votematch - who should you be voting for?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Driving my family home from dinner tonight, I was listening to the BBC and they mention vote match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3753959.stm

"If you still cannot make up your mind who to vote for, there is always the StemWijzer (VoteMatch in Dutch), developed by the Dutch Centre for Political Participation.

By answering a series of questions about your political opinion on an EU president, a European ecotax or asylum policy, this website helps you establish which party you are closest to and shows your preference for the other parties in descending order. "

Just like dating websites, but for political parties, try it here:

http://votematch.co.uk/

This site is election specific so at the moment its focus is on issues that are within the remit of the European parliament. In the future it will also focus on general and council elections.

edied to add: looks like I got the Jury Team or the Tories for my top 2

Given that it was being promoted by the BBC, I am surprised that the default recommendation wasn't 'New Labour' regardless of the answers given. Still, UKIP for me again!

I can honestly say I had never heard of this Jury Team bunch before... and yet they (apparently) were my best option according to that site, with UKIP 2nd and the Tories hot on their heels.

Realistically... wont put pen to paper for Jury Team.

May do UKIP in the upcoming local elections as a vague protest thing... but doubt would follow through with them in a General Election.

Libertas, anyone?

I thought they should have included a "don't know" option in the quiz. I don't really have an opinion on copyright of sound recordings, for example.

Pompey_Jock said:
I can honestly say I had never heard of this Jury Team bunch before... and yet they (apparently) were my best option according to that site, with UKIP 2nd and the Tories hot on their heels.

Realistically... wont put pen to paper for Jury Team.

May do UKIP in the upcoming local elections as a vague protest thing... but doubt would follow through with them in a General Election.
Seconded. Until now I did'nt know they existed. 8O

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jury & UKIP also. Is this site a set-up?

Who are these Jury punters? Appeared second on my list too. Scary.

don't think I'll be following the "advice" of this site.

Libertas - whoever they are

I won Jury Team, whoever they are. Although, at the back of my mind I seem to have heard something of them. A lack of party politics and doing what is best for Britain comes out of the gloom.

Green party WTF?!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it just me or is that the most hypocritical and dumb questionnaire ever?

Most questions were based around the idea of what the EU should and shouldn't be doing, wilst making little play of questions around whether it should actually exist or not.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
TBH, I didn't know who they were either, its seems that they were formed this year by the looks of it.

Their website is here: http://www.juryteam.org/about.php

And these are a few of their proposals:

End of the Party Whips
Transparent Pay for MPs and MEPs
An independent Politicians Complaints Commission
Capping donations to political parties
Elected Select Committees
European Legislation applied appropriately
Term limits for MPs and MEPs
General elections every five years
Referendums as requested by 5% of the electorate
Government departments run by a Board
Independent publication of Government statistics

IMHO I don't think their going to make much of an impact, but may be worth a look in for your protest votes: better than those ignorant proto-fascists the BNP and the doolally bag of cats that is UKIP.

The vote-match site is currently configured to issues that are primarily concerned with what falls under the remit of the EU Parliament. Apparently when the next general election rolls around the questions will focus on the remit of national govt.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Biped said:
Is it just me or is that the most hypocritical and dumb questionnaire ever?

Most questions were based around the idea of what the EU should and shouldn't be doing, wilst making little play of questions around whether it should actually exist or not.
I can't argue with that at all, you are quite right those are questions that should be considered.

On the other hand here's what The Independent said back in 2007:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...urope-ever-done-for-us-apart-from-441138.html

I just resent voting for someone who doesnt live any where near me, works hundreds of miles away and will be part of a system I fiercely disagree with. We need a referendum on our continuing membership before I will send any one else of to Brussels

I'm quite liking the look of the Libertas guys - they've accepted that the EU is a fait accompli and so they're working on making the system more democratic and accountable; rathr than simply burying their heads in the sand. That's the kind of outlook I'm looking for.