Vote early, vote often - Problems with UK voting system

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Mar 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Latest story about postal voting. A general increase in postal vote applications would not be a surprise or concern in itself, but it seems that there has been a three-fold rise in some inner cities where there have already been allegations of vote-rigging in previous elections.

Neither the electoral authorities, nor the police, have the powers or the machinery to investigate any postal vote application without some definite grounds of suspicion.

A key factor in this type of fraud is the failure of the genuine individual to register to vote.

2. Bit worrying! 8O

Notice how they didnt mention that the fraud case was againt LABOUR officials. :roll:

What are the chances that if fraud was discovered on a huge sacle post-election, that the result would be called into question?

3. Why?

In itself an innocent comment, until I transposed it to hereabouts.

There is an EXTREMELY high student population in Talibanistan Minor.

There are also an extremely high number of these multiple occupancy dwellings owned by 'Absentee" landlords and companies , especially in Aston, Bordesley Green, Small Heath, Selly Oak, Edgbaston, Sparkbrook, Perry Bar, Handsworth etc. Any of you in DMS who lodge in the area will know what I mean.

Now I can't make a direct accusation, but I will certainly be making the suggestion to the Party , and local election officials, that house ownership is checked against postal vote applications. Not who lives there , but who owns the property.

My point is , in certain areas, houses are rented not just by students , but by families who may feel a burden of debt to vote the way a Landlord directs.

Now how can I prove a correlation between who owns a property , or a group thereof , and an increased number of postal vote applications?

Would the simplest way be to look at households with 5 applications and over? I mean, isn't it unusual in itself, for an entire household to all be applying for postal votes?

What is the simplest way to check this?
  4. Certainly might be no bad thing if party canvassers found some tactful way of actually mentioning to people they visit that they are on the electoral register. Would have to be done with great care and tact, to avoid annoyance and possible accusations of sections of the community being harassed.
  5. Does this mean that even The Guardian is now having an attack of consience about the Labour Government.
  6. Having seen the Lib Dem postal vote for a certain nameless Ward arrive at the count and it appear the size of an extra ballot box, I have been sceptical to say the least about postal voting for some time. It is also very easy for canvassers to note who are the disabled, elderly or habitual none voters and then ask for postal votes for these persons. After a while it gets easier with continued success, and then you get cocky. Adding on students who are away at University during term time, ex-tenants who vacated the property years ago, the dead, and people you have made up from whole cloth. A lot of the Neue Arbiet types trying it on now seem to be Asians. ( see the 6 councilors under suspicion named last week in the Independent )They have access to a wide network of multi-occpancy tenancys filled with brothers and cousins with similar sounding ethnic names. So it gets even easier and more tempting. Beats the hell out of actually working too. Most candidates I have met were lazy sdos who looked upon canvassing and other electioneering as beneath them.
  7. I am sure that the vast majority of canvassers and other party workers in the United Kingdom would not touch electoral fraud with a bargepole.

But once it starts, it may be spreading like an infection. In a hard-fought inner city contest, once the idea gets around that your opponents are indulging in electoral fraud but the authorities are nearly powerless to act, the temptation to the foolish and fanatical to "even up the score" must be overwhelming.

I have mentioned before that forces personnel could conceivably be one of the groups, as mentioned above by mussolini93, to be targetted for electoral fraud. Especially if they do not register to vote. This would not have been possible until the legislative changes in 2000/2001; and in the case of "service voter" registration, until MOD eventually abandoned having applications channelled centrally through their system.