Volvo XC90 vs.Volkswagen Touareg

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Krazy_Ivan, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents (& ladies),

I am looking at getting a 4x4, 4-5 years old & spending up to £13,000.

I was originally going to get a Volvo C70, but last winter put the kybosh on that. She who must be obeyed has insisted that I get a 4x4, in order that K_I mk2 can get to school in any weather & Mrs K_I can get to the shops/her mothers. Immediately I thought of a Defender, but she's such a spaz she'd struggle with the gears never mind the diff lock.

Anyway, I've made my mind up I want to go for either the XC 90 D5 or the VW Touareg 2.5 diesel. Petrol is not an option.

I'm not bothered about a brand new car as I work abroad & will only get to drive it myself for 3 months every year

Can any kind arrsers provide me with advice one way or the other.

Oh yes, how are they with daft black labs in the boot vis a vis dog guards etc.
  2. Point out to your wife that a 4x4 estate car is the way forward... do they do a 4wd C70? Or if you want to go German, an A6 Estate?

Of the two you've got, seeing as what you seem to need is a car that pretends to be a 4x4 in order to keep the missus happy, the Volvo would seem the sensible choice.
  3. You might even consider (unless of course the missus is a badge snob) a Skoda Octavia Scout... Reasonably priced, cavernous, not too bad to drive and comfy.

Or just invest in a set of proper snow tyres for the car of your choice...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

For 13 grand you are gonna get a ******* dog of a Toureg or XC90 with high mileage.

I looked at and test drove both when I was looking at my current car and was dissapointed, I also looked at the new Discovery and in a fleeting moment of madness I even considered buying a Porsche Cayenne. In the end, I opted for a Nissan Pathfinder and it rocks.

13 grand will get you a medium spec one with about 30k on the clock. If your budget can stretch to the Aventura spec even better.

Upsides include seven seats, loads of space, mega towing capacity if you have a boat or something, pretty bombproof in comparison to it's rivals, excellent offroad, tough interior (completely dog and child proof), cheaper to run/maintain (realistic 34 mpg), lots of toys and gadgets if you get the Aventura.

Downsides include dated satnav (doesn't accept postcodes), slower than it's rivals, interior isn't quite as classy as it's rivals (typical Jap affair).
  5. I was waiting for Ravers to weigh in on this :). I had a 2005 Touareg V8 Petrol (go figure) and I adored it. Back in 2005 petrol was not what it is today. 2 years ago I traded it in for Subaru Legacy Diesel. I have a much bigger car so I was happy to trade down and I literally cut my fuel cost in half, not to mention maintenance. 4x4 estate is indeed the way to go. I have had a Defender before that and a number of 4WD estates before that (mostly quattro's). IF you need offroad cabability, and, like Ravers, own a boat (once a matelot...) and horses, he may well be right with his choice, but if you calculate the cost of an SUV vs. an estate 4x4, it is a no brainer. These 275/45 R20 look great until you get presented with the bill for a set of new Pirelli Scorpios. Winter tires become slowly but surely a necessity in the UK which will add to the cost and the smaller snow tires are, the better the grip. Look at the Legacy, Outback, A6, Skoda Superb, Volvo XC70 et, there is a whole range of others as well. 13K will not buy you a decent SUV.
  6. Considered a Subaru outback? They're supposed to be a quite good 4wd estate.
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Aye. I love my giant car, took it camping last weekend, 4 lads and gear, enough booze to sink a ship, tents, rape kit, meat, bbq, two air rifles and still had loads of room to spare. Had to drive through a river to get to our campsite at one point and the car just took it all in it's stride.
  8. 4wd car has to be the way ahead. I am sure there is a 4wd version of the V70 out there somewhere. V70XC if I recall correctly. Got to be a lot cheaper than an XC90. Otherwise any Subaru or 4wd Audi as other posters have said.
  9. Go for the XC70......4x4 capability.....not a Chelsea Tractor and pretty high spec. Try this one for size:

Volvo Used Vehicle Locator
  10. OK, I'll take that little lot onboard. Any thoughts on the Audi Allroad? Is it any good on snow & a wee bit of offroading?
  11. I've had an Audi Allroad, Volvo V70, XC70 and a VW...they are all great cars. The Audi is overpriced versus the Volvo. If you are going for an economical wagon that you can fit loads in then the XC70 is the one. Good MPG.....which the XC90 does not have.
  12. I believe the Nissan group use the Navteq CD or DVD navigation system. try entering the first 5 digits of a post code and see what it does, mine gets me within 100 yards of location doing this.
  13. Yes, built quality in the Audi tops Volvo by a mile, dash more pleasing to the eye etc, more options. Look at some road tests for more info. Not sure how they stack up in diesel consumption... Neither of which is made for offroading mind you. Snow is entirely down to appropriate tires, something you lot in blighty will find out the hard way in the winters to come...
  14. Unless you live well off the beaten track, why a 4 x 4?