Volunteering with the ACF

muadib

Crow
I am not sure that this is the right forum for this topic but I would appreciate some (constructive) advice. I am a long time ex-regular army person who has been a CFAV with the RAFAC for a number of years and have now left and applied to join the ACF. Due to a family emergency I did not attend the county initial weekend and have now been told I have to wait until the end of April 2020 to go on the next one during which time I cannot attend any ACF activities or go to a detachment. I am DBS cleared by the way. Organizations like the cadets, RAFAC, ACF or Sea, are apparently crying out for volunteers but if you have to wait 6 months plus I am not surprised that a number bin it before they even get to a detachment. Do I appeal to higher echelons, bin it or wait? (I am led to believe that the issue is safeguarding training?)

I am not sure that this is the right forum for this topic but I would appreciate some (constructive) advice. I am a long time ex-regular army person who has been a CFAV with the RAFAC for a number of years and have now left and applied to join the ACF. Due to a family emergency I did not attend the county initial weekend and have now been told I have to wait until the end of April 2020 to go on the next one during which time I cannot attend any ACF activities or go to a detachment. I am DBS cleared by the way. Organizations like the cadets, RAFAC, ACF or Sea, are apparently crying out for volunteers but if you have to wait 6 months plus I am not surprised that a number bin it before they even get to a detachment. Do I appeal to higher echelons, bin it or wait? (I am led to believe that the issue is safeguarding training?)
I was accepted as a Potential instructor almost within a few weeks! Failed at the medical though

Pardon my being nosey but how come you left the RAFAC and are now going ACF and how long ago were you RAFAC?
To answer your post. I think the initial adult training for the ACF is now ponderous to say the least. In spite of you having DBS clearance you also need to be in date with other mandatory governance, red book test and safeguarding.
Given your background I would suggest seeing if you could do the mandatory governance and start parading. I’m not sure what the answer will be but I’d like to think that common sense would prevail. There is a staff member at my detachment who has missed some elements of adult training (although not the initial weekend) they will have to wait longer to be a fully fledged CFAV but are still a valued staff member.
The safeguarding training can be done in a couple of hours.
The cadet forces (certainly the ACF) are crying out for quality instructors despite the perceived slowness of the application process.

Edit. By the way, there is at least one long running thread on the site covering the subject of becoming a CFAV and associated questions.

Last edited:

muadib

Crow
I left the RAFAC in August this year after 13 years as I spent more time on paperwork / admin than training cadets. They have also started focusing more on STEM and aerospace (obviously being RAF orientated) and that's not my thing. I am short range, long range and DCCT E qualified, a Cadet SAA instructor, all the D of E and WGL. So you apply, they rush you through the application process, DBS etc and because you can't attend a weekend induction you are put on the back burner for 6 months before the next 'cycle' as they call it comes up next year. What a way to run an organization! I accept that safeguards must be in place to protect young people and staff, quote, 'but we need you to attend to make sure you are the right person to be a CFAV' it surprises me that the ACF get any volunteers at all at this rate - the people that ultimately lose out are the cadets. I will twiddle me thumbs for six months and see what transpires....

I left the RAFAC in August this year after 13 years as I spent more time on paperwork / admin than training cadets. They have also started focusing more on STEM and aerospace (obviously being RAF orientated) and that's not my thing. I am short range, long range and DCCT E qualified, a Cadet SAA instructor, all the D of E and WGL. So you apply, they rush you through the application process, DBS etc and because you can't attend a weekend induction you are put on the back burner for 6 months before the next 'cycle' as they call it comes up next year. What a way to run an organization! I accept that safeguards must be in place to protect young people and staff, quote, 'but we need you to attend to make sure you are the right person to be a CFAV' it surprises me that the ACF get any volunteers at all at this rate - the people that ultimately lose out are the cadets. I will twiddle me thumbs for six months and see what transpires....
Your frustration is understandable, given the qualifications and experience you have. As I implied I’m not a great fan of the current adult induction method. I don’t have a great deal of personal involvement with it and am not sure how much leeway can be granted Have you spoken to the CEO of whichever ACF you’re looking to join? With your quals and the timescale since you left the RAFAC, perhaps allowances could be made?

muadib

Crow
I have spoken to them and - 'the rules are the rules, I don't make them' etc. etc. and 'you are just the type of person we want' ??? , uncannily enough later on today someone has offered me another volunteering opportunity which I think I will accept - and I don't have to wait six months to do it - I won't give up on the ACF just yet though, the policy may change?!!! thanks for the advice. (I am actually semi-retired from work hence the available time)

I have spoken to them and - 'the rules are the rules, I don't make them' etc. etc. and 'you are just the type of person we want' ??? , uncannily enough later on today someone has offered me another volunteering opportunity which I think I will accept - and I don't have to wait six months to do it - I won't give up on the ACF just yet though, the policy may change?!!! thanks for the advice. (I am actually semi-retired from work hence the available time)
Fair enough. Good luck with whatever volunteering role you end up doing.

Latest Threads