VOTE FOR DANNATT !

i voted, then looked at who won it last year...

MOST INSPIRING POLITICAL FIGURE 2006

Tony Blair
David Cameron
Shami Chakrabarti
George Galloway
Bob Geldof
Jamie Oliver

a chef is hardly an inspiring precedent :)

Fair cop, CR, but let's try to do better this year ...
Anyway, having been to one of Dickie's cocktail parties, I can attest to a better selection of food than 'school dinners'.

Speaking as a great admirer of Richard Dannatt and having served with him as a fellow Green Howard and knowing that he stands head and shoulders as a man above any of those channel 4 have ranged against him I have to ask myself whether I am doing Sir Richard, a soldier, any favours at all by helping him achieve an accolade as a 'Political Figure'.

Sir Richard is the last man in the world who would want to be associated in any way shape or form with anything 'political'!

New Labour and indeed the Tories would just love that! That would be just the excuse they need to emasculate even further the already limited ability a senior soldier has to say anything at all! It legitimises a boot on the neck!

To taint him with anything remotely resembling a 'political' label is to give him and all who come after him the 'kiss of death'!

Political figures need public accolade to justify their existence - soldiers do not and should not because soldiers have nothing they need to prove to anyone!

Be careful what you wish for!

Regards and best wishes
Iolis

CRmeansCeilingReached said:

Tony Blair
David Cameron
Shami Chakrabarti
George Galloway
Bob Geldof
Jamie Oliver

I'd have to disagree, he may not be everyones cup of tea, but he has done a lot of charity based stuff, not to mention the school dinners thing. I'd prefer my kids have him as an inspiration than any of the others in the list.

Iolis,
My fellow colleague at work, who has also served as a GH for many years, has advised me that Sir Richard has always been a polital man, so there is no harm done here. He has also asked me to pass on the message: "Get back to work".
Maybe he knows you ... ?

okay, so who we gonna vote for instead then? i vote for the evangelist nutter Brian Haw:

Few people approach politics with the single-minded determination of Brian Haw. Since June 2, 2001, he has been manning his own, one-man vigil in front of parliament, in protest against the Iraq war.

He remains at his spot on the pavement day and night, sleeping a few hours a night under a tarpaulin and washing in a bucket. .
two years before we invaded? he is obviously prescient, and should be regarded as a modern-day messiah. or a homeless loony.

and where is he from? you can't make this stuff up :)

Born in Barking in 1949

(and yes, i know why he was really there from 2001, i was just being flippant :) )

Tony Blair
David Cameron
Shami Chakrabarti
George Galloway
Bob Geldof
Jamie Oliver

George Galloway? the only inspiration he would give me, would be to dream up cruel and unusual ways for him to die.

Tony Blair
David Cameron
Shami Chakrabarti
George Galloway
Bob Geldof
Jamie Oliver

Most of the above I would like to introduce to some fast flying lead.

THE SHORTLIST

AISHAH AZMI | Profile

TONY BLAIR | Profile
09011 27 27 02 or text AWARD BLAIR to 83188
Vote by email

DAVID CAMERON | Profile
09011 27 27 03 or text AWARD CAMERON to 83188
Vote by email

GENERAL SIR RICHARD DANNATT | Profile
09011 27 27 04 or text AWARD DANNATT to 83188
Vote by email

BRIAN HAW | Profile
09011 27 27 05 or text AWARD HAW to 83188
Vote by email

ARCHBISHOP OF YORK | Profile
09011 27 27 06 or text AWARD YORK to 83188
Vote by email

They have got to be having a giraffe!

okay, so who we gonna vote for instead then? i vote for the evangelist nutter Brian Haw:

Few people approach politics with the single-minded determination of Brian Haw. Since June 2, 2001, he has been manning his own, one-man vigil in front of parliament, in protest against the Iraq war.

He remains at his spot on the pavement day and night, sleeping a few hours a night under a tarpaulin and washing in a bucket. .
two years before we invaded? he is obviously prescient, and should be regarded as a modern-day messiah. or a homeless loony.

Born in Barking in 1949

(and yes, i know why he was really there from 2001, i was just being flippant :) )
I cannot vouch for the precise date that Mr Haw began his protest but I am led to believe that he began it when it became apparent to him and others the extent to which trade sanctions were damaging the most vulnerable people in Iraq under the late President Hussain - children being among among them.

Regards and best wishes
Iolis

Iolis said:

Born in Barking in 1949

I cannot vouch for the precise date that Mr Haw began his protest but I am led to believe that he began it when it became apparent to him and others the extent to which trade sanctions were damaging the most vulnerable people in Iraq under the late President Hussain - children being among among them.

Regards and best wishes
Iolis
i know, i know, it was only a joke iolis :)

He started the vigil to protest against the suffering of Iraqis under the UN sanctions regime, and the air raids mounted by Coalition air forces. Since then, the protest has expanded to take in the War on Terror, and Western military action in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Interested to note Brian Haw's birthplace...I would have thought he was from Dagenham, two stops beyond Barking!

Why vote for Dannat? ok he had the balls to speak out against BLiar's wars in foreign climes policy.............. and then backtracked faster than a Fiat tank when the political squeeze was put on him.

I voted for brian haw. I may not like a lot of what he says and some of what he stands for but he has had some boll*cks in carrying on his campiagn and fighting for our political freedoms.

Archbishop of York gets my vote simply for his cracking sense of humour. Wasn't it he who slept in a tent to highlight world poverty whilst his official residence was having an £X million upgrade?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
It would seem that I have in error, voted for Dannat using 9 different email accounts. Strange things these computers. Anyway, at least they'll all count.

I do sincerely hope that he hasn't been muzzled, he's been awfully quiet of late. Hasn't been found under a tree in a field round the back of his house has he?

Who, in Gods name came up with the shortlist. Are they drawing up a shortlist of cretins to swing the vote towards the one good bloke?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E The NAAFI Bar 3
Jip Travolta The Intelligence Cell 13
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4