Wagner Watch - the Russian PMC

The fat bloaters need all the protection they can get
If you are physically fit, and used to exercise you are less likely to injure yourself
Lots of people wore knee pads in the 82nd back in the day. Only for jumping though - rarely saw them in the field.

5645andym

Old-Salt
Early 1980’s our local surplus store had a load of Italian kit which we (cadets) all bought. It was in plain green and had large oval shaped rubber pads built in to the elbows and knees. It wasn’t special kit either, just seemed to be an ordinary combat jacket and trousers set.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Lots of people wore knee pads in the 82nd back in the day. Only for jumping though - rarely saw them in the field.
I meant the airsoft Brigade, the few round here that I see meeting up are all salad dodgers
I wear knee pads for work, sensible, more comfortable, and stops the splinters
Even my motorcycle kit has protective padding
But the bloaters I have worked with always seem to slip and fall awkwardly due to their weight, against muscle mass, and seemed to endure far more injuries than physically fit people

Early 1980’s our local surplus store had a load of Italian kit which we (cadets) all bought. It was in plain green and had large oval shaped rubber pads built in to the elbows and knees. It wasn’t special kit either, just seemed to be an ordinary combat jacket and trousers set.
I remember those, they were described as being Italian paratroopers kit.

They must perform an interesting PLF.
The big DZs at Bragg are clay and can get hard as a rock in summer. Every little bit helps, because we all know PLFs always go according to plan. I just tried to avoid looking like a sack of potatoes dropped from altitude. :)

1650973343731.png

Last edited:
Just land like a sack of potatoes, but as they say ' A good jump is one that you get up and walk away from.'

Remember the thing when we attended RTA's and the pissed up driver used to always get out and walk away whereas the sober driver was injured. The assumption was that the pissed up driver was alcohol relaxed, slower to react and tense up than the sober driver so used to remain uninjured.

You could possibly apply the same theory to PLF's; don't tense, and dollop in like a relaxed sack of spuds, rather than being all tensed up trying to time and execute a PLF.

Remember the thing when we attended RTA's and the pissed up driver used to always get out and walk away whereas the sober driver was injured. The assumption was that the pissed up driver was alcohol relaxed, slower to react and tense up than the sober driver so used to remain uninjured.

You could possibly apply the same theory to PLF's; don't tense, and dollop in like a relaxed sack of spuds, rather than being all tensed up trying to time and execute a PLF.
My night landings seemed to go better, probably because the landing was always a bit of a surprise.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My night landings seemed to go better, probably because the landing was always a bit of a surprise.
We all know a few that have only ever done night exits.

Hated the thought of lobbing so much it was eyes tightly closed each time.

The melodic thud, thud, clang, grunt of meat making contact with the klip brings a nostalgic little tear to the eye.