Volunteering Again

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by GLIDER, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right guys, im just about to finish my POTL and am thinking of doing another tour. How quickly can i volunteer to mobilise again? Im due to go back to my unit on the 4th November so should i wait until then to go and speak to someone or should i just go in on my next possible drill night? Also, my unit is very short of numbers at the moment with a lot of lads away on OP TOSSER, sorry OP TOSCA so could they refuse to mobilise me because of this.

Cheers in advance
  2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

We (7 Rifles) have lads who just come of POTL from Herrick 7 and are coming out on Herrick 10, so it is possible, though I think that this might be a case of volunteering for FTRS.

I'm guessing by your name and avatar that you're Duke of Lancs. How did you guys manage to wangle a Tosca tour? The very word 'Cyprus' is forbidden in our battalion ("If you can afford to mobilise again, you're going to Afghanistan!") and assumed that this was across the board for the Infantry.
  3. Yup, Duke of Lancs i am, im not up on how we got the Tosca tour as i was in sunny afghan at the time but my guess is that some sort of Force Protection mob was needed so they picked us. The whole thing looks a breeze to me, looking at some of my friends pictures!!!

So FTRS may be the only possible way to mobilise again? I know that 1LANCS have just come back from TELIC so wont be out again for a while and also 2LANCS have just moved to cyprus so no chance of a tour for them either. Is it possible to FTRS with another capbadge??

4. msr

msr LE

I would recommend that you give it some time before you go again, if not from a rules and regulations point of view, then from a mental health one.

If you are that army barmy, why not go regular?

5. Id like to go regular but i would have to do all of the basic training again and to be quite honest, i couldnt see myself doing the whole 'yes corporal, no corporal' thing all over again!!
  6. If the Bn you deploy with (regular) like you they can take you on board after the tour, they did with 2 of our lads and just made them do the 2 week battle camp at ITC followed by Induction week at the Bn.

Could be worth a look?

Alternatively you could wait and see if this reserves review will make it easier to go from trained TA bod with a tour under his belt to regular without doing Phase 1 again.
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

2 RIFLES are going to Sangin Valley on Herrick 10. Deployment in March 2009, first mobilisation tranches start next month. Come out with us mate.
  8. BW (3 Scots) is out same time and area with some of our lads..you could go with the Jocks of 7 Scots... :)