Volvo - no longer what they used to be ?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by fantassin, Jun 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, shoot me for thinking about getting a quiche carrier but the local dealer currently does excellent rebates on the Volvo V70 with the new D3 5 cylinder 2 liter Diesel engine and I am seriously thinking about getting one....

Reading various Volvo users forums, I have noticed that a number of faithful customers are disgruntled with the latest generations Volvo and the sentence "no longer what it used to be" seems to often come back.

Anybody has had recent experience to dispel/reinforce those comments on the supposed drop in quality of Volvo ?
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I bought a V50 on an 05 plate with 130k on the clock earlier this year and it runs perfectly well.

The cabin storage areas aren't fantastic and the boot space is not huge, but then I downgraded from having 4x4s so that is to be expected.
  3. Just about to take delivery of my 6th Volvo, past models have been a 340, S40, V40, V70, S60 and now a C30. Never had any problem with them and post sale service has always been excellent.

If you are overseas as I am, you get the 17.5% VAT off and then up to 15% as a squaddy discount. On top of that, Volvo are definitely the best around when it comes to a PX deal - offering me £1500 more for my car than any other dealer. Their re-sale prices are also a lot higher than other, more common marques which is a bonus 2 or 3 years down the line when you want to change it.

The new generation Volvos are every bit as luxurious and well built as those in the past, the only real difference I have noticed is that they are now a lot more affordable.
  4. I'm running a 55-plate V70 which I've had for a few months. 100K on the clock but it should keep running for years. Just be aware that parts - let alone Volvo labour rates at £95/hr (!) - are HORRIBLY expensive: so think carefully about getting a good warranty.
  5. I, too bough a new generation Volvo. My experience was not good.

It had to be towed back to the dealer three times because the engine kept stopping. On the second occasion, the dealer attempted to blame the wife's driving! On the third occasion, they discovered a fault with the spark plugs and fixed it.

The central locking was stuffed from the day I bought it. Kept locking itself and turning on the alarm while the keys were in the ignition and the engine was running. Locked the wife and I out on one occasion and the engine ran on idle for several hours while the AA came to rescue us.

More worryingly, the AA bloke told us of instances where the car locks itself when the airbag deploys. Hence nobody can get in to rescue you from your crashed car.

The gearbox had to be replaced within a month of purchase.

It was delivered late and not in accordance with the required specification.

After that lot was fixed, the car ran perfectly for years, but I wouldn't buy another Volvo.

6. Have to agree with you there.....but on the downside if they do go iffy today it,s a case of hello mr dealer here,s a blank cheque...cnuts
  7. That is true but it is equally true for all marques. My Volvo (8 years old 99k on the clock) has its problems but no more than any other car of a similar age. Every time I take it to the dealer he says 500 euros - no matter what the fault but everything that goes wrong is now connected to the CPU so unless you really are IT literate and have the correct kit and software you cannot to anything yourself.

8. That's the kind of horror stories that seem to go around at the moment...and I am afraid that Volvo's take over by a chinese company is not going to help....

Anyway, thanks for all the interesting inputs.
  9. Jarrod i totally agree with you, if i want to fix my car i now have to plug me chuffing laptop in , wheres the fun in that. Give me a set points to adjust any day !!

10. The wife's now driving her fourth consecutive V70 (she does between 20 and 30,000 miles per year) although having a relative working for Ford made it affordable (family discount gives you dealer price, i.e. 75% of list price).

She's had diesels for the last three; the original D5 (165bhp), its replacement (185bhp), and decided for her most recent to avoid the 200bhp monster and go one size down.

Near-flawless reliability; cruises effortlessly; loads of room for the mini-GBs and a shedload of gear.

Her only complaint was the sudden reduction in turning circle with the Mk.2 V70 (current model is Mk.3 by my reckoning); her first was the Mk.1 740-replacement, and turned on a pin, the most recent has the S80 floorpan and isn't too bad, but the Mk.2 V70 required the five-point turn in all but the widest car parks.

Expensive to maintain, but solid as a rock.
  11. Were your wife V70s manual or automatic ? I want an automatic and the Geartronic also don't seem to rate very well...any informed comment on that score ?

Thanks !
  12. The Volvo........ the car of the senior ranks - it had to be an estate and it had to be black. Well that's what all the senior ranks drove when I was in.
  13. dont you chip your nails doing all that stuff jarrod?
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

On my 4th OVLOV now interspersed with a merc and a couple of SAABS. Curently on my first V70. 2lt D with the six speed box and i love it. Ok so its not as fast as my T5 S60. However its just as comfortable and the boot space is brilliant. MPG makes me smile all the time and driving it is a pleasure.
  15. Yep, turns like an oil tanker. My V70 T5 went perfectly til 147K then the oil pump went at 70mph, :evil: Mind you ever so comfortable.