W@nk Durch!!!!!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Darling_P, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I have seen "**** Durch" on a few topics, could someone tell me the meaning?
  2. It's an RGJ thing.

The explanation I got was that the RGJ lads thought that "durch" means "opposite" in German (which it doesn't BTW) So they say "w@nk durch" if something's good. "Good durch" for something arrse etc

Slim durch.....fat.....you get the meaning
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

As smudge posted above, it was a forerunner of the way kids today use the word 'not' i.e. 'That was good ... NOT!"

Hence Wank durch became an appreciation of something good. There are even car stickers with the legend on regimental colours. Exclusively Royal Green Jackets and now Rifles, the origins are lost in the mists of time though there's probably a thread on here which names the founder.
  4. You crafty old jacket durch!
  5. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

There was even a rifleman durch on the regimental roll in one of the battalions.

My old Sjt showed me it at depot and I thought it was a ruse to get extra rations divvied out. Typical jackets.
  6. Hi guys,
    Thanks very much, I appreciate everyones input.
    All the best
  7. Indeed. A Regimental scroll was produced on the 25th anniversary (1991) - at which time Rfn D.I.B. ("Dib"!) Durch was serving in 3 RGJ. Except he wasn't really. W@nkdurch!!
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yes he was! How can you insinuate that a CQMS or RQMS would stoop so low as to pretend to have extras on their roll, just so they could fiddle something. A total impugning of honest and upright men!
  9. I think 3RGJ were a bit short of geezers at the time (like about 200 short), so maybe inventing them would be enough to save us from the loss of a Bn. Didn't work, obviously....
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And very sadly. We were short at the top end of the scale too. The Mafia had slipped from positions of power.
    I was in at the first disbandment, when all that was left was 'R' Coy. Damn shame.
  11. Regarding DURCH

When I joined the 3rd Bn back in 76, in Berlin it was being used then, one of the main exponents as I remember was a skinny bugler, called K***y, from the Nottingham area, who also liked a drink, he was a legend in his own lunchtime, my favourite memory of him, was when he was duty bugler, and had to play the various bugle calls through the day, around the camp, usually by the NAAFI chucking out time, the sound coming from his bugle was a thing to behold, mind you he was given the oppurtunity to ply his trade in a rifle company shortly afterwards.

It is good to see that this tradition has carried on in the Rifles, incidentally I do remember reading a book about the British Army written some time ago, that also had a short chapter about 3 RGJ's own special language.
  12. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

If it's any consolation we had a CO in 3 then 2LI who wanted to reinstitute the bugle commands around barracks. All sounds great except for when he started and wanted to talk to an OC, you would hear the clarion call and then watch four company commodes huddling outside Space HQ trying to work out which one he was after. It then descended into a bit of a farce but the Adj talked him out of it because it used to go CO to Adj to order the call, Adj to Chief Clerk, Chief to bugler, OCs invariably calling Adj seconds later to check which one was wanted.

All he had to do was pick up the plastic bugle on his desk with the little lanyard coming out its backside.
  14. Re the bugle calls most of us did not know what they meant, and I agree those black plastic things on most office desks are a lot more efficient, but hey it was a good tradition, epecially the last thing at night, mind you I never did enjoy reveille!