W@nk Durch!!!!!

#2
It's an RGJ thing.

The explanation I got was that the RGJ lads thought that "durch" means "opposite" in German (which it doesn't BTW) So they say "w@nk durch" if something's good. "Good durch" for something arrse etc

Slim durch.....fat.....you get the meaning
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
As smudge posted above, it was a forerunner of the way kids today use the word 'not' i.e. 'That was good ... NOT!"

Hence Wank durch became an appreciation of something good. There are even car stickers with the legend on regimental colours. Exclusively Royal Green Jackets and now Rifles, the origins are lost in the mists of time though there's probably a thread on here which names the founder.
 

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
There was even a rifleman durch on the regimental roll in one of the battalions.

My old Sjt showed me it at depot and I thought it was a ruse to get extra rations divvied out. Typical jackets.
 
#7
udipur said:
There was even a rifleman durch on the regimental roll in one of the battalions.

My old Sjt showed me it at depot and I thought it was a ruse to get extra rations divvied out. Typical jackets.
Indeed. A Regimental scroll was produced on the 25th anniversary (1991) - at which time Rfn D.I.B. ("Dib"!) Durch was serving in 3 RGJ. Except he wasn't really. W@nkdurch!!
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#9
Hobo-Ken said:
udipur said:
There was even a rifleman durch on the regimental roll in one of the battalions.

My old Sjt showed me it at depot and I thought it was a ruse to get extra rations divvied out. Typical jackets.
Indeed. A Regimental scroll was produced on the 25th anniversary (1991) - at which time Rfn D.I.B. ("Dib"!) Durch was serving in 3 RGJ. Except he wasn't really. W@nkdurch!!
Yes he was! How can you insinuate that a CQMS or RQMS would stoop so low as to pretend to have extras on their roll, just so they could fiddle something. A total impugning of honest and upright men!
 
#10
I think 3RGJ were a bit short of geezers at the time (like about 200 short), so maybe inventing them would be enough to save us from the loss of a Bn. Didn't work, obviously....
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#11
Hobo-Ken said:
I think 3RGJ were a bit short of geezers at the time (like about 200 short), so maybe inventing them would be enough to save us from the loss of a Bn. Didn't work, obviously....
And very sadly. We were short at the top end of the scale too. The Mafia had slipped from positions of power.
I was in at the first disbandment, when all that was left was 'R' Coy. Damn shame.
 
#12
Regarding DURCH


When I joined the 3rd Bn back in 76, in Berlin it was being used then, one of the main exponents as I remember was a skinny bugler, called K***y, from the Nottingham area, who also liked a drink, he was a legend in his own lunchtime, my favourite memory of him, was when he was duty bugler, and had to play the various bugle calls through the day, around the camp, usually by the NAAFI chucking out time, the sound coming from his bugle was a thing to behold, mind you he was given the oppurtunity to ply his trade in a rifle company shortly afterwards.

It is good to see that this tradition has carried on in the Rifles, incidentally I do remember reading a book about the British Army written some time ago, that also had a short chapter about 3 RGJ's own special language.
 

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
dusty_jacket said:
Regarding DURCH


When I joined the 3rd Bn back in 76, in Berlin it was being used then, one of the main exponents as I remember was a skinny bugler, called K***y, from the Nottingham area, who also liked a drink, he was a legend in his own lunchtime, my favourite memory of him, was when he was duty bugler, and had to play the various bugle calls through the day, around the camp, usually by the NAAFI chucking out time, the sound coming from his bugle was a thing to behold, mind you he was given the oppurtunity to ply his trade in a rifle company shortly afterwards.

It is good to see that this tradition has carried on in the Rifles, incidentally I do remember reading a book about the British Army written some time ago, that also had a short chapter about 3 RGJ's own special language.
If it's any consolation we had a CO in 3 then 2LI who wanted to reinstitute the bugle commands around barracks. All sounds great except for when he started and wanted to talk to an OC, you would hear the clarion call and then watch four company commodes huddling outside Space HQ trying to work out which one he was after. It then descended into a bit of a farce but the Adj talked him out of it because it used to go CO to Adj to order the call, Adj to Chief Clerk, Chief to bugler, OCs invariably calling Adj seconds later to check which one was wanted.

