VRSM (again)

Can anyone point me to the regulations dealing with the VRSM please? In particular, I need to view the detail on taking previous regular service into account when applying for an award. I have access to the defence intranet but have found nothing that covers this despite numerous attempts.

1. Type "vrsm" into google search engine.
2. Open the first link and read.
3. Errm, that's it. Easy really...

Qualifying criteria

Reserve personnel shall be eligible for award of the VRSM after 10 years reckonable service in the Reserve Forces, provided that they have earned training bounty as required by their obligatory training commitment as defined in individual service regulations in 9 out of the 10 qualifying years.

Up to 5 years former regular service may count as half qualifying time, giving a maximum of 2 and a half years eligible service. Complex regulations apply to the use of former service and periods of Full Time Regular Service (FTRS) as qualifying time towards the VRSM and the regulations should therefore be studied in detail. Complex regulations also apply to the transition between the former separate service reserve medals and the VRSM.

Any additional period of 5 years reckonable service shall merit award of the Clasp to the VRSM.

Full details are laid out in DCI JS 53/99 and, also for the RAUXAF, AP3392 Vol 7 Leaflet 702 Annex B.

But regular service is a VERY grey area when qualifying for the VRSM, but good luck!

See also: APPENDIX 2 TO ANNEX C TO CHAPTER 3 VRSM QUALIFYING PERIODS READY RECKONER (PARA 18 REFERS) in TA Regs.

msr

msr said:
See also: APPENDIX 2 TO ANNEX C TO CHAPTER 3 VRSM QUALIFYING PERIODS READY RECKONER (PARA 18 REFERS) in TA Regs.

msr
Sit you need to get out more to know and quote that.

Or are you fighting to get yours :wink: :wink:

No, I was looking into it for a fellow officer, and it is rather complex.

msr

msr said:
No, I was looking into it for a fellow officer, and it is rather complex.

msr
Oh great should I start applying for mine now its due in 2011

Does anyone know if there is a time limit to the inclusion of previous experience ?

I have been told that all my previous experience has been discounted as I was too long out of green between Reg and TA (some 5-6 yrs)

Thing is I did 12 in the regs, which means I would have some 22 yrs in green before I get any recognition of time in service, which I feel is complete pants

Do you have to put the clasp on ?Dont really want to let all and sundry know how long i have been wasting the tax payers money :D

Mines was even better, when I joined it was still the TAEM so prior service didnt count.......cue VRSM where it does but it was too long ago to count? make sense?dunno, I lost the will to live at the time! so now I have VRSM and Bar, but not got around to getting bar mounted..

Mr Happy said:
and to confirm, VRSM cannot be used as post nominals? Ever?
PART 6 - DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

The Volunteer Reserves Service Medal

3.241. The Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VRSM) and Clasps are awarded to personnel of all ranks in recognition of long and efficient service of proved capacity in the Volunteer Reserve Forces. The award of the VRSM and its Clasps is governed generally by the Royal Warrant dated 29 March 1999 and regulations made under the authority of that Royal Warrant. It carries no rights to the use of post-nominal letters.

I believe the rules are that 1/2 your regular army service counts up to a maximum of 2 1/2 years if you have a break of less than 3 years from when you leave the regulars until you join the TA.

If you receive a LSGC medal you have to serve another 5 years after that in regular service to gain the 2 1/2 years, but the 3 year break still applies.

If you have neither of the above you have to serve 10 years in the TA with, I think 9 bountiful years. If you have a break of more than 3 bountyless years your reckonable service starts again.

I'm not sure that this is all correct, I always have to look up the regs everytime someone shouts 'where's my medal'. Am I the only HR administrator that calculates the entitlement and applies for them?

Mr Happy

LE
blaze said:
If you have neither of the above you have to serve 10 years in the TA with, I think 9 bountiful years. If you have a break of more than 3 bountyless years your reckonable service starts again.
I believe, ahhhmmm, there is some wiggle room on this bit. Assuming your CO is a good chap..

So whats the score for applying for the VRSM, corner the chief clerk in the bar, pester the boss or bore the pants off the admin clerk, or a mixture of all 3

LEFTY478 said:
1. Type "vrsm" into google search engine.
2. Open the first link and read.
3. Errm, that's it. Easy really...

Qualifying criteria

Reserve personnel shall be eligible for award of the VRSM after 10 years reckonable service in the Reserve Forces, provided that they have earned training bounty as required by their obligatory training commitment as defined in individual service regulations in 9 out of the 10 qualifying years.

Up to 5 years former regular service may count as half qualifying time, giving a maximum of 2 and a half years eligible service. Complex regulations apply to the use of former service and periods of Full Time Regular Service (FTRS) as qualifying time towards the VRSM and the regulations should therefore be studied in detail. Complex regulations also apply to the transition between the former separate service reserve medals and the VRSM.

Any additional period of 5 years reckonable service shall merit award of the Clasp to the VRSM.

Full details are laid out in DCI JS 53/99 and, also for the RAUXAF, AP3392 Vol 7 Leaflet 702 Annex B.
Thanks, but at the risk of being pedantic I have already viewed this bit (on the MOD medals site I believe) and the DCI. Both refer to "complex" regulations that they do not lay out or point to. I need the specific reference for those rules.

msr said:

msr
Which is here. VMT.

Note to self- read whole thread before posting.

polar69 said:
So whats the score for applying for the VRSM, corner the chief clerk in the bar, pester the boss or bore the pants off the admin clerk, or a mixture of all 3
Got my bar when I last transferred, was that 5 years ago????

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wayne1972 Army Reserve 56
G Army Reserve 16
Japster Army Reserve 3