• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Voter ID pilot Schemes

Perhaps we should all have a thumb(s) print on record?
Those without sufficient digits could be issued exemption cards. It would take a pretty determined fraudster to impersonate any one with an exemption.
Thumb prints could be used for travel purposes. A quick swipe on the way out and another on return. Anyone entering the country is then recorded.
Baddies would chop off thumbs without hesitation.

You know full well what I'm saying ,so your attempts at being obtuse are quite pathetic.
You are advocating that voters should be treated as attempting to vote fraudulently ,unless they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are who it says on the polling card. Obviously you will no mind living in a State with reduced civil liberties in order to root out a minority of people who abuse the system.
Shoplifters far out number Fraudulent Voters so would you find it acceptable ,if your local Supermarket demanded proof that you aren't a shoplifter before allowing you into the store, similarly would you be happy to have to produce ID and NHS card before being allowed to see your GP.
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are a complete simpleton.

The proposal is that voters should provide some form of ID when voting. I agree with the proposal.

All this bullshit about "beyond reasonable doubt", "reduced civil liberties", "rooting out minorities", "shoplifters" and "GPs" is just your usual lefty strawman, whataboutery and general foam-spattering hysteria fallback when you have no argument to make.

Cheers, easy.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are a complete simpleton.

The proposal is that voters should provide some form of ID when voting. I agree with the proposal.

All this bullshit about "beyond reasonable doubt", "reduced civil liberties", "rooting out minorities", "shoplifters" and "GPs" is just your usual lefty strawman, whataboutery and general foam-spattering hysteria fallback when you have no argument to make.

Cheers, easy.
You already have ID when you vote, it’s called a Polling Card delivered to your home address you simpleton........

You already have ID when you vote, it’s called a Polling Card delivered to your home address you simpleton........
Polling cards are not needed to vote. It just makes life about one second faster for the minions at the polling station.
Plus, how long do you think it'll take me to counter fit it?

Polling cards are not needed to vote. It just makes life about one second faster for the minions at the polling station.
Plus, how long do you think it'll take me to counter fit it?
Polling card is required in order to prove you are the voter and is checked against the roll in exchange for a voting slip.
You could make or acquire any sort of ID should you wish to so there has to be an assumption that you are genuine which is what this new rule would take away

Today Guardian has an article about the upcoming Voter ID pilots in May. Basically they are suggesting they are racist as producing ID for voting might be a bit hard for non whites.

Tories in new race row over identity checks for elections

Given the list acceptable forms of photo ID or if they are not available you can use supporting documents, I get the feeling Labour are being very condescending to ethnic minorities.

Voter ID Pilots

If I am reading the criteria for forms of voting ID correctly, you either have to have lived off the grid your entire life or just not be legally allowed to vote to be refused a ballot paper under this scheme.

Basically, it is the same criteria for picking up parcel from the post office.

Have the Guardian finally lost it or is it the begining of a National ID card?

I copied this quote directly from the article:

"Asking for voters IDs as a policy certainly has echoes of the strategy aimed at making society an uncomfortable place for illegal migrants.”

I should bloody hope they're making this country an uncomfortable place for illegal migrants!
Round them all up and deport them, the key is in the word "illegal".

Yes. If it helped to stop fraud. I'd be prepared to show ID. What's the poxy problem?
In the HO own figures only 1 conviction for voter fraud is recorded so why change the system when it isn’t required especially as less than 400 cases have actually been reported,

Polling card is required in order to prove you are the voter and is checked against the roll in exchange for a voting slip.
No it's not required. You say your name and address and if it's on the electoral roll you get handed a ballot.Can you see any flaws in that?

"Don't let that stop you voting, you don't need your polling card to vote if you are on the electoral register - and if you are unsure where you polling station is, your local authority can remind you."

Really? I've never once been asked for my polling card (I take it with me anyway), I just rock up. Tell 'em my name and address, and hey presto!