• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Voter ID pilot Schemes

Also can someone please bin the grocers’ apostrophe from the title, it’s causing me some distress.

Seriously? Producing ID is "reducing your civil liberties", what a snowflake.
Long long overdue to provide the ability to identify your entitlement to the benefits of being a British Citizen. For example using libraries and hospitals. There is far too much abuse of the UKs medical facilities by non entitled people to the detriment of those who are actually paying for it.
Entitlement to NHS services isn't based on citizenship though, it's based on residency which is a far more nebulous status

How is “not having to show someone your driving licence when you turn up to vote” a hard won freedom? Did you have to throw yourself in front of a horse at some point to protest this very specific point? You already have to STATE who you are in order to vote, I’m struggling to see what’s so much worse about proving it.

Yes, because it borders Park. There’s bound to be some spreading.
Why should you need to prove your ID twice ,when the voting card has your name on it and yes total emancipation was a freedom won with blood more than 200 years ago so your comments are specious.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sorry. I've edited the thread title since 'scheme's' was annoying the hell out of me.

F**king erroneous apostrophes.

... when was the last time you were required to prove your citizenship to access your local Library,School or Hospital...
While being aware of the potential threat to "freedoms", I had to show proof of identity when applying for my library card and was also asked for NI number when visiting A&E.

Considering how many times one has to show id during day to day living; banking, driving, travelling, shopping.......
Asking someone to show they are legit when deciding who will run the country,county or borough for the next few years doesn't seem much of an infringement.

Last edited:
Why should you need to prove your ID twice ,when the voting card has your name on it and yes total emancipation was a freedom won with blood more than 200 years ago so your comments are specious.
Because my vote is too important to be nullified by someone else’s fraud.

Because my vote is too important to be nullified by someone else’s fraud.
So have you ever turned up at the polling station and found someone else had voted for you?
as a pure guess that will apply to the vast majority so as the card you hold has your name and address on it and as the vast majority normally abide by the law why would a second ID be required, unless as a way of disenfranchising some voters.

So what you are agreeing to is the premise that you aren't a UK citizen until you prove you are, an entitlement to benefits doesn't require proof of UK residency as it is presumed by the fact that you will have a birth certificate driving licence and NI number. It is not for majority to prove who they are but for the State to disprove. That is the basis of UK Society and its acceptance of rule by consent.Would you prefer Total State control, in which case you will not be allowed on sites such as this the media will be state controlled and the internet severely restricted. If thats being a 'Snowflake' then I'm ready for the blizzard.
How much actual abuse is there of the UK NHS system ,do you actually know, because I don't but apart from the stories placed in the media how do we really know about anything and that's with current civil liberties.......
Have you spent any time in a hospital recently?

How is “not having to show someone your driving licence when you turn up to vote” a hard won freedom? Did you have to throw yourself in front of a horse at some point to protest this very specific point? You already have to STATE who you are in order to vote, I’m struggling to see what’s so much worse about proving it.

Yes, because it borders Park. There’s bound to be some spreading.
Park, unlike Walcot, is very much right-to-buy, owner-occupier territory these days. My mate Chris bought a three-bed semi there for £118,000 six years ago and sold it after Christmas for £183,000. His circumstances are not atypical.

So have you ever turned up at the polling station and found someone else had voted for you?
as a pure guess that will apply to the vast majority so as the card you hold has your name and address on it and as the vast majority normally abide by the law why would a second ID be required, unless as a way of disenfranchising some voters.
So, if I understand you correctly, the percentage of people committing this fraud is quite low, therefore there is no point legislating to introduce safeguards.

I have never been run over by, or otherwise been the victim of, a drunk driver and I reckon only a very small percentage of people have. I reckon, by your logic, that we should abandon the breath and urine tests and just ask the driver in such an accident if they are over the limit or not. If they say no, then we take their word for it and let them get on their way. After all it's not a real problem and we could save a fortune.

By the way, possession of a piece of paper with someone's name on it, does not make you that person. Tricky concept I know.

Asking someone to show they are legit when deciding who will run the country,county or borough for the next few years doesn't seem much of an infringement.
No. Of course it isn't, but those of the left wing persuasion will look for any excuse to complain about it.

OK, let's go one step further and make voting compulsory for qualified citizens. This really would need tight administration, and some kind of verification if it's an offence not to vote. Perhaps unique ID's would do it. Whilst every voter could be defrauded on the day, just like every credit card can, given enough time one could work out exactly who and how, and some spectacular sentences for offenders would reduce the incidence of it over, say, four general elections. Those who aren't in favour of parliamentary democracy are welcome just to wilfully spoil their papers as at present, or we can add an extra box for them to tick.

(Or, for the disenfranchised illiterates, revert to the old South African system of being given three coloured pingpong balls on entering the booth, and depositing the colour of your candidate into the sealed box. On departure, hand your un-used balls to the men from the Bureau of State Security to prove you have voted)

So, if I understand you correctly, the percentage of people committing this fraud is quite low, therefore there is no point legislating to introduce safeguards.

I have never been run over by, or otherwise been the victim of, a drunk driver and I reckon only a very small percentage of people have. I reckon, by your logic, that we should abandon the breath and urine tests and just ask the driver in such an accident if they are over the limit or not. If they say no, then we take their word for it and let them get on their way. After all it's not a real problem and we could save a fortune.

By the way, possession of a piece of paper with someone's name on it, does not make you that person. Tricky concept I know.
The percentage of voter fraud is low and in the main they are usually caught using current safeguards so further safeguards are not required as the current ones are shown to work, as for your drunk driver whataboutery drink driving victims far outway the number of fraudulent voters.......
You're correct in that possessing a piece of paper with a name on it doesn't guarantee that it is who you are but in general ,as MY voting card was registered by ME with my local authority and is delivered to MY address and I am standing in the Polling Station with it I think it's 99.9% true that it says on it who I am.For the majority of voters I would say it's the same too ,so again why do I need secondary ID.