine to be collected.

Put thm on the range with one on one supervision.

Do not use any ammunition or explosives.

Just do a simple exercise.

Issue them with ponchos and doss bags and get them to camp out over night.

Give them hexis and rats.

They can do little things like how to move without a weapon. Stick them on a night nav, with RVs with wine to be collected.

Put thm on the range with one on one supervision.
Thanks mate, I was looking for advice on the legality of it, insurance for instance and funding etc etc i.e are the rations provided free from the QMs? Cost of coach to get them to the Trg Area? taking civilians on a Trg area?!?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I would do, but the CO is female and they have never done a wives exercise here before.......
And? I'm sure that your CO would welcome your approach for advice (maybe one of her pervious units HAS done such an exercise), the Wives Club will welcome some input and Mrs RSM will almost certainly be overjoyed to be involved.

Don't forget to involve Soldier Magazine, the Regimental/Corps journal and the local press.

Thinking about it, I'm fairly certain the Gunner Magazine has, in the past, carried coverage of such exercises. It's on-line and a quick read through should be able to give you some pointers.

We did two (about 5 years ago so legalities may have changed) one for wives and one for father inlaws.

Contact your brigade g7 peeps.

I think we chopped money from the PRI etc to assist.

Unless dingerr knows something new about ammo, SASC would be a good start for civvies on ranges.

As far as the legality for civilians goes, consider that cadets are civilians and often go on exercise.

You'll need to write up the exercise and include such things as med cover and evacuation plans, possibly Risk Assessments as well.

Try contacting an ACF and ask them or get hold of the cadet handbook (is it JSP 316?). This may help.

Copy what Dinger said do not let the wives near live ammo! On ours the wives did some drill, some command tasks, weapon handling drills and were then taken on the DCCT with one on one supervision. This was then followed in the evening by a bbq and the wives sleeping out under poncho. Next day, a few different activities.

Not sure why I wrote Father in Laws...

Fathers, for Father's day.

On the fathers' one theey had a drive around in a 43, a pistol range and a dinner night.

I would do, but the CO is female and they have never done a wives exercise here before.......
Woman CO????? Is this an inventive way of "coming out"?

We did three, one for wives, one for father inlaws and one for favourite uncles.
When you say we did three, did you actualy organise it or was you just there? I know all about the EASPs and safety jargon as I do Range Conducting Officer for CLM Courses. I was more worried about funding or getting sued when a wife breaks her leg acting daft etc. I think I will call the local training area and ask them if anyone has used it for wives before and go from there.....I will also speak to the RSM.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Favourite memories from such events past.

The RMO who turned up and was offered to drive a Warrior, which he promptly put into a ditch and wedged between two trees, someone that no wive had done despite them all having a go.

The Mortar Officer who was leading the "enemy" being deserted by his men leading to his capture and subsequent tyig naked to a tree for several hours whilst said carried out a recce, held an O group etc

And my personal favorite, the CSM's wife who partook of rather too much vodka, deposied most of it inside hubby's doss bag along with evening rations. Not discovered until he next went out on exercise, couple of months later, leading to promt swopping of said doss bag with poor unfortunate private!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pickledjelly Weapons, Equipment & Rations 4
pomps The NAAFI Bar 1
Howling_Wolf Sports, Adventure Training and Events 6