vt heart

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DieHard, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

ok playing rugby couple of years ago resultd in terrific blow to chest and uncomfortable feeling in chest described by gp as panic attacks,how wrong, now in a ccu at local hospital with atrial fibluration and something called vt after my heart ate went up to 240 beats per minute on a tradmill but i felt fine. what i want to know is what is vt ,ive been told im gonna have an angiagramm/plasy and or a cardioversion but after repeated questions still not sure what vt is.besides that all you arrsers out there are making my stay here less boring .

2. Courtesy of Google;

Ventricular Tachycardia (VT)
    Characterized by a very fast heart rate,VT usually is seen in the setting of other serious heart disease. Occasionally, it occurs in people with normal hearts. It usually requires prompt treatment, sometimes with medication. Sometimes it is treated with radiofrequency ablation or surgery.Often people with VT are protected by implantation of a defibrillator. Because VT can lead to ventricular fibrillation (next item) it is considered a serious condition that warrants aggressive monitoring and treatment.

Ventricular Fibrillation (VF) Sudden cardiac death, caused by ventricular fibrillation, poses the greatest threat and accounts for half of all cardiac deaths. In VF, the heartbeat is rapid and chaotic,which causes the lower heart chambers, or ventricles, to go into a spasm. Sometimes, however, a heart attack can lead to VF. VF is abrupt and happens without any warning and it halts all heart functioning.The lack of oxygen throughout the body, and especially to the brain, is deadly.Also known as cardiac arrest, sudden cardiac death is due to an electrical circuitry problem. It is not a the same as a heart attack, or myocardial infarction,which is a circulatory problem caused by clogged blood vessels that cut off the supply of blood to the heart.

3. Had VT for 2 yrs (my heart beat would race to 200 by just sitting on my arse) was defibrillated 38 time over that period and that was through salmonella food poisoning at a military BBQ, now I was told by a cardiologist that they were going attach an internal defibrillator but the ex at the time knew of another cardiologist so transferred to him and he did ablation http://www.hrspatients.org/patients/treatments/cardiac_ablation.asp

never had a problem since and that was back in 2001

4. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

fcuk thanks wish i wouldnt of asked now ,at least im in the right place ,i would like to say thats made me feel better but to be honest i cant fcuk fcukking fcuk bllocks shit cnut weird thing is i dont fcking feel ill . fcuk me shit happens eh

5. The text only shows what untreated VT can lead to, but you ARE being treated for it.

You'll be alright you handbag.

6. At least they've caught it before something bad happens. Its serious, yes, but its also very treatable. There are a lot of people who live with it (most of them have implanted defibrillators) and do very well.
    If you don't understand something properly you MUST speak to your doctor and get them to explain it until you do. Its your body after all and they won't be annoyed about it. If the consultant is too busy on the ward round, speak to the registrar or even the F1 (house officer). Its their job not only to treat your problems but to help you understand it and they won't begrudge you that.

7. The ablation is nothing was quite interesting lying down while the cardiologist passes tubes up your groin and down your neck for 4hrs and watching everything on the tv lol you'll be fine

8. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

IM AM AT THAT im more pissed off cos im gonna lose out going to football and cos my gp shrugged it off as anxiety ,just showed this thread to thr registrar who has now described things a bit more clearly and reckons i will be sorted and back home in a week,thanks for your help i really mean it.

9. No worries, just remember who your helpful chums were next time you do any amendments to your last will & testament. :D