VRSM (again)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Neuroleptic, Jul 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone point me to the regulations dealing with the VRSM please? In particular, I need to view the detail on taking previous regular service into account when applying for an award. I have access to the defence intranet but have found nothing that covers this despite numerous attempts.

2. 1. Type "vrsm" into google search engine.
    2. Open the first link and read.
    3. Errm, that's it. Easy really...

3. But regular service is a VERY grey area when qualifying for the VRSM, but good luck!

4. msr

msr LE

See also: APPENDIX 2 TO ANNEX C TO CHAPTER 3 VRSM QUALIFYING PERIODS READY RECKONER (PARA 18 REFERS) in TA Regs.

msr

5. Sit you need to get out more to know and quote that.

Or are you fighting to get yours :wink: :wink:

6. msr

msr LE

No, I was looking into it for a fellow officer, and it is rather complex.

msr

7. I imagine mines in the same box as the Queens Jubbly medal

:lol:

8. Oh great should I start applying for mine now its due in 2011

9. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to the inclusion of previous experience ?

I have been told that all my previous experience has been discounted as I was too long out of green between Reg and TA (some 5-6 yrs)

Thing is I did 12 in the regs, which means I would have some 22 yrs in green before I get any recognition of time in service, which I feel is complete pants

10. Do you have to put the clasp on ?Dont really want to let all and sundry know how long i have been wasting the tax payers money :D

11. Mines was even better, when I joined it was still the TAEM so prior service didnt count.......cue VRSM where it does but it was too long ago to count? make sense?dunno, I lost the will to live at the time! so now I have VRSM and Bar, but not got around to getting bar mounted..

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

and to confirm, VRSM cannot be used as post nominals? Ever?

13. msr

msr LE

PART 6 - DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

The Volunteer Reserves Service Medal

3.241. The Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VRSM) and Clasps are awarded to personnel of all ranks in recognition of long and efficient service of proved capacity in the Volunteer Reserve Forces. The award of the VRSM and its Clasps is governed generally by the Royal Warrant dated 29 March 1999 and regulations made under the authority of that Royal Warrant. It carries no rights to the use of post-nominal letters.

14. You might have a problem with your JPA records, theirs a post ArmyNet mentioning data loss during migration from UNICOM to JPA

15. I believe the rules are that 1/2 your regular army service counts up to a maximum of 2 1/2 years if you have a break of less than 3 years from when you leave the regulars until you join the TA.

If you receive a LSGC medal you have to serve another 5 years after that in regular service to gain the 2 1/2 years, but the 3 year break still applies.

If you have neither of the above you have to serve 10 years in the TA with, I think 9 bountiful years. If you have a break of more than 3 bountyless years your reckonable service starts again.

I'm not sure that this is all correct, I always have to look up the regs everytime someone shouts 'where's my medal'. Am I the only HR administrator that calculates the entitlement and applies for them?