Vulcan 607

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by 11D, Jul 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 11D

11D Old-Salt

Just finished reading this book and what a corker!

Prob the last of the great British bombing raids telling the story of how we sent our 'V-Force' down to bomb the APOD at Port Stanley 25 Years ago.

In true Crab Air style, all didnt go according to plan and you can read into the cock ups that were made in the planning process (lack of rehearsals etc..)

But a damn good read.

I remember being at an airshow at 5 years old, screaming my t1ts off and balling my eyes out as a Vulcan flew overhead! What a noise!

Anyway......couldn't put the book down and thoroughly reccomend this book.
  2. wasnt the actual bomber that droppoed the bombs a figure piece at blackpool airport ??

untill somebody decided that a fitting end would be to break it up for scrap..
  3. Yes great book...
  4. 11D

11D Old-Salt

As far as I know, it is still a gate guard at RAF Waddington on the A15
  5. No, the Vulcan at Blackpool was XL391. XM607 is at RAF Waddington, I believe.
  6. I'll get a copy; I grew up to the roar of Vulcans at RAF Scampton, a beautiful aircraft. There is a Vulcan at Carlisle aircraft museum and it totally enthralled my kids
  7. 11D

11D Old-Salt

You can still see the craters left from the bombing raid on google earth as well! :D
  8. Some would have you add the word allegedly into that statement, since a little deception went on after the raid.

Not that this should detract from the enormous efforts that went into this and the other missions in '82, but the runway was still usable after the raid.
  9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

agreed, a corking read.

I picked up my copy in Tesco's for 2/3 the cover price.
  10. If I had written it I would have had them mallet Buenos Aires as well... and Mel Gibson would have been the pilot
  11. I bid on EBay for the one at Blackpool, it went for 16 grand or something in the end, quite chuffed I didn't win in some ways as mentioning those immortal lines "You never guess what I bid on last night............." Went down a storm lmfao :)
  12. There was a Vulcan standing at Southend Airport for years. I don't know what happened to it, shame if it was broken up. Watched a programme on Sky a week or two ago, about a Vulcan being restored to an airworthy state.
  13. Maybe, maninblue.... it was a waste of resources but....

Could it have been thought as a statement of fact.... yes, maybe for the effort required it didn't have a massive effect.... but could it have been us saying 'Our nuclear bombers can reach you!'....
  14. No arguments with that!

Guess they had to make an attempt to make it tri-service, eh?
  15. Long range strategic bombing has its place..... maybe not in the current situation, but it has its place. and its effectiveness. I'm sure a commander on the ground wouldn't dismiss the opportunity (if we really still had it) when the time arose. Granted in situations such as Iraq and Afghanistan, it is not as appropriate.

I am slightly confused over the statement involving Bomber Harris... he advocated (with arguably good reasons) strategic area bombings. I would of thought that the targeting of an airfield would of thought to be a strategic precision target.