Builds Vosper 73Ft Motor torpedo boats

The Airfix 1/72 scale kit of the Motor Torpedo boat is based on the Vosper 73 foot type issued to Coastal forces in 1943. I can't find any images of them with mine laying gear but they were so fitted out and were very successful in that role, once they had fulfilled their mine laying obligation they were then free to go off and look for trouble, and the crews were all ready and itching for a fight.

one of the boats will have three moored mines on the Stern and two 18inch torpedoes on the bow, with two Lewis guns and a pair of "Five oh" Heavy machine guns port and Starboard.

the other boat will have Torpedoes and depth charges. The extras are Great little ships model parts from Hannnants.

The Airfix 1/72 scale kit of the Motor Torpedo boat

one of the boats will have three moored mines on the Stern and two 18inch torpedoes on the bow, with two Lewis guns and a pair of "Five oh" Heavy machine guns port and Starboard.

the other boat will have Torpedoes and depth charges. The extras are Great little ships model parts from Hannnants.
What no cutaway side showing the engines etc. ;):blowkiss:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
How effective as gunboats were these things? I imagine not much use if they were crashing over waves etc?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
How effective as gunboats were these things? I imagine not much use if they were crashing over waves etc?
They took a great deal of punishment, the Dieppe raid and St Nazaire proved that they could do the job, but up against powerful shore guns they were annihilated

1548779970643.png

Wow! Are you going to have them as waterline models going into action?

Also, do you get detailed instructions/shape info when building a PE item like that?

Last edited:
Water line, echelon formation, full speed run, decks cleared for action!

Found these on the net. Just for inspiration you understand :D
360_5a77d8ff2acf5a5b4befb46cfbd38937.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

And to maintain balance, Karl Dönitz's finest.
Revell S-100 Schnelboot by Danny Crossman - 22.jpg

dunno I wasn't there, but Lt Comd Bradford RNVR was ...

"they made no indication that they had seen us, I closed at speed, until at a range of about 40 yards, I felt the moment had arrived, and ordered open fire, at 40 yards my guns couldn't miss, the E boat shuddered and jerked as the gunners smothered it with high explosive, the opposition was feeble, a small squirt of a light machine gun, but it hit the magazine of the Oerlikon and the remaining rounds burned and exploded. However there was nothing to be done about it in the thick of the action. I concentrated on a quick kill and edged in closer. I could see large chunks flying off the E boats hull, and the deck lifting as our heavy stuff ripped into it's side and exploded.
Frank was enjoying himself with the twin light machine guns on the bridge just behind me. Squirting into the E boats bridge as fast as he could replace
the empty pans, we practically sawed it in half. The empty rounds rattled around our bridge, spattering my ears and down my collar in their hundreds.
We pressed in closer to twenty yards. The Oerlikon came back into action again. The crew had torn off the burning magazine and thrown it overboard, and put on another. With a belch of flame from the E boat, her decks folded as it hinged. She disintegrated and disappeared. I ducked as a deluge of wood and metal rattled down on our decks."

stirring stuff, and Like I said, balls of steel those guys.

Last edited:
one I made earlier on display at Tangmere aviation museum. You can get a nice feel of models over Coastal Navigation Charts, as opposed to waterline dioramas, my two, as I have said represent types fitted with alternative offensive weapon loads

very nice, get building Halftrack.
Boats, well, just don't float my boat normally. But I'm really I interested to follow this build. I had the motorised (Tamiya?) Vosper when I was a kid. Never remember what happened to it.

You mentioned your lack of pics of mines on MTB's on the modeling thread. Not to sure if the vospers carried large mines with sinkers. I think the gunboat version used a type of magnetic mine lobed over the side where the tubes would be. On this page there is a pic of a D ( or c) boat with mines fitted with sinkers. Hope this helps.
Gallery — Vernon Monument

daz

LE
Not much, you need a MGB for that role :)

daz

LE
Boats, well, just don't float my boat normally. But I'm really I interested to follow this build. I had the motorised (Tamiya?) Vosper when I was a kid. Never remember what happened to it.
I built the airfix kit (not long after it came out) and motorised it, I think there was an article in the airfix magazine showing how. I donated it to a mate’s dad who had driven something similar in the Far East. ‘Armoured’ with railway sleepers, they were used as practice targets for aircraft. I never got the full story, but he’d been captured by the Japanese and learned about railway building, something he never recovered from.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Airfix 1/72 scale kit of the Motor Torpedo boat is based on the Vosper 73 foot type issued to Coastal forces in 1943. I can't find any images of them with mine laying gear but they were so fitted out and were very successful in that role, once they had fulfilled their mine laying obligation they were then free to go off and look for trouble,
Best chap to chat for more images and good history is this chap

Take a look at Spitfires of the Sea (@SeaSpitfires): Spitfires of the Sea (@SeaSpitfires) on Twitter

I'll have a rummage through my books for some, but my focus is in the Eastern Med, Adriatic and Balkans.

Latest Threads