Volunteering to help Ex Services

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Goatman, Jul 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er.......there is a government website for people who wish to volunteer in their local area at http://www.yearofthevolunteer.org/

To my complete lack of surprise, the drop down menu inviting you to register your postcode and area of interest ( " tell us what you are passionate about! " ) includes

the elderly
    drugs and addiction
    prisoners & ex offenders

.........no mention of either " Veterans" or " ex Services ".

This despite a separate banner declaring " This Month's theme - July is Veterans Month ! "

The Theme leads to a useful page http://www.yearofthevolunteer.org/html/months_theme.html

I know there are plenty of people out there who would like to volunteer to help the established Service charities but are unsure how to get in touch.. This site seems to act as a sort of UCCA for would-be Samaritans...surely they could put an option on their menu for people who have an interest in Veterans Affairs ?

Any moderator want to take this up with them and demonstrate the legendary Power of ARRSE ?

Le Chevre
  2. Having been a care assistant for the less fortunate since the year dot, it has been my unhappy experience to note that if people actually want to assist they will and do find these details for themselves. It is indeed unfortunate that we now appear to live in a society where our responsibility to care for the less able has been taken over by the concept of "volunteering" as if its an optional extra.
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well yeah...er....thanks for that Buttercup...concur.

Meanwhile, Mods, would you like to take up the point with www.yearofthevolunteer.org/ ?

Other than the drop down it is a useful portal.

Le Chevre
  4. The website is a partnership between the home office, Council for Voluntary Service and others. the government takes the lead on it.

My own opinion is that it is a big con anyway the year of volunteer etc yes, get funding for voluntary stuff and they will only give you it for the yearmop to 31 march 06..that is not much good for any organisation, never min d a voluntary one.
  5. I too wasn't impressed with it either canteen-cowboy but think it was a good spot of Goatman's that "July is Veterans Month" was carelessly omitted. I don't think this timely reminder was totally wasted though.

For those of you who would like to assist with BLESMA ( British Limbless Ex-Service Men's Association) and would like some pointers in that direction, please pm me and I will be delighted to have someone from BLESMA contact you. The role I am involved in covers the following:

1. Agree to visit between 12 - 15 ex-service people once every six months in the area you have chosen.

2. The visit can last up to an hour and its just checking that they are managing and general welfare. Taking a few notes is always handy.

3. If you have any concerns about the person you have visited, a phone call to the area supervisor will suffice and they will take it from there.

4. Mileage is paid for and relevant telephone costs.

Edited 30 July 2005 - Thanks to everyone who has contacted me however, due to unforeseen circumstances, I will no longer be an available contact on this site. May I please direct you to either calling BLESMA direct on tel:0208 590 1124 or email:blesma185@btconnect.com where they will be happy to have someone contact you in your area.

Again, many thanks for your support.
  6. I am an ex soldier who has only stumbled across thois board by accident.

Perhaps I have missed something but this seems to have got has got worse

Lots more choices for charities, but none of them e x services! You can voilunteer to help loads of PC charities -= but the closesd you moight get is

Mental Health or Ex offenders!

I will raise this with the Royal British Legion and ask someone there to take this up.
  7. As some of you know Im a full time Carer for my other half who has a chronic back injury and is bedridden.

It infuriates me how little is out there for ex servicemen support wise.

Im ashamed to say until I met the other half I hadn't even thought about it. I don't think many people do.

There is very little out there, volunteering and lack of recognition is a very small drop in a very large pond.

Did you know for instance that while ex serviceman are given priority treatment on the NHS in England, Scotland and Wales that does not infact apply in Northern Ireland?

We have the RBL and that is it here, many many ex servicemen just seem to fall through the net.

(DO NOT even go there with S.S.F.A IMHO they are a waste of space here, I can only comment on my local office)

Associations are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Again I can only comment on his Association. (treading carefully)

In the main there doesn't seem to be an awful lot out there.
  8. The RBL have taken the volunteeer site issue up.

BTW I know some people who work hard for SSAFA - mereminx, where do you live?
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I've now got a contact for the website and will see if we can get either 'Veterans' or 'Ex Services' added to the drop down.

Breath holding inadvisable....

Le Chevre
  10. Just saw this link in my mailbox: http://www.modoracle.com/?page=http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.h2f?id=9194&category=all&refresh=D3FAFEC4-C649-4A20-BED91079CDCB2725