Volunteers could guard some UK borders

According to the Home Office a volunteer force is being considered to man some smaller ports and air ports. Naturally this has been referred to as a Dads’ Army approach and pictures of Capt M, Sgt W and the rest of the gang adorn newspaper stories.
What I can’t quite understand is how such a stupid idea didn’t go into File 13 as soon as it appeared. Having had a vote to “take back control” of our borders the cheapest option is now being considered. Not exactly the most professional delivery of national security.

In his day this chap was a bit useful (in the trenches) though:

Volunteers 'could guard some UK borders'

Already mentioned in the EM thread, I felt the notion would get the respect it deserved there rather than in CA

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Finally, a calling in life for your average EDL mong.

Purely to see how quickly they start accepting back-handers for letting Johnny foreigners in.

The conservative government held/holds great store in what is euphemistically refered to as the "voluntary sector" the idea of volunteering supposedly being an underpinning principle of the "big society" and being previously championed by the likes of Call me Dave.
Whilst volunteering is generally laudable and has it's place in society it also has several limitations and disadvantages in the workplace.
Another of their favourites which sounds like a great idea until it encounters first contact with practical reality is the idea that billions can be saved by adopting the simple expedient of replacing thousands of full time workers with part time workers across various occupations.

Last edited:
What I can’t quite understand is how such a stupid idea didn’t go into File 13 as soon as it appeared. Having had a vote to “take back control” of our borders the cheapest option is now being considered. Not exactly the most professional delivery of national security.
Because due to cuts, it is not possible to keep the sticking plaster on anymore and say it's all fine?

When I left in 2016, Special Constables had been used to make up for a basic lack of manpower in my former farce. A friend who was an SPC showed me emails sent to him which were a general request for Specials from across the force to work one town over a weekend (not a holiday town or holiday period), as there were backed up calls from the proceeding 3 days and there was no way the force could service the expected calls over the weekend.

If Border force is anything like the police, I find it difficult to believe they are exempt from the demands caused by "efficiency" cuts.

So, if people are willing to put on a uniform and do something for free that the Home Office would otherwise pay for - they'll take anyone, I would have thought.

Whether the recruits will stay when they find out it's not quite as exciting as the Texas Border militia or whatever remains to be seen.....

If I can't mine the border with Wigan I'm out.

As we all know, the volunteer regiments got hand me down kit.
I am therefore going to volunteer immediately in the hope of getting one of THOSE rifles.
Of course you will get the rifle of your choice.

However, having done work with the Border Force I know that you won't get a magazine even if you get some rounds.

Much as I love pouring scorn on the Col Blimp schemes the Tories love to dream up, this one isn't necessarily as mad as it first seems. There's loads of little harbours, mariners & airfields where Jonny Foreigner can place his toes on the Green and Pleasant. Authorisizing harbour masters, or the bloke that pumps DERV/Avgas to scan the occasional passport in to the system has to be better than doing nothing. Waste of time mind, if there's no plod to call on if a Calais Trawler tips up looking like a National Express from Gilgit

According to the Home Office a volunteer force is being considered to man some smaller ports and air ports. Naturally this has been referred to as a Dads’ Army approach and pictures of Capt M, Sgt W and the rest of the gang adorn newspaper stories.

Options for change, reduce the army, this then is the outcome, a peoples militia, a throw back to before Cromwell's new modal army, I'm expecting the brown Bess musket to be issued, to supplement the pike and axe, god help us, beacause the Numptys in the government haven't a clue, mind you, they're quick enough to fill in their expense chitty, and vote themselves a pay rise, but the defence of our borders, naa! lets discuss it, at length, form committees, raise a quango to oversee it, appoint a minister, with staff, FFS were full, overflowing, councils cannot cope any more, homeless Brits are outed for Syrian refugees, and what do the deep thinking ones come up with, F*****g dads army, Christ on a 3 day leave, god save England from total prats.

Legion of frontiersmen surely?

Options for change, reduce the army, this then is the outcome, a peoples militia, a throw back to before Cromwell's new modal army, I'm expecting the brown Bess musket to be issued, to supplement the pike and axe, god help us, beacause the Numptys in the government haven't a clue, mind you, they're quick enough to fill in their expense chitty, and vote themselves a pay rise, but the defence of our borders, naa! lets discuss it, at length, form committees, raise a quango to oversee it, appoint a minister, with staff, FFS were full, overflowing, councils cannot cope any more, homeless Brits are outed for Syrian refugees, and what do the deep thinking ones come up with, F*****g dads army, Christ on a 3 day leave, god save England from total prats.
And breathe:meditate:

If we want to have a go at the something for nothing brigade, a debate on here that raises it's head now and again about various sections of society and I'm not entirely unsympathetic to some statements that are made about some of them, should we not now include the most likely well paid clowns who are suggesting this little idea as a part of the same club?