Wagner Watch - the Russian PMC

Arrsers have nothing against airsofters. Here is the ARRSE airsoft regiment in action last weekend.

round_guy_airsoft.jpg

Morning @gaijin,
WTAF has he/she/it, got a push dagger for?

All this talk about 'tactical trousers' and knee pads make me wonder how we* managed in the old days.

A Sqn 1973 or 74.jpg

* when I say 'we' I mean Them, obviously. There's no me in Them.

The fat bloaters need all the protection they can get
If you are physically fit, and used to exercise you are less likely to injure yourself
The first people who really bought into knee/elbow pads and hockey style helmets were the very fit SEAL Teams.
Then everyone else looked at them and said.
"How many pairs of trousers have I wrecked when taking a knee? How much more comfortable is this when shooting? Why didn't I think of that?"
There's no reason why PPE wasn't more widely used apart from the Colonel or the RSM not liking it because it wasn't "smart".

The first people who really bought into knee/elbow pads and hockey style helmets were the very fit SEAL Teams.
"How many pairs of trousers have I wrecked when taking a knee? How much more comfortable is this when shooting? Why didn't I think of that?"
There's no reason why PPE wasn't more widely used apart from the Colonel or the RSM not liking it because it wasn't "smart".

Morning @HectortheInspector,
I used skateboard kneepads for a Belfast tour '85/'86. Wore them under combat kex as I would've had an interview sans coffee otherwise.
Got the piss ripped a bit but for healthy knees, it was worth it.

E2a: Wore footie shinpads when going to stone throwing 'events' as well.

Last edited:
Morning @HectortheInspector,
I used skateboard kneepads for a Belfast tour '85/'86. Wore them under combat kex as I would've had an interview sans coffee otherwise.
Got the piss ripped a bit but for healthy knees, it was worth it.
I'm sure snipers and other types dabbled, and there was a smock design that had the ability to have elbow pad inserts (which were never issued,unless you cut up a roll mat), but there was never a major issue or acceptance until recently.

Boxy

GCM
I'm sure snipers and other types dabbled, and there was a smock design that had the ability to have elbow pad inserts (which were never issued,unless you cut up a roll mat), but there was never a major issue or acceptance until recently.
When UBACS were first issued there were soft inserts in the forearm, upper arm and shoulders, a right pain to put back in after laundering.

The PCS lightweight jacket (shirt) also had pockets on the forearm for, allegedly, sort armour inserts that were never seen.

Subsequent generations of both had these removed

Indeed. In the last month the sales at Varusteleka (Finnish version of the old HM Supplies of the 80s-90s) have increased by over 80%, largely due to reservists (over 900000 of them in Finland) wanting to get themselves in order before fighting the Russians. Further, in one small town, the civil-defence / defend-yourself course for women was fully booked in hours - 400 on the course and 500 on the waiting list. Perhaps they have read about the Russian troops. And Finland has the most artillery of any European country, I wonder why?

Wagner Group Moto is:

Death is Our Business, and Business is Good!

First documented use of the phrase was in Vietnam................so, nothing original there,.....again.

Arrsers have nothing against airsofters. Here is the ARRSE airsoft regiment (SF Wing) in action last weekend.

round_guy_airsoft.jpg

Ahem, corrected FOC.

They just had more knee injuries, PPE works and allows you to do things you couldn't without it.

I think back to when I was a padbrat and all the old mans mates who had knee op's, and even kneecap removals.