Vote at 16.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by blue-sophist, Jul 5, 2007.

?
  1. 1. Shut up and eat your dinner.

74.0%
  2. 2. You are a good child, and I respect your right to be heard.

10.6%
  3. 3. WTF, any Government worth its salt will ignore the voters anyway.

15.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

This Island has enfranchised 16yo children, by a majority of 25 to 21 votes in The States [our Parliament].

The proposers of the motion visited schools to ask the children whether they should be allowed to vote. "Our community needs young people to become engaged in our democratic process", said Deputy Caroline Labey.

[edited to remove volatile link from Jersey Evening Post]

I therefore now live under the possibility that a 16 yo could determine my future. What are your views?

2. At 16, I felt like a mature and responsible person whos views should be counted.

Now, looking back, I can see I was immature, with ill-informed views, and far more susceptible to propoganda etc. than I realised at the time.

16 is too young to vote for anything serious. I am amazed that a group of adults has come to the conclusion that, at 16, someone is mature enough to vote.

3. Can you drive me to the poll please?

4. yer f*cked.

5. blue-sophist

Are you paying for the gas, kid?

6. I dunno how many 16 year olds work out your way??? He he he your screwed.

7. blue-sophist

Yup. Wakner politicians ... load of lefty, pinko, half-brained sh1tes [except for my brother-in-law, who voted against] :D

8. surely you can force them to vote for your party or they have to walk home!

9. You will participate in Democracy lil Timmy or no allowence for you!!!!

Or better yet, Mom you have to drive me to the Polls today!

Who had the bright idea to let 16 year olds vote? If I were 16 and could vote the drinking age would be lowered to 13. God only knows what else I could have thought up.

10. As THE_GOON put it
    At 16, most repeat most have no political motivation or real understanding

Personally , I don't beleive it could happen here, and if it were to happen , the apathy displayed at the last local and general elections would probably have still taken place.

Just a thought though, If U.K.plc were to give 16 yo the vote, the little scrotes would have an extra day off , as most schools close for polling

11. blue-sophist

Curiously, here we do not have political parties. They were tried in the 19th century, but were found to be divisive ... setting neighbour against neighbour, that sort of thing.

So ... you vote for:
    a. He seems nice.
    b. I have met him.
    c. He's part of the "establishment".
    d. He's promised me/mum/dad/my kid more benefits.
    e. WTF ... he'll do :roll:
    f. I can't be arrrsed, and it's raining.
    g. I have read and understood his policies and principles, and believe that it would be a substantial benefit to society if he were a representative of the people in The States.

12. Q

How many/percentage of local population turned up and voted at last election time?
    Does giving the kiddiewinks actually have any REAL power?

13. Hell... I'm all for raising the voting age to 25 and requiring at least a high school degree.

14. Whilst on the one hand I can understand the frustration of a disenfranchised 16yr old, who might well be well-informed and opinionated (I was a precocious little sod), I think that 18 is a sensible, if arbitrary milestone. If you cut it to 16, in 10 years there will be pressure to reduce further.

Engagement in the political process is not going to make teenagers content, stable citizens!

15. Maybe the point of this is to deal with that. That said at 16 I was politcally motivated and could not wait to vote as I had been brought up learning all about the difficulty for women to get the vote and the importance of voting by my grandad.

I understand that some 16 year olds are immature and more susceptible to propaganda but surely engaging them in the system is better than telling them they do not understand it and therefore do not have the right to be counted.