All he had to do was pick up the plastic bugle on his desk with the little lanyard coming out its backside.
 
#14
udipur said:
dusty_jacket said:
Regarding DURCH
I joined the 3rd in 79 in Londonderry it was well used there, I also remember K@@?y being a highly skilled exponent of Durch. After Londonderry we went to Cambridge where it started to become heavily stylised " oh wa@k duurrch" and many accents were used. Sounds daft but you had to be part of it, it was ******* hilarious. It was an epidemic by the time I left in Celle. I too am am glad the tradition continues.

When I joined the 3rd Bn back in 76, in Berlin it was being used then, one of the main exponents as I remember was a skinny bugler, called K***y, from the Nottingham area, who also liked a drink, he was a legend in his own lunchtime, my favourite memory of him, was when he was duty bugler, and had to play the various bugle calls through the day, around the camp, usually by the NAAFI chucking out time, the sound coming from his bugle was a thing to behold, mind you he was given the oppurtunity to ply his trade in a rifle company shortly afterwards.

It is good to see that this tradition has carried on in the Rifles, incidentally I do remember reading a book about the British Army written some time ago, that also had a short chapter about 3 RGJ's own special language.
If it's any consolation we had a CO in 3 then 2LI who wanted to reinstitute the bugle commands around barracks. All sounds great except for when he started and wanted to talk to an OC, you would hear the clarion call and then watch four company commodes huddling outside Space HQ trying to work out which one he was after. It then descended into a bit of a farce but the Adj talked him out of it because it used to go CO to Adj to order the call, Adj to Chief Clerk, Chief to bugler, OCs invariably calling Adj seconds later to check which one was wanted.

All he had to do was pick up the plastic bugle on his desk with the little lanyard coming out its backside.
 
#15
Re the bugle calls most of us did not know what they meant, and I agree those black plastic things on most office desks are a lot more efficient, but hey it was a good tradition, epecially the last thing at night, mind you I never did enjoy reveille!
 
L

Lechies

Guest
#16
after my jnco cadre, all the newly promoted lance jacks had to report to the stick man every morning after muster and identify bugle calls, that's how he sorted extras out the tashy cnut.
 
#17
Hi, thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread.
I was speeking to an ex jacket a couple of weeks ago, and he said that the RGJ used to have a unique way of showing rank on the rear of the helmet. Is they're any truth in this, because I can't find anything about it on google or arrsepedia?
Thanks for Reading
 
#18
ah yes the word **** durch used it a lot in my time in the reg i served with 2 rgj in r coy and yes still to this day i use it and the rank sorting out on the rear of our helmets never come across that but i do know one thing about how we wear our berets only r coy and ex 3 rgj could wear there cap badge around the side not above the eye that tells people in the rgj that they was black maffia or r coy if you joined after 3rgj (black maffia) was disbanned
 
#19
Does anyone remember the "Dennis says 3 RGJ are soft durch" t - shirts after the 84 West Belfast tour featuring Dennis the Menace and Gnasher ramboes up to f*ck with gimpys ammo belts etc .....recently reprinted after popular demand by the old and bold..........
 
#20
ah yes the word **** durch used it a lot in my time in the reg i served with 2 rgj in r coy and yes still to this day i use it and the rank sorting out on the rear of our helmets never come across that but i do know one thing about how we wear our berets only r coy and ex 3 rgj could wear there cap badge around the side not above the eye that tells people in the rgj that they was black maffia or r coy if you joined after 3rgj (black maffia) was disbanned
I have still got mine, its a bit snug though!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TankiesYank The NAAFI Bar 26
fas_et_gloria The NAAFI Bar 17
E The NAAFI Bar 8

Similar threads

Latest Threads