Voter ID pilot Schemes

ugly

LE
Why do you have a postal vote?

Why can you not vote on polling day? What are you doing all day Thursday that you can't tootle off to your polling station 5 minutes away?
Its not convenient for us to do so. We have applied and been granted the right to vote by post. Often I am in a different part of the country and this ensures that we all vote, something we cant guarantee without a postal vote.

ugly

LE
Exactly. Need, not convenience should be the determining factor in who gets postal votes.
When did you become the electoral police? If the law says that you can apply for a postal vote then it is your right to do so. I exercised that right as did the rest of m family!

Why is it not possible to vote over the internet?
Surely you could have an electoral website for each citizen similar to the HMRC online account. Each time there's an election you get sent a one time code to vote via internet by the electoral commision which combined with your online account verification process would be much safer than postal voting in most cases.

Surely you could have an electoral website for each citizen similar to the HMRC online account. Each time there's an election you get sent a one time code to vote via internet by the electoral commision which combined with your online account verification process would be much safer than postal voting in most cases.
Presumably the Russians would love that, a direct hack into the voting system..............(other states are available)

ugly

LE
They did consider offering an online voting scheme using mobile phone apps to attract the student vote (New Labour idea) but I think everyone poo poo'd it!
I for one would struggle, any govt computer system hates me, they even let me do paper tax returns because I keep falling off their system!

ugly

LE
Hopefully never going to happen. Neither the government nor the big name IT consultancies have the skills or ability to deliver a workable secure voting system.
within a meaningful budget or timescale!

ugly

LE
As they are getting paid it might be more accurate to describe them as temporary employees.
The legal definition comes with a contract, you can be a paid volunteer as opposed to an employee!

Hmmm why not go the whole hog and have all citizens chipped, then scanners could be used to access your citizenship records ,passport details ,bank account balances and criminal records when walking down the street or entering the supermarket or indeed going into a bar, it would stop most criminality but would need to be accepted by the law abiding majority.
For f@ck's sake. Genuinely, for f@ck's sake.

The powers that be can get into
1] all your banking details
2] medical records
3]shopping habits
4] everything you do on line
5] monitor all your phone calls
6]where you eat or drink out
7] where you work
8]how much money you make
If they have a mind to the security services can find everything about you, freedom you say,
that went a long time ago, if indeed there is such a thing as freedom in the first place,[/QUOTE

And yet, people have been reported, despite having lived and worked here for decades, because they couldn't prove when they were admitted here?
None of those Windrush deportees ever opened a bank account, were never issued NI nor NHS numbers, never paid taxes nor claimed any benefits?
Never worked, married, had kids, divorced, got christened?
Never bought anything, nor used computers?

But we're still deported, despite all those government departments having, presumably, decades of records about those individuals?

Norman Tebbitt describes the issue very well in an article in the Daily Telegraph in which he points out that Theresa May ain't doing too well.

Perversely, however, that foul smell of anti-Semitism may lead to Labour doing even better than expected in central London and in the Midlands where the harvesting of postal votes by local Muslim leaders will ensure very high turnouts for Labour candidates....
And therein is the issue. What price democracy?

I live in Australia as it happens and this is what obtains at the moment:

Under the existing Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 it is compulsory for Australian citizens aged 18 years or older, and who have lived at the same address for a month, to register their name and address on the electoral roll. Enrolment can be made online or by completing a form available from the Australian Electoral Commission.[17]

To enrol, citizens need to provide evidence of identity: a driver's licence, Australian passport number or have someone who is already on the roll to confirm the enrolee’s identity.[18]

While it is commonly understood that voting is compulsory for Australian citizens, in practice you are required only to present yourself at a voting booth and have your name marked off the roll. Because casting a ballot is done in secret, it is impossible to tell in a particular case whether a valid vote has actually been cast. A voter may have deposited a blank ballot paper in the box, for example.

On polling day, AEC officials ask each prospective voter the following questions:

• What is your full name?
  • Where do you live?
  • Have you voted before in this election?

If a voter’s name does not appear on the official ‘certified’ list, a voter can still cast a ballot in the form of a ‘declaration’ vote, and its eligibility is determined later, once relevant checks have been carried out:

You are issued a declaration vote if your name and/or address details cannot be found on the certified list used at the polling place at which you have come to vote, or if your name has already been marked as having voted. The envelope used to seal your ballot papers is called a declaration vote envelope. Your declaration vote ballot papers are inserted into the envelope and forwarded to the division in which you are claiming enrolment. The envelope has a counterfoil which is removed and filed in a 'declaration records' folder. This is a record that you voted at that particular polling place. You 'declare' that you are entitled to vote by signing the envelope.[19]

Thus, under present legislation, a person is not required to show ID in order to cast a ballot at a Federal election.

Nor, I might add, in any State or local government election where voting is also compulsory.

Love this. It sounds spot on. I might add that postal fraud occurs in some very white Anglo saxons constituencies in uk, assumptions of ethnicity and literacy don't cover the entire affair.

ugly

LE
They were deported for failing to apply for citizenship/naturalisation or whatever it was when they should have. Perhaps its the ministry of fu ck ups fault for failing to widely advertise this or perhaps its a cultural laziness issue, anyone hear of former Ugandan Asians being deported for failing to get their paperwork in order? No me neither!

ugly

LE
Love this. It sounds spot on. I might add that postal fraud occurs in some very white Anglo saxons constituencies in uk, assumptions of ethnicity and literacy don't cover the entire affair.
Committed allegedly by whom? Or aren't those figures available?

Polling cards are not needed to vote. It just makes life about one second faster for the minions at the polling station.
Plus, how long do you think it'll take me to counter fit it?
Depends if you are counterfeiting the paper, ink and fonts or just counterfeiting with a crayon.

Get a spelling minion though.

On a lighter note: many moons ago my boy spent a year in Israel, as part of his degree course.
While he was there, my daughter and I went out to visit.

Some 7 years later he went back for a holiday, where Israeli security told him to remind his sister to renew her passport, and asked how I was?

Some countries do things well.