VOTE FOR DANNATT !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by WincoSlayer, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i voted, then looked at who won it last year...

MOST INSPIRING POLITICAL FIGURE 2006

Tony Blair
    David Cameron
    Shami Chakrabarti
    George Galloway
    Bob Geldof
    Jamie Oliver

a chef is hardly an inspiring precedent :)

2. Fair cop, CR, but let's try to do better this year ...
    Anyway, having been to one of Dickie's cocktail parties, I can attest to a better selection of food than 'school dinners'.

3. Speaking as a great admirer of Richard Dannatt and having served with him as a fellow Green Howard and knowing that he stands head and shoulders as a man above any of those channel 4 have ranged against him I have to ask myself whether I am doing Sir Richard, a soldier, any favours at all by helping him achieve an accolade as a 'Political Figure'.

Sir Richard is the last man in the world who would want to be associated in any way shape or form with anything 'political'!

New Labour and indeed the Tories would just love that! That would be just the excuse they need to emasculate even further the already limited ability a senior soldier has to say anything at all! It legitimises a boot on the neck!

To taint him with anything remotely resembling a 'political' label is to give him and all who come after him the 'kiss of death'!

Political figures need public accolade to justify their existence - soldiers do not and should not because soldiers have nothing they need to prove to anyone!

Be careful what you wish for!

Regards and best wishes
    Iolis

4. Iolis. XIX forever

5. I'd have to disagree, he may not be everyones cup of tea, but he has done a lot of charity based stuff, not to mention the school dinners thing. I'd prefer my kids have him as an inspiration than any of the others in the list.

6. Iolis,
    My fellow colleague at work, who has also served as a GH for many years, has advised me that Sir Richard has always been a polital man, so there is no harm done here. He has also asked me to pass on the message: "Get back to work".
    Maybe he knows you ... ?

7. okay, so who we gonna vote for instead then? i vote for the evangelist nutter Brian Haw:

two years before we invaded? he is obviously prescient, and should be regarded as a modern-day messiah. or a homeless loony.

and where is he from? you can't make this stuff up :)

(and yes, i know why he was really there from 2001, i was just being flippant :) )

8. George Galloway? the only inspiration he would give me, would be to dream up cruel and unusual ways for him to die.

9. Most of the above I would like to introduce to some fast flying lead.

10. They have got to be having a giraffe!

11. I cannot vouch for the precise date that Mr Haw began his protest but I am led to believe that he began it when it became apparent to him and others the extent to which trade sanctions were damaging the most vulnerable people in Iraq under the late President Hussain - children being among among them.

Regards and best wishes
    Iolis

12. i know, i know, it was only a joke iolis :)

13. Interested to note Brian Haw's birthplace...I would have thought he was from Dagenham, two stops beyond Barking!

14. Why vote for Dannat? ok he had the balls to speak out against BLiar's wars in foreign climes policy.............. and then backtracked faster than a Fiat tank when the political squeeze was put on him.