Volunteering for SSAFA

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by oldbaldy, Aug 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

A number of people have contacted me to enquire about volunteering for SSAFA.
    If anyone else wishes to volunteer & wants more information please feel free to contact me by PM in the first instance.

There are vacancies in all parts of the world. :D
  2. Thanks OldBaldy - I'm grateful to you for the lead.
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks for the data you sent me, oldbaldy.

I've made contact with Chester SSAFA. Maybe I'll write a diary of how the matter progresses.
  4. Chester? Well I never, I was born there, most of my family still live in and around the area, all exept me that it, emigrated daaarrrnnn saaaarrrrffff! I get up there about 5 times a year, love going on the lash in Chester, top place.
  5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Odd world. I've ended up here due to ex's job, although I was born in East Anglia and never settled anywhere - darn those RAF parents of mine! I get away about 5 times a year!

Maybe we should arrange a Chester Arrse pub crawl next time you're around.
  6. Take it they were based at Sealand then?
  7. Grownup_Rafbrat

no, surprisingly. They met whilst stationed at Duxford. As time went by and children came along mother retired. Dad took us to Feltwell, Lyneham, Khormaksar, Odiham, Wildenrath and Wittering, and had a few short term spells 'away from home', but never came to Sealand.

After a bit of travelling myself, I married a banker (o how true those words are!) and ended up living near his employer's development site in the North West. I'm here at least until the offspring heads to uni, next year if I'm lucky.

Could be a quiz now - looking at those postings, what was he working on? Probably break the official secrets act though. :)
  8. I was going to say why move because Chesters great but then I remembered that I moved away!!
  9. I am a SSAFA Caseworker in the Portsmouth Division which covers the City of Portsmouth only. My wife is the Divisional Secretary. I believe that we are the busiest Division in SSAFA as we get 20 - 30 new cases every week!!! The surprising statistic to come out of the figures is that the greatest percentage of cases at present are ex-Army and this is a Naval Garrison town. This is due to the activities in WWII when Pompey was a strategic Naval Base and was defended by many Ack Ack Batteries who were manned by the Army, they were young men and trapped the local talent , married them and settled in the city. Now they are old and require assistance (or their widows do).

I echo JD's comments about most SSAFA Volunteers being oldies, out of about 20 volunteers I am the second youngest - and I am 60 in November!!!. They are really good volunteers BUT they refuse to move with the times and most of them refuse refresher or training courses, especialy IT. But they are all volunteers and still get through an amazing number of cases between them. Our oldest volunteer is a retired spinster Major ex-WRAC who is 93, deaf as a post and still works in the office helping with the mail and filing three mornings a week, driving herself there in her old battered car.

There is a great need for new and younger volunteers / caseworkers required in most divisions. You only have to devote the amount of time you can spare from a few hours a month to a few days a week or whatever. You do not have to be ex services - amongst our Caseworkers and Volunteers are ex-teachers, ex-police, housewives, etc - and of course ex-service. Full training is given on a three day Caseworkers Course at Central Office by Tower Bridge in London with accommoddation usually in the UJC or if that is full then the Premier Inn Tower Bridge, all expenses paid.

If you feel you could help out then please have a look at the website and get in touch with SSAFA Central Office, they will put you in touch with your local Divisional Secretary who will arrange to have a little chat with you and fill the forms out with you if you still want to go ahead as a volunteer. Read the Information here --> http://www.ssafa.org.uk/getInvolved.html
  10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Thanks to all the extra people who have contacted me.
    I have been out all afternoon & am now out for the evening.
    Rest assured you will all be most welcome to join us.
    As I said elsewhere I am a Divisional Secretary of 10 years experience & would be happy for any of you to join my team, problem is non of you live in East Anglia!
    Will give all the information you require over the weekend.
  11. Bump.C'mon folks volunteer!!
  12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Was writing PMs like mad when I got in last night.
    Nobody in your neck of the woods yet or mine. :cry:
  13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Well, Chester are going to send me a DVD, and I'm going to write and tell them what I can offer. Looks like this might be a goer.
  14. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

You will be more than welcome. :D
  15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Returned from holiday, watched the DVD, read the leaflets, and have just written my letter of application.

Watch this space - diary of a rookie SSAFA Sister!