Volunteer DfID force to replace the TA- would you transfer?

Would you prefer to serve your country as a civvy or as a soldier

• I would rather be mobilised in a military capacity with my military skills

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would rather be mobilised in a military capacity with my civvy skills

• I would rather be mobilised in a civilian capacity with my civvy skills

• Total voters
All,

The military is not a vote winner as we are constantly being told, and is therefore funded likewise.

When it comes to cuts the TA are clearly the Reserve of First Choice. It is increasingly apparent that year in and year out our lords and masters cannot afford the TA (and either haven't the balls or ability to tell you that before you plan the training year).

There are sweeping changes being discussed for the TA on these very boards and possibly a preference to mobilising you for service with your civilians skills rather than your military ones, which may in turn be better suited to non-military organisations such as DfID.

A hypothetical question.

Would you as rather be mobilised using your civilian skills for a civilian organisation or your military skills for a military organisation?

The last option already exists and in the IT/ICS/RSigs world, it appears their are more oppurtunities to go as a civvie than a soldier (see securitycleared.com for starters)

Bit early in the day to start talking about replacements, although I do expect the TA in 6 months time wont be the same as it is now.

Aaaargh! Such a skewed question! This is why despots love referendums.

How about this question:

"To save the TA, will you allow yourself to be mobilised as a TA soldier for your civilian skills as well as for your military ones?"

Dr_Evil said:

How about this question:

"To save the TA, will you allow yourself to be mobilised as a TA soldier for your civilian skills as well as for your military ones?"
To save the TA just for the sake of saving the TA? or because the MoD funding would get chopped further and then what would we do with all those regular posts that vanished? (Edited to add - the cynical option :) )

the point shouldnt be what we should do with the TA to make the MoD value us more. its not us who need to change its those who make decisions, like suspending your only reserve during a war, that need to change.

we were asked to provide individuals and formed units for an undermanned regular army. we have done so. we have done everything asked of us and done it well beyond all expectations.

i do not think we should be looking to change the TA. We know we have been treated disgracefully and its time those who made this decision woke up to it.

The limited size of the regular army dictates we will always need the support of a TA when the unexpected happens. this is unless we accept the fact we are going to be a minor part of a European army and our reserve may be speaking a different language. :x

Dr_Evil said:

How about this question:

Ignoring the civvy option - I've no doubt there may be those uncomfortable with the answer (unverifiable as it is from this site).

Not sure the military has a requirement for a nanotechnologist /mechatronics engineer... :roll: Think I'd rather be mobilised in my comms role; more fun playing with paper cups and string :-D

My civvie skills are my mil role skills and I mobilise to use them already. But I wouldn't join DfID.

Dr_Evil said:
But that's the entrance criteron in my unit....

polar said:
The last option already exists and in the IT/ICS/RSigs world, it appears their are more oppurtunities to go as a civvie than a soldier (see securitycleared.com for starters)
Checked out that link lately? :wink:

R

really?_fascinating

fusilier - it is you who needs to change. You are not a reserve (as not wholly uncommitted and available to the operational commander).

Furthermore the TA is set up in hundreds of units and subunits when the need is for individual replacements - your structure is massively ineffective.

If you do not think you should be looking to reorganise the TA, you have missed the point!

really?_fascinating said:
Furthermore the TA is set up in hundreds of units and subunits when the need is for individual replacements - your structure is massively ineffective.

If you do not think you should be looking to reorganise the TA, you have missed the point!
It's called 'footprint' and just because there is no function in your spreadsheet to calculate it, does not mean it has no value.

msr

:) boody good point!

msr said:
really?_fascinating said:

It's called 'footprint' and just because there is no function in your spreadsheet to calculate it, does not mean it has no value.

msr
We could extrapolate that further to say that we only need one giant garrison town, and then put the whole of the UK armed forces in it. That would save £200 million in boarding allowances, and there would be no need for service accomodation....

...and bloody green to boot - no commute required!

Mr_Deputy said:
putteesinmyhands said:
Dr_Evil said:
But that's the entrance criteron in my unit....
There is a kind of TA Domestic Crisis Reaction/Defence Force isn't there? You train to help out in case of attck or disaster. I looked into becoming part of this - I think it is a very useful roll and could contribute alot if used well - could help out in many situations - (and could be fun to be part of) but would have had to do basic again and (mumble mumble busy, job, knees etc)

]

I think you refer to the Civil Contingency Reaction Force (TM). This was flavour of the month just after 9/11, and the TA got jiffed for some bits of this. I think it got us a couple of extra MTDs, but used up a training weekend.

Certainly over the past couple of years this appears to have diminished in importance, with hardly any training activity being spent on it. Given the current financial disaster, I can't see it being reinstated.

Personally, as a full time Snivel Serpent, I joined the TA to shoot things, run about, and all that other good stuff. Now, if they want me to go out to a desert and do Civil Service things, like teaching the Afghans how to lie on their annual appraisals and fill out Equal Opportunities questionnaires, I bloody well insist on going armed, and in green. Six months of the likes of me telling them to do their filing in case of a Freedom of Information request, and they are likely to call in a personal jihad on me. In triplicate.

HectortheInspector said:
Personally, as a full time Snivel Serpent, I joined the TA to shoot things, run about, and all that other good stuff. Now, if they want me to go out to a desert and do Civil Service things, like teaching the Afghans how to lie on their annual appraisals and fill out Equal Opportunities questionnaires, I bloody well insist on going armed, and in green. Six months of the likes of me telling them to do their filing in case of a Freedom of Information request, and they are likely to call in a personal jihad on me. In triplicate.
You obviously haven't seen the amount we get mate. Pay for the S2O stuff is lots of pennies (for a civil servant anyway).

I'd go as either a civvy or a squaddy. There is no point going as a civvy with my military skills, and I don't think the big wigs would like a full screw advising them on policy, etc. Therefore, it kind of narrows it down.

P.S. It's about time I went and got another gong